Sunday, December 05, 2010

Second Sunday of Advent


Advent - a time of preparation. In the heart and in the home, a time to prepare for the celebration of Christ's birth. What's most important is to ensure a balance - for me that means taking time to be quiet and still. And then to get on with the tasks I've planned. Stillness before activity works best for me.

Preparation around our house traditionally means lots of baking. Yes, it's just the two of us, but the children will be coming for visits and I like to have cookies and snacks on hand. I don't double the recipes as in years past, but there's still a good selection in the freezer.

My husband is one of the fortunate ones who hasn't gained a pound in over 30 years. And I do feed him well. But he has cookies everyday, so I bake year round. At Christmas I bring out special recipes, like this one. It's called Toasted Almond Chip Balls, but we call it Mary's grandmother's cookies because a friend of ours gave it to us and said it was from her grandmother. Whatever the name, they are delicious. And easy. And they keep well in the freezer.

Toasted Almond Chip Balls

2 cups flour
1 cup chocolate chips, chopped (or use mini chocolate chips)
1 cup chopped toasted almonds (toast for 8-10 minutes at 350 - then cool)
1 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup white sugar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons almond extract

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and knead well. Use two hands. It's lovely and therapeutic, and would work well with children, too.

Form into 1 inch balls. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Roll immediately in sifted icing sugar, then place on a rack (or brown paper) to cool.

For more Advent posts please visit Floss at Troc, Broc and Recup'.



6 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:38 PM

    Hi Lorrie,
    I've enjoyed your Advent posts,
    and thanks for the recipe. I'm going to give them a try. :-)
    Your mantle is beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks a great recipe - I love the ones that are 'all in' like that, and so delicious too! I've been baking this weekend (mince pies with Son 1) and will be making gingernuts for a cookie exchange later today! Then I think it's all ready for Christmas, except for a few more mince pies nearer the day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi lorrie
    the almond chip balls looking delicious.thanks for the recipe!
    have a nice time,
    hugs regina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to have to try those, they seem easy and fast to make :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound yummy and really easy. I'm printing it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...