Monday, April 18, 2022

Easter

 


Here I sit on Easter Monday - a day off school for me. It's not a statutory holiday in Canada, but the public sector has it off, so Tim is home, too. After yesterday's sunshine, we awoke to grey skies and fierce wind today. No rain yet, although it's in the forecast. 


Easter is a season of hope, which is found by Christians in the Resurrection of Christ. It's one of my favourite holidays. We gathered for dinner in the late afternoon (nap schedules have to be taken into account), preceded by an egg hunt in the garden. I always include packets of goldfish snacks, granola bars, and other individually packaged items to hide along with the chocolate. Non-sweet items are appreciated by the parents. It was fun to watch the older children racing around the garden at warp speed, while the two younger girls wandered at a much slower pace. Some treats were hidden in easy-to-find spots and left by the older ones for the younger. 

Then dinner. I roasted a spatchcock turkey which cooked much more quickly than a regular one. I did the cutting the day before and broke my kitchen shears. So I zipped up to the kitchen supply store for some poultry shear which worked much better. 

I love that tablecloth of pink and yellow. It's an old one of Tim's mother, of soft thick rayon that was popular in the 1950s. We set another table in the kitchen for the three older grands who like to be off by themselves sometimes.


A little collage of the grands. How quickly they are growing. Cora might look like she's been eating chocolate, but no, that's dirt. We're always scooping something out of her mouth, but she never shows any ill effects. I asked the children to sit on the stairs for me to take a photo of them, but I never got one with all of them looking at me. A squirrelly bunch, but maybe that was due to all the chocolate!


A friend passed along a link to a cute bunny bag pattern last week. On Sunday I decided to make one for each grandchild. I spent every free minute until Wednesday stitching the bags. They are so cute with the egg and the bunny ears. 

I hope your Monday is going well, no matter the weather. 

16 comments:

  1. Adorable pictures, the dirt brings back memories. :) The bags are cute.

    Monday here at this lower Vermont elevation has been a sunny morning, overcast afternoon. A storm is on the way that might bring snow, especially in the higher elevations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a wonderful Easter celebration with your family. The grandchildren collage and bunny bags are adorable!

    We're having a final blast (I hope!) of winter here. Let's hope all this white stuff won't stick around...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lorrie, I love those Easter bags. They are so pretty, and a great way to use up fabric scraps. What an absolute treat to have the family of grands there for an Easter celebration. Love little Cora with her 'chocolate' mouth. Our twins are also at the dirt eating stage, as well as gravel from the path. We are always chasing after them too! PS our new little girl has a name very similar to Cora :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must have been a wonderful Easter celebrating with those sweeties! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorrie, those bags are an absolute delight!
    Isnt it lovely to see a table set prettily. I still have embroidered cloths from my Grandmother and they are so attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a wonderful time making memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely collage of the grandchildren and the bunny bags are so cute.
    Pleased you had such a fun family time.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, there is the old saying; "You have to eat a peck of dirt before you die." lol

    πŸŒΌπŸ‹πŸŒΌπŸ‹πŸŒΌπŸ‹πŸŒΌ

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep going back to look at the beautiful old tablecloth. It sure is pretty. As are those grands!! What fun to have them find the goodies and the cute bunny bags. I'm amazed that you had enough time to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your table is very elegant I love the blue of the iris. The Easter bags you made are so cute. It is so nice to have many grandchildren !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those bags are the cutest! I'm impressed that you just whipped them up! Easter is a favorite for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bunny bags are adorable! I am certain that the grands loved them! Sounds like a fun and festive weekend at your house! I'm so thankful for the Resurrection . . . what a reason to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a fun day! Your flowers are so pretty and I love the tablecloth. Your grands are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. it looks like you had a wonderful Easter with family. The first thing that I noticed was that gorgeous tablecloth that was Tim’s mother’s. The grands are so cute and so are those adorable bags that you made.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like perfect family time. Seems so long ago that my boys were having egg hunts with clues. Happy days. Hope your week hasn’t been too busy. Enjoy the weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Of course you would quickly sew those cute bags for them! Everything looks beautiful and I can just imagine the kids' excitement!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Wander Through my Mind

  Nothing is so beautiful as Spring -  When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush; Gerard Manley Hopkins When I opened my bedroom...