Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Off to a Slow Start



Happy New Year! 2017 began slowly around here, with a very little energy that is slowly increasing. School began today and I really wondered how I'd get through the day, but I did, and I feel pretty good. Enough energy remains to at least write a blog post! Thank you for all your kind comments - they cheered me up immensely!

The paperwhites are on their last legs, still pretty with their thin, parchment-like petals. 


I saw this Camembert Snowflake on Facebook and thought it would be something fun to make. Here's a link - although I'll warn you that some of the ads on the site are somewhat tasteless (haha). My version was made with Brie in place of Camembert. It tasted wonderful. I made it again in the mountain chalet and substituted chopped ham for the bacon, again wonderful. This would be great as an appetizer, or with soup for lunch, or just lunch. 


New Year's eve was spent quietly at home, just the two of us. We made an easy Mussels dish and sopped up the creamy sauce with crusty bread. We watched The Last King on Netflix, a Norwegian film about an event in the 1200s. The way those men skied was amazing! 


I wandered around the house with my camera and snapped these few photos. Above, embroidered felt birds dangling from the curtain add a bright note to the kitchen.


Another couple of paperwhite bulbs are started and will give some welcome blooms in a few weeks. A little cypress tree adds colour. The air plant terrarium was a gift from a daughter. These bright greens are so welcome in what can often be a dull month.


I'm not in the habit of making New Year's resolutions, although I do reflect on the year past, and ponder my intentions for the year ahead. I've not gotten around to thinking much of anything recently, so that will have to wait.

For now, I'm content, sitting by the fire, replete with a dinner of Cheesy Polenta and Roasted Vegetables, and I'm not even going to grade any papers. Time enough later. The tree is down, but all the other decorations adorn the piano, the mantel, and other surfaces. I'm in no hurry. Perhaps this weekend.

How is your year beginning? Slowly, or with a bang?


18 comments:

  1. Sorry that it was back to school when you may not have felt ready...praying strength for the days ahead to the next break, which come more regularly in the second semester or third and fourth quarters. What fun school projects are you planning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slowly...very slowy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are getting back into the swing. That muscle dush sounds and looks delicious. Light and easy food for us too, after all the leftovers have gone. Have a good week. B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easing into the new year over here and perhaps that is why I haven't been by to visit in a while. I am now caught up here. I was so sorry to learn that you came down with the flu after planning such a nice Christmas gathering for your family. The snowy scenery surrounding the chalet was like a Christmas card. So pretty.
    I hope that your strength will return soon and you will feel much better.
    So enjoyed the little walk around your home. The little terrarium is charming. The camembert snowflake... oh my, amazing! Almost too pretty to eat.


    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely to have bits of colour in plants and flowers at an otherwise dark season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's tough starting back to school not feeling 100%. Enjoy those lingering decorations and rest. Hope you get your energy back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only BANG here was the neighbors setting off firecrackers at midnight :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was catching up with your last post and sorry to find that the wonderful trip had some sour notes. I hope you are back to feeling well very soon. My tree is down and ready to be put to the curb for pickup next week. It's been a slow start to the year here. I'm feeling the need to think things over and take some kind of new direction.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. A slow relaxing start to the new year for us and ordered Chinese take out for NY eve. I've taken the Christmas decor and packed it away but the winter things will stay out until the end of March. The faux Christmas tree is now decorated with shiny red and pink hearts and will provide some much needed sparkle in the corner of the living room.
    As I'm reading blogs, many of us are looking for change and possible inspiration.
    Enjoy your remaining decorations Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless you, Lorrie! After reading your last two posts, I am so sorry you are dealing with the flu and were not able to fully enjoy the time with your family. It has been a sick season for me, as well, so I empathize. I'd really like a "do over" on Christmas this year, but time marches on. I have much to be thankful for, so I will not wallow in my woes of lost time and memories from the holidays. I have far too much to do, but all I really want to do is lie on the couch. I would imagine it's the same for you. Hope you are feeling much better by the time you read this. Despite not feeling well, you still manage to take amazing photos and wonderful blog posts. Happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:32 PM

    Your mussels meal looked delish. Everything but what I've bought at after Christmas sales are put away. Glad you have options on when to correct papers and you can take your time. Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find that I'm easing into the New Year and enjoying the slower pace. The weather here this week has dipped a bit, so it's especially nice not having to go anywhere unless we want to. ;o)

    Sorry to read that you were under the weather part of your Christmas holidays, Lorrie. Reminds me of when 2 of my mom's 8 brothers, drove across Canada to surprise her one Christmas (mom always missed her family the most at Christmas time). Sadly, when they arrived, they found all six of us were down with the flu! Despite them catching it too, during their visit, we still made some special memories and more than anything just appreciated being together for the holidays.

    Hope you're feeling better and sending wishes for a wonderful 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am starting the New Year with great plans, so a bit of a bang really. Your food photos looked delicious, particularly the mussels and yet it is something that I have never had. I intend to be a little more adventurous this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful and inspiring post, Lorrie!
    I too was sorry to read about the flu during your Christmas holidays - in that gorgeous setting. Your photos are wonderful nevertheless.
    I don't really make New Year's resolutions either. Trying to be a better person and live a healthier life is a constant struggle. :) Failing every now and then and immediately trying again...
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous2:25 PM

    Hi Lorrie. Your paper whites are so gorgeous and dainty! I'd say my new year is both slow and crazy. Somehow I messed up my wp blog and can't fix it so I'm back to what I know on blogger (withtwigsandbranches).

    Have a blessed night!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yesterday was my first day back at work too and I felt like a zombie. Thank goodness it's a short work week!

    I love seafood so I was salivating over your mussels dish. I also prefer to ring in the new year at home. My Christmas decor is still up, but will go down this weekend. The good news is that, some cheery yellow birds, similar to yours,arrived in the mail this week. They'll brighten up my space after all the Christmas decor is put away!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My paper whites are at the same stage as yours. I didn't want them to die, as I love them. Seeing your cypress reminded me to go outside and rescue my little tree too. Now it is sitting in my kitchen. That cheesy bread looks delicious. Now I will go check out that recipe. Thanks! Happy New Year. My beginning seems to have started out without a hitch and is moving along. My mind is busy making plans for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. New Years looks wonderful from your point of view. Happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...