Sunday, January 01, 2017

What I Did During My Christmas Break



Early on Boxing Day morning, we said good-bye to my parents and began packing up for our trip to Mount Washington. My throat was a little scratchy, so I kept a cup of tea and honey close by. Then I started feeling a wee bit achy, took an Advil, and perked up immensely.


When we arrived at the parking lot below our chalet, snow was falling in thick flakes. We weren't quite certain where to go, but Daughter #2 knew a bit more about the mountain and guided us. No motorized vehicles are allowed, so everything the 11 of us needed for four days was hauled up by sled. Fortunately, it wasn't too far to go, but there was a steep incline, and I'd forgotten how hard it is to trudge through fresh snow. It was a wild time. Children were brought in, crying with cold and wet, for we hadn't thought to have their snow gear ready. Mr. F. desperately wanted his mother, but soon settled against my chest while I sang to him, while his mother helped get stuff indoors. 

My achy misery increased.


To make a very long story very short, I had the flu. I lay around for three days on the couch doing nothing. Nothing. No playing with the littles in the snow. No skiing. I barely managed a short walk the second day. The third day I just gave in, put on a movie and drowsed. The ache was dreadful. I felt cold most of the time.

You can guess where this is going - next to succumb was a son-in-law, both daughters, Miss S, then Mr. F. Oh, I felt even more dreadful. As one of my children commented, "Mom's a good sharer!" But everyone was so kind: making tea, running a hot bath, heating up my rice bag (thrown in at the last), and letting me lie on the couch.


On our last day, I felt well enough to accompany Tim and Travis (son) to their cross-country ski lesson. I thought I'd sit in the lodge and take photos. Then I thought I felt well enough to do a little snowshoeing, so I did. I felt decidedly brave to venture out on my own. These photos are all from that 2 hour snowshoe adventure, my only excursion. 


Weather conditions during the two hours varied from thickly falling snow to clear sunshine. When I rounded a corner and saw the light glowing on a scrawny tree, I knew I'd reached the entrance to Narnia. Alas, no one offered me tea, nor did beavers approach me. 


Magical loveliness around every corner.


From one vantage point I could see the chairlift where the other adults were, or had been, skiing. 


A small flock of gray jays flitted in and out of a tree, landing on the outstretched hands of a group of girls, also snowshoeing.


By 2:30 the shadows stretched long against the snow and by 3:00 the light had noticeably changed.


I was glad to see the lodge appear when it did, for I had reached the end of my energy. A cup of hot chocolate fortified me while I waited for the others.

So. The week did not unfold as I had planned. However, it was still a good week, and I certainly had a great view from the couch. We'll chalk this one up to making a memory.

Happy New Year! Thank you for reading my words. I appreciate the blogging community in ways I could have never envisioned. I've made delightful friends, been inspired by your posts to think about things in different ways, and I've emulated some of your projects. I'm looking forward to a great 2017!

31 comments:

  1. Sending hot chocolate and honey lemon tea thoughts your way as you recover. Those snow photos are spectacular.

    Happy New Year, Lorrie!
    Brenda
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharing is a wonderful thing, but really?? That is too bad and I have heard this happening to so many others over the holidays I do hope you have recovered. And this beautiful snowfall...oh my...such a gorgeous winter wonderland! Stunning photos of that lovely white stuff! May 2017 hold many blessings for you and your family, Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, I'm so sorry! Just like dominoes you went down, one by one. Well, it will go down in family history, won't it?

    But your photographs are incredible! No one in perfect health could have taken better ones.

    I hope every single one of you is better now,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:06 PM

    Oh my...so sorry the the flu came to you at this time. Oye. Glad you had a good attitude about it. Glad you could have a snowshoe adventure. Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - just Wow - not a fun way to spend the vacation time - but when you got out and about you really outdid yourself. The photo with the sentence that begins with "magical" looks to me like the snow people are reaching out to welcome you. Fascinating photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Echoing what others have said -- so sorry you've been ill and glad you're on the mend, but oh! the stunning scenes you've captured and shared.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It takes one with a good deal of grit to describe that week as a good one. Hope that everyone is o the mend. I am feeling a little sad myself for what might have been. Still, it shall never be forgotten and your excursion to Narnia's portal was magical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I am sorry that you got the flu when on holiday...sounds like you made the best of it.
    Good that this is behind you now...
    cheers to better health in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tough luck Lorrie. What a shame for you and the others. Sounds like you made the best of it anyway. Happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! Being sick away from home is pretty awful. But I'm glad you were able to feel better and have enough energy to get out at least once to experience your beautiful surroundings. Cheers to a healthy, happy, peaceful new year filled with love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always look on the bright side of life, and you did.
    One would never have guessed from your previous beautiful posts that the person holding the camera was feeling so wretched.
    Glad that you are feeling much better now - wishing you and your family a very happy and fulfilling New Year 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor you, what a rotten way to spend a little holiday. Sadly at this time of year it seems inevitable that these wretched viruses come out in force. I do hope you are feeling better now.
    Photos are wonderful and remind me of a very cold Christmas in Smithers, with Narnia all around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, Lorrie that was unfortunate, I can just imagine how rough you felt.
    However, the pics are amazing! Before I had scrolled past the first snow scene and read your words, I said 'Narnia'to myself! It was so very like it!
    Going off on your own in snow shoes must have been magical..

    I hope you will be able to re-visit in future, but if you should try to bring it forward by venturing through your wardrobe, remember not to close the door!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry that you got sick but you sure have a positive attitude about everything. That helps us when dealing with the ups and downs of life, doesn't it? What a lovely place...sure makes me think of Narnia too! Take care of yourself this week! Happy New year sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Lorrie...bless your heart! Seems like a horrible time to come down with the flu. It's a good thing to know that our loving Father designs everything for our good and His glory. Oh my, but you captured some gorgeous photos! Stunning! I particularly love the "Narnia" one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you're feeling better, Lorrie. I'm certain the beautiful views and being surrounded by your family helped with the recuperation, despite some catching the bug!

    Happy New Year to you and yours! May 2017 be filled with good health and happy times!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a shame but at least you were all together. Your photos are amazing, such spectacular views a stunning vision of loveliness. I really am in awe of all the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh...so sorry that you were sick during your special family time in that amazingly beautiful place. Glad you were able to do one short snow shoe trek! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a beautiful place. What a shame you weren't well. A holiday definitely not to be forgotten in a hurry I guess. At least you had your family around to look after you. Hoping you are feeling better now. B x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sorry to hear the plague hit your chalet. I'm glad that you and your afflicted family members were able to make the most of it. The snow images are gorgeous! Enjoy the rest of your holiday break, Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How unfortunate to be ill on a trip that should have held great times in the snow. Not surprising the flu travelled around to other family members but it sounds like everyone made the best of it.
    Colds and flu made the rounds within our community but we were spared, I'd already had a doozy of a cold in early December anyway so that's my turn.
    Hope everyone is feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Breathtakingly beautiful photos, Lorrie!! What a shame you had to come down with a bug just as you arrived.
    It sounds like a lovely way to spend special time with family. I'm sure you made some wonderful memories, in spite of the flu.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry you were sick through this special time! Thank goodness no one needed medical care though when you were far away from it. The pictures are beautiful. You are one strong woman!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh My I hate that you and your family were so ill, and part of our family had the same kind of Christmas sickness, however...these snow shares each and every one should become a Christmas greeting card for next season, extraordinarily gorgeous. Happy New Year my friend~

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy New Year! So sorry you were sick, but if you had to be sick it looks like a beautiful place to rest, sip tea, watch movies, and finally go out to play in magical wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So sorry for you not feeling well at all for that beatiful family trip! I guess if you had to feel miserable it was good to be in a place where people cared. Wishing you a blessed New Year and many happy family times.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my…yes that's a get away you'll never forget. It sounds wonderful though. I had the stomach flu with aches and fever, but it was over new year's when we had no plans. Good for you to at least have one event you could enjoy and your photos are wonderful. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These kinds of things do make memories! And you were together with family.

    Your snowshoe excursion looks amazing. Glad you had that experience!

    Don't forget how important rest is in recovering, though it will have to be after school!

    Happy New Year Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh I am so sorry / it's awful getting the flu, period, but at the holidays it is just dreadful. I am glad that you recovered enough for a walk and some photos...you managed to capture so much beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  30. It seems to have been a common experience for many of us, to be slowed down in various degrees by nasty bugs this Christmas and afterward... I was given a reprieve for a few days at Christmas but for the last week have been kept down for multiple reasons. When we are forced to "rest" this way I guess the only smart thing is to give in and let go!

    What a gift that you were able to get out in the snow for a soul-invigorating excursion! And Narnia! I am hoping just to walk in the neighborhood this afternoon and am so much looking forward to it. May your new year be filled with delights, and may many of them be of the sort you can share in pictures with us. God bless you and your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm sorry to hear you were ill at Christmas! That happened to me two Christmases ago, and this New Year my husband and I both had the stomach flu. After being ill one appreciates good health all the more. It sounds like you still had a good holiday--the beauty there was incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...