Sunday, October 18, 2020

A Weekend in October

 


There's a sense of quiet that comes in autumn as the earth settles into slumber. Colorless skies and a bit of rain today contributed to the quiet feeling to relax me. After the busy days and weeks of the school start in September, things have settled into a rhythm. I am more than halfway through the 10 weeks of full time teaching and am pleasantly surprised at how I'm doing. Workdays are busy, but on weekends I make an effort to disengage from thinking about classes and students, and focus on rest and preparation. 


Do find that you think about food a lot? I do. I enjoy preparing meals and planning, but sometimes it seems that food is on my mind more than it needs to be. I have found that preparing a few things ahead on the weekend makes the weekdays much easier, and we eat more healthily, too. To that end, this weekend I spent a few hours in the kitchen and made two trays of Roasted Enchilada Sauce with more of our garden tomatoes, Granola with Almonds and Honey, Butternut Squash Curry, a double batch of meatballs, and a Greek Style Roasted Mushrooms. You can click on the links to the recipes. 

These are not complete meals, but they give me a head start on dinner time. I like to make enough for Tim to take to work the next day for lunch. I usually take soup or a salad. I used to plan meals more deliberately, but now I just keep a general idea in my head.


On Saturday afternoon I went shopping for a bit. I've been looking for a pair of waterproof boots that are a bit stylish to wear for walking. This was my third expedition and I'm pleased that I found a pair of Rockport boots that fit the bill. Once home, I made a cup of tea and settled in for some reading - a book I found in the thrift store - "The Evening Chorus" by Helen Humphreys - dealing with the grief of war (WWII) played against the natural world. A quiet read for a quiet day.


This afternoon Tim and I went to Butchart Gardens and wandered around the gardens. It's beautiful throughout the year and now coloured leaves dot the green background. 


The dahlias are still amazing in a variety of colours and shapes. 


We ended our walk with a cup of hot chocolate (and a muffin for Tim), sitting outside in the cool afternoon air. Home again, filled with contentment and the anticipation of an evening of reading or watching a bit of television. And so ends another weekend in October. 


25 comments:

  1. Over the years I came to do the same for meal prep, a bit of work on the weekend helped the week days tremendously. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the school year is going well despite all the challenges. My husband is the one who is always thinking about food. :) Everything I make is quick and easy so even if he calls last minute and says he didn't eat lunch, can I fix something before he gets home, I can have a hot meal ready within 30 minutes. I have lots of go-to meals that I keep in rotation. Autumn is looking lovely in your corner of the world. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely weekend. I always admire your food planning and preparation. I do plan for my shopping trips but can sometimes go off plan when I find something new in a recipe book. Just bought the latest Mary Berry about comfort foods. It has some delicious recipes. Have a good stress free week. B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good, and a relief to read school is flowing along well.
    Preparation is a fantastic way to release what to cook tension. I'm going to give it a try. The squash curry sounds delicious, and will help add the variety my menus lacks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a lovely weekend. The gardens look great, and I love that you still have dahlias in bloom there.

    Your food prep is something I've been thinking about. I don't 'love' to cook and to have somethings already prepped would be a great thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very reasssuring to have prepared food ready to use. My freezer is now full!
    Dahlias are doing so well here too, and although I keep expecting them to finish, they just go on and on producing beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm often trying new recipes for familiar ingredients. It makes life more interesting.Butternut squash is my staple vegetable right now. I love fall in the gardens. The resilient blooms and the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I like all the days of October--sunny, rainy, dull. Your ability to set aside thoughts of the classroom during the weekend is good, one that I suspect many careers demand if you're to succeed in them. I do think about food a lot, Heaven help me! I always think I'll stop printing out more recipes and then I come visit you--Roasted Enchilada Sauce is one I must try! Beautiful pictures you took at Butchart Gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do think about food often. My problem lately has been more thinking than acting upon those thoughts. Your preparations look tasty and I can imagine bring a great sense of satisfaction.
    Beautiful photos from your time at the Butchart Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a perfect weekend. And, yes, I also think about food and enjoy cooking and planning meals. Have a lovely week, Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I read about meal planning, I am reminded that I should get into that again. Now, I just make whatever I desire on that day, or what either my son or granddaughter suggest. It does seem to work for us. I love those fall Butchart Garden scenes,

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way so many of your photos tell a story...a cozy, lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the picture with the pretty blue-and-white cup of tea, a book, and a small bouquet of flowers in a white pitcher.
    Your food prep is giving me inspiration that I need. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you'll share a pic of your new Rockport rainboots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your post sounded so calming and lovely. I love how you spend your time. Just wait till you're retired! We got our outdoor furniture covered and I finally had to compost my flowers. So we're alk set for winter. Snow on Thursday they say. Take care and stay well. Kit

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lorrie
    I never made menus before but since covid became a danger I try to buy food in bulk so I don't need to grocery shop as often, and then I try to make a list of recipes to make with those ingredients so I use up all that I buy. It seems to work out well and challenges me to find new recipes to try so that we don't get tired of eating the same things.

    We had hoped to visit Butchart Gardens but sadly had to cancel our trip. Hope we get there one day in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh so lovely . I have to say I'm tired of cooking and planning meals and shopping. But I don't have COVID so I won't complain
    I eat a lot of cereal. But hubby likes a real meal.....I could just eat PBJ or Cereal of days. Our leaves are at peak Color ini Wisconsin. We have had beautiful weather. WE did have some snow flakes today, but not for long!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lorrie, your weekend sounds like the perfect blend of rest and accomplishment. It is hard to imagine how we could so far into October already, but here we are and it is a lovely time of year for slowing down a bit and planning ahead for the busy weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a lovely weekend.
    I would like to visit Butchart Gardens, it looks a lovely place.

    Many thanks for the link back to the low carb diabetic blog and the Greek Style Roasted Mushrooms.

    Have a good week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Prepping meals ahead of time certainly does a lot to help ease your mind during the week! I enjoyed your lovely picture of the blue mug and your afternoon read. So lovely to be able to enjoy Butchert Gardens in all its seasons! Such a magnificent place to visit! We are having a bit of the wintery mix visit us tomorrow. Tis the season... I pulled my dahlias this past weekend, and am preparing now to overwinter them. Seasons pass so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Lorrie,
    I love your first photo. The colors are so pleasing and mellow. Just right for our tumultuous times.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a great weekend in Autumn! How nice to see Butchart in all seasons. Your food prep is such a great idea. It all looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A perfect kind of weekend that prepares you for the week ahead. It is a good feeling
    to have some prepared food on hand and I love the sound of that butternut Squash curry. I'm sending the link to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your blog is so visually appealing! You've such a good taste.Regards Naomi https://divineangelnumbers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Walking at Butchart Gardens would be so lovely in Autumn. Just beautiful!!
    I like your idea for prepping in the kitchen. The enchilada sauce particularly tempts me. Yummm~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...