Friday, September 11, 2026

Friday Favourites: September Thoughts

 




Today's skies are clouded, the light dull. Temperatures are inching downwards ever so slowly. From my window I see the top lilac leaves have changed to deep brown-red. The birch tree leaves look tired and worn. It will be another six or eight weeks before the trees are bare, but yesterday, while I was running errands, gusts of wind blew handfuls of crisp leaves across the streets. 

Earlier in the week, I went to cut some basil to make pesto. The skies were that deep blue of September, like a glass bowl over the earth. Apart from the bees busy among the cosmos and mint flowers, the air was still and hushed. Golden light poured over everything. My heart ached with the beauty of the day. Beauty - "heaven's sweet gift" according to poet Gerard Manley Hopkins. I could hardly bear to return indoors and clipped a bouquet of zinnias along with the basil, and took time to admire the lingering sweet peas, bright Rudbeckia, and creamy roses. 


My reading lately has been a bit sporadic. I've indulged in dipping in and out of several books, and some older Victoria and British Country Living magazines. The books that appeal to me most are gentle reads, many from my own shelves. Here are the books I've finished most recently.

September by Rosamunde Pilcher

When I finished September, I closed the book with a sigh of contentment. I do love the settings she evokes, and the description of the homes people live in. 

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

I had not previously read this classic, said to be the first of the British Detective style of novel. It took awhile to get into the rhythm of the story, but once I did, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Parisian Heist by Jo Piazza

A most unlikely story that had me skipping over sections to finish. It's a dual time-line novel set in the fine art world, focusing on the Van Gogh family - Vincent, his brother Theo, and Theo's wife Jo. I didn't really enjoy this book despite my appreciation for Van Gogh's art.  


The setting sun captured from our patio deck one evening. 


There are three large platters of tomatoes ripening on the dining room table. I grew Mortgage Lifters this year and they are large and meaty. And oh, so sweet. I've preserved some, and we've been enjoying eating them in a variety of ways. A tomato tart is a delicious thing for supper. I posted the recipe on my Substack here, and will add it to my recipe blog later. 

I'm wondering about moving everything to Substack, as I can have different "publications" all tied to the same profile and account. Blogger has been rather full of glitches lately, although they seem to be resolved now. 


Cosmos in that golden light of the morning I mentioned earlier. They are sprawling all over the garden beds, and I am so reluctant to trim them. Since my husband became a beekeeper, I'm more aware of the honey bees that visit my garden. The beehives are at our daughter's small acreage a few kilometres away, but Tim tells me that bees forage quite far. He's also mentioned that late summer/early autumn is when pollen is more scarce and the bees sometimes struggle to find food to carry them through the winter. So I'll leave the cosmos sprawl until frost kills them and the bees hunker down in their cozy hives. 


Nine little jars of basil pesto to store in the freezer. It's so delicious slathered on salmon before baking it, or bread, or tomatoes, or stirred into vegetable soups. I also like it on crackers and cheese. My basil has been prolific this year, and I will likely dry the remainder. 


As long as autumn lasts, I shall not have hands, canvas and colors enough 
to paint the beautiful things I see.
Vincent Van Gogh

I wish you delightful moments of capturing in your mind or on paper or canvas, or photos the beautiful things you see this autumn, or spring if you live in the Southern Hemisphere. 

18 comments:

  1. Your words made me want to step outside and pay a little more attention to what is changing around me. I especially understand that feeling of seeing something so beautiful that you almost don’t want to leave it and go back indoors. September has that effect on me too. There is something tender about knowing the season is changing... and that these little wonderufl moments won’t last forever.

    https://kostbaar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Foolishly I donated my Rosamunde Pilcher books in a fit of decluttering. This week I went to the thrift store and bought 4 of hers. September was not one of them but I go often and will keep checking. Your zinnias are lovely. Mine have many dry leaves but the flowers are still pretty.
    It is indeed a wonderful time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always it’s a pleasure to read one of your heart lifting posts. Beautiful images of September days and I love the little pots of pesto to freeze. I’ve just finished September too. My one thought was she wrote it in her mid sixties but she sounds older in-the way she writes about life. Thirty six years ago, very different times. B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything here is so beautiful. Your pesto looks divine. I didn't get enough basil to make it this year so a bit of "green with envy" here! I have The Moonstone here at the lake and haven't read it either -- I was thinking of bringing it home for winter reading. Yes, think I will! I have bookmarked you so while Blogger is having its current fit, I can still visit! Have a great new week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely glimpse into September’s gentle shift. I could almost feel the golden light and hear the bees among the cosmos as you described it. Your pesto jars sound like little treasures of summer, and those tomatoes must taste incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You take beautiful photos! I lve the sprig of basil in front of the jars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos, Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. September! Of course! The perfect read for now. I've just started 'A fortnight in September ' by R C Sherriff too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a wonderful job, dear Lorrie—both with the basil pesto and your tomato tart. They both look delicious and are sure to taste amazing.
    The autumn flowers, and especially the roses, are blooming so beautifully in the garden right now.
    We’re really enjoying it, aren't we? :-))
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your floral photos are so pretty. They look like they could be featured on calendars.

    I have a Substack account, but rarely go on the platform. I do like how you can "like" a post, so you can indicate that you enjoyed a post without leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A feel such a wonderful September vibe from your post! You reminded me I should buy a book for a little get-away I have planned for mid October. May go the route of Rosamunde Pilcher.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to return to your book list when I need a new book. I particularly could re-read Rosamunde Pilcher's books. Oh the zinnias in your first picture and the cosmos later on touch my heart. Yes, to tomato tarts at this abundance season. Apples and pesto too! Yummm! Happy Fall/Autumn time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is jam packed with some of my absolute favorite things.
    Isn't September a beautiful month :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've recently opened a substack account as well but I'm not sure what to do with it. I've read your last two posts there and they were beautiful and different from your posts here. I'm still wondering about mine.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Lorrie, I just found your post, as Blogger has been acting up again and not updating my blog list of new posts. Now I know what is happening to a few others, I am at least aware that 'things are not quite right'. What a gorgeous photo of zinnias, which really have a beautiful colour range. Also the Cosmos, which is something we grow as well, and a pretty pink. We are planting some Cosmos seeds as we just bought a 'Bee Hotel' for our native Australian bees which are also affected by bee problems. They are quite tiny and we don't raid them for honey, just want to keep them in the eco system. We have planted lavender for them too. I'd love to know your Pesto recipe some time. We had a bumper crop of basil but alas, I did not learn to make Pesto in time and it died off while we were away. However, I am trying again as it seems to like the soil here. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another lovely post. . . and moreover, after agonising over the Blogger list that doesn't move, your update just appeared on the sidebar of my blog ❤️ Oh joy, oh rapture. It's been a week, I think, with the problem. Have a pleasant rest of the week !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your September sounds and looks perfectly wonderful, Lorrie. Tomato Tart is one of my all time favorite meals!, and yours looks heavenly. You’ve been busy in your prolific garden with this beautiful jars of pesto. Ahhh September by Rosamunde Pilcher is one of my favorite books. Oh how I love her characters and settings. I should reread it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Blogtober 2: Paintings of Domestic Scenes

  Flowers in the Window by Carl Larsson I've long been an admirer of Carl Larsson's paintings of his home life. They are filled with...