Sunday, October 25, 2020

An October Hike

 


Our unusually warm and sunny days of early October have turned into unusually cold and mostly sunny days of late October. Frosty mornings mean warm coats and gloves, and the occasional scraping of ice from the windshield. How beautiful the sunshine is, and how glorious the colours. 

One of my favourite autumn poems, by George Cooper, begins with 
"October gave a party
The leaves by hundreds came,
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves by every name."

It was a party out in the woods today. Crisp and cool, very cool in the shaded forest, but out on the rocky ridges where the sun shone boldly, there was warmth. 


We hiked up and down, but mostly up, until we reached Holmes Peak, overlooking the Saanich Inlet. Here on the ridge we enjoyed the view, and some dark chocolate. 


We came across a hand-carved swing, placed there in memory of a loved one, and a delight for young Sadie. It made me a wee bit nervous as falling off on a forward swing might mean a tumble over the cliff. 


Naturally freshly peeled arbutus trees have such a beautiful pale green colour. The trunk on the left is smooth and bleached by the sun. 


Leaved branches form high along the trunks and reach for the sun, with bright berries that glow against the blue sky. 


It was such a beautiful afternoon, talking, laughing, enjoying the scenery. A gentle wind ruffled the water and provided updrafts for the crows and eagle we saw. 

This morning, from my bedroom window, I watched skein after skein of geese or ducks streaming eastwards from the Sooke Hills. They were a long distance away, dark lines and shapes stretching against the pale sky. It was magical.

Times like these, observing and being in nature, provide relaxation and respite, and a lovely change of pace from the week. And so begins another week, the last in October. Whether you have snow or sun or rain or wind, I wish you the enjoyment of the beauty of this season. 


25 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect walk with your family with sunshine too. We’re set for a wild and windy week so time to hunker down and enjoy home pursuits. Have a good week. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bright walk and photos, wakening the day to a new season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hike sounded wonderful. Have a great last week of October!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All such beautiful captures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lorrie,
    What lovely scenes. I am surprised that you still have so many leaves on your trees. The recent change into colder temperatures has hastened the dropping of leaves in our area. It all happened overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday this week, Lorrie. I'm asking that God will continue to bless you amid your family, in your teaching and in the exquisite creation He's made and which surrounds you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that swing...what a thrill. I am sure that someone checked it out carefully before Sadie was allowed to try it out. So much beauty in this world...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You describe such a fun time in nature. It made me smile, a good start to the week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely hike! Such a beautiful part of the world where you live. Oh your description of the geese made me smile. I love watching v's of geese go over. We still have about a foot of snow here. We will start warming up tomorrow. Maybe by Thursday I can get my leaves mulched up. Take care. Kit

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love that poem too! You live in such a special place and I enjoy your visits to nature around you. I had to google the arbutus tree when I saw a picture here of them peeling. I had no idea there was such a tree, only thought that arbutus was a wild flower. Gorgeous tree! Have a lovely last week of October, Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what beautiful views you had! Fall has so many varied faces. by now we are in the drab period, waiting for a good layer of snow to brighten up the world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pictures! That swing would make me nervous too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful views.
    I love to be out and about at this time of year.

    Enjoy this last week of October.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all the views and the swing must have been a fun surprise! Nature is so wondrous and especially when it is lit with autumn's bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd be nervous on the swing too!

    Happy Birthday Week, Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The last week of October already and soon we'll be turning our clocks back an hour. Looks like a great hike. Yes, I'd be nervous about the swing, too. Hope this week is starting well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh no way would I get on that swing. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Autumn...the year's last, loveliest smile." - William Cullent Bryant.
    I too would have been slightly apprehensive about the swing, but it does look to have been very well made and secure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely hike. That swing is sweet, but I understand how it made you feel!

    We've had very mild weather, and I haven't seen or heard any geese headed south yet. Perhaps we are in for a mild winter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aren't the leaves and berries beautiful against a blue sky! What a beautiful hike and nice way to remember these last few days of Oct. We heard some Sandhill Cranes honking overhead yesterday! Enjoy your week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lorrie - our weather turned dramatically on Friday - six inches of snow! And so cold! Is this really October? Not even the sun could make it seem warm! Lovely photos and narrative, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I do love a party . . . and the party you attended in the woods was a lovely one!
    (Eek! I'd have been holding my breath while Sadie was on that swing!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fall is my favorite time of year. It's the season I think Michigan does best! Your pictures are beautiful. What a beautiful area to hike in!

    ReplyDelete
  24. October is looking lovely through your lens! I think last weekend’s taste of winter kind of took us all by surprise. Enjoy what’s left of October!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the October party! I'm so glad it returns every year and every year I can take the same pictures with renewed wonder!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...