Sunday, January 29, 2017

No Pretty Pictures



Blogging experts say to never put up a post without a photo. Well, I'm doing just that. I'd like, instead, to tell you a little story. It's a story that hasn't ended yet, but a brand new chapter has begun. I can't give you names and too many details in order to protect the characters, but this is a true story. 

A Canadian archaeologist and her husband spent quite a lot of time on digs in Syria. While there, they built relationships with the local people. Hardworking, honest people who wanted only to make a decent living for their families, to sit around a table with friends, to educate their children, to laugh and eat and drink. In peace. 

Then came war. A war that ripped the fabric of Syrian life apart. Safety and security disappeared. There were no more archaeological digs. Food became scarce, safety illusory. Horror grew.

The Canadian couple began the refugee process for this family of several grown siblings and their dependents. One by one the families are coming to Canada. To relief from war, from fear of bombings and brutality.

In November I wrote a post about helping our daughter and son-in-law finish a basement suite. 

I'm so pleased that today, in that tiny two-bedroom suite, lives a beautiful little family. A father, a mother, and two small, very small, children. They have peace. They are surely homesick for what they once knew. They feel alien. They need to learn English and will begin classes in a few weeks. 

When it snowed, the father took his little daughter outdoors and she was enchanted, playing and laughing as snowflakes fell. 

Our children came home from work one day this past week to find that their back yard, once full of lumps and potholes, had been dug and smoothed, and is ready for grass seed. The young father and his brother, also newly arrived to Canada, want to work. They need something to do. And so they did this. 

Our daughter visits the young mother and her children; she goes down for tea and they communicate in broken English, lots of sign language, and plenty of smiles. 

I am proud, oh so proud, of our children, all of them. Our other children have donated generously to help refugees. This pair has given time and space and money to help provide a refuge for refugees.

During the second World War, there are many stories of Christians helping Jews. But there are also stories of Muslims hiding Jews

This is not a political post. This is a post about people, real people who are grateful, so very grateful, for a chance to build a new life with their children. 

"I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me." Matthew 25:35





31 comments:

  1. Beautiful post about happiness. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kindness , compassion. How much they are needed especially with the turmoil at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need to keep our hearts and homes open to those in need...i applaud what your family is doing to help this family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly what I needed to read today amongst the horrors that have happened this week in the US. Thank you so much for this happy ending. BLess all of those involved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No picture could have captured the beauty of this story. Thank you for sharing, Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for this much-needed balm, especially this evening. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keeping open hearts, hands, minds and doors, this is humanity at work and it is humbling. Beautiful post, Lorrie, your family is a credit to you indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At this moment in time when so many doors are being tightly closed to migrants this has cheered my heart

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to hear that there is hope and goodness in this topsy turvy world of ours just now. Have you read the book "The Optician of Lampedusa" a true story by Emma Jane Kirby? It isd a thought provoking read and one I think more people should read as it is on the subject of migrants and those who would help them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a heartening post in these scary times. Thank you :) B x

    ReplyDelete
  11. No pictures were needed, such a heartwarming post to read after the despair of the past week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish the family well and admire your family for reaching out and helping.
    I illustrated this heart warming story by making my own pictures in my mind.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your beautiful story of caring and love.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, photos not needed when you have given us such cheering, heartening news. We love the story ... many blessings to that little family and to all your family as you begin this new venture of reaching out and loving.

    Hugs,
    Brenda
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so happy that you posted this. It's a wonderful thing that your family can do for people from that war torn country (and wonderful (but unsurprising) that the newcomers want to help and express their thanks in concrete ways .... Since you say it is not a political post I will only say that I am envious of the leadership your country has right now . And sad for our side of the border.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know you're proud of your children. It's such a joy when we see them following Christ's example and obeying his commands.
    They will forever be part of that family's story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your story creates many visual pictures in the mind. Wonderful, you must be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just wept tears of both sadness and also joy for what your family is doing to help. I have had such heartache these past several days, living where suddenly everything that I grew up believing in has been ripped away from the very process that has helped for the great country where I live. These are human beings, these are people like we ourselves and now many are torn from any hope, many families have been even further ripped apart and I don't have words to describe how my heart aches. You are to be blessed abundantly for what your family and others are doing...now...if only. God bless~

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an inspiring story. I know God will bless them all. They are living the way of 'give' and that's what we should all aspire to do! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lorrie, Please thank you family for taking this family into their home. I wish I could do that in my basement, but no room. It is a sad situation here in the state right now, but this story gives me hope. The Syrian people need hope and help.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How lovely. How generous. How kind This is how ordinary people show they are extraordinary. Bless them all

    ReplyDelete
  22. God bless all of them. And we pray for peace.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lorrie, that post brought tears to my eyes. You are rightly proud of such children.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A tearful read. God bless your children and this precious family. He providentially provided for both... I understand the sadness of the war's effects on this family and it is heartbreaking. Yet, in God's grace they have found a refuge from the storm a world away in your children's home. I will pray for all involved and may God strengthen and continue to give them grace for the journey ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beatiful story! your children realize how blessed they are and are willing to share.
    This does not come easy for everyone, it can feel like you are taking a risk, but I can see they are rewarded and this refuge family will be forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is wonderful. Your children are Angels. Truly. I can't imagine what this poor Syrian family has gone through. I pray for all the refugees in this world and wish I wasn't so ashamed of my government right now. xx K

    ReplyDelete
  27. Merci pour cet article, ça fait tellement de bien de lire quelque chose de positif, dans un monde qui tourne mal en ce moment ! Dans les moments où l'actualité est plutôt déprimante, il est bon de savoir qu'il y a des gens, des humains, qui font quelque chose de concret et qui aident, et qu'il n'y a pas que la peur, la haine et le rejet des étrangers, qui traversent une guerre et des épreuves inimaginables. Dieu vous garde tous.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A wonderful ending for this family at least. I hope they are able to secure employment and that the kids blend in well with their new life. Well done for your own kids to have helped make this happen. A brave step indeed, and a selfless one. Thanks for sharing this Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely story and a fine example. Thank you for this powerful,post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...