Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Tuesday Evening Thoughts

 


Outside my window the pale blue sky is fading. A sharp wind tosses branches and flower stems to and fro. On dry afternoons it's becoming my habit to step inside the house, change my shoes, and set off on a little walk before returning to prepare dinner. Today I added a pink floral scarf tucked into the neckline to keep that chilly wind at bay. Pink seems to be the colour of the day with the blossoming of another variety of prunus trees. 


These full double blossoms are a froth of pink, and with the wind, pink "snowflakes" are falling and beginning to drift along the roadsides. I'm so glad we have this kind of "snow" rather than the chillier white stuff others are experiencing. 

Warmer weather over the weekend had us working in the garden. Since we took out the hedge, Tim's erected a not-so-pretty chain link fence. We've moved a magnolia tree and a rhododendron bush from the front garden, and after two months they seem to be doing fine. We'll keep them well-watered over the coming months. I've had a hankering for a birch tree and found a paper birch with multiple stems that will hopefully grow into a clumping birch. 

Tiny sprouts of spinach, radish, lettuce, and arugula are appearing in the garden bed; such itty-bitty slivers of green that will grow into lush plants. I'm always amazed by the potential in those little seeds. It's a yearly miracle. 


Soon the fawn lilies will die back, but in the shaded woodland path I take, they continue to dot the ground like stars. Bluebells now step to the forefront. 

Blaise Pascal wrote, "In difficult times, carry something beautiful in your heart." On Easter Sunday, the house was filled with family. The children played indoors and out. At one point little 16-month Cora disappeared. She loves the stairs so I went up to find her. She was there and greeted me with a big smile. In her hand was a glittered egg pick she had pulled from the vase of flowers on the hall table by reaching through the stair railing. Like a little sprite she waved the glittery egg back and forth, happy as a lark. When I find traces of glitter, the memory of her little face and waving arms makes me smile. 


My reading has been mostly dipping in and out of books lately. I read Patti Callahan's novel "Once Upon a Wardrobe" and loved it so much that as soon as I finished it I turned back to the beginning and read it again, more slowly. It's a wonderful book for lovers of Narnia, Oxford, and C.S. Lewis.

I took a couple of cookbooks from the library. When I began "A Table for Friends" I wasn't very impressed. Roast Chicken, Roast Lamb, etc was how the book began and there was not much inspiration. Then I came to the sides, and discovered several new ideas for vegetables. I do love vegetables, more than fruit, truth to be told.  


I'm getting my garden beds ready for spring and summer planting, so I pulled the last few leeks and made an adaptation of her Creamy Leeks with Mustard and Parmesan. My version included less cream and mustard, and we found it very tasty. 

I picked the first rhubarb of the season, chopped it up and cooked with a little sugar. It's in a jar in the fridge, and lovely to eat with plain yogurt. Seasonal food is such a treat.


This has turned out to be a long and meandering post. I'll close with these little daisies dotting lawns all along my walk today. Iris loves to pick them and make bouquets, and I have one of hers in my kitchen. That's another bit of beauty that I carry with me. There is so much beauty when I am attentive to my surroundings. 

Wishing you joy and delightful moments. 

24 comments:

  1. I haven't walked in over a week because our weather has just been so dreary and dusty. It's been nice to walk and ponder along with you and to see all the beauty that's there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we have the same Prunus. It is one of the huge joys of this time of year, and I spend a lot of time just gazing at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful array of plants you have, both at home and around the area. Those pink blossoms fluttering down sound just amazing and heavenly. I do not think I have ever seen bluebells, and would love to see them in the woods, such a gorgeous colour of blue. I love vegetables too, and also rhubarb when we can get it, which is infrequently! Maybe we should try to grow it too. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pink flowers are so pretty and I can just see the pink snow petals and drifts! The leeks look really good. I know it must feel great working in the garden again after a long winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pink blooms would provide lots of reason to go for a walk. My rhubarb is just erupting through the soil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of a walk before dinner! It's a great post. Lots of this and that. Mostly, you are so ahead of our season. It was snowing this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is much beauty in your world . . . and you have eyes to see it! Thank you for sharing it with us! I always love your photos of the natural world . . . and I can "see" Cora basking in her accomplishment of climbing the stairs and brandishing her glittery egg and it brings a smile to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that everything is blossoming and green and growing there. Nothing here yet. I adore the story about the little sprite with the glittery bit waving it about and grinning. Those are memories to cherish for a lifetime. Enjoy your Spring! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:05 AM

    What a lovely post and what a lovely place you live. I’m not sure I’ve read your blog before. I will certainly look for it in the future. I will look for those books at our library. Thanks for the recommendations! Carol in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:34 AM

    Such beauty! It is true that we have beauty all around us when we look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:22 AM

    Seasonal foods are a highlight of the year. Beautiful photos, the pink blossoms are magical.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to see so much beauty in your garden. Goodness rhubarb already. Mine has a couple of weeks to go although the dry weather hasn't helped. Looking forward to seeing your new birch tree and well done on moving your other trees. Never an easy job. B x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your posts are full of beauty and lovely use of words....

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have some of that pink snow here too. So lovely.
    How sweet that you have your own Glitter Fairy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Skye McAlpine's receipes too.
    So many of your flowers are the same as ours at the moment. The colours that predominate here are currently lots of baby pink and baby blue. The trees have now all come to life and are wearing their fresh green gowns, and it feels so good to be out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this walk and chat and also the beautiful flowers along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those pink blossoms!!! I would skip past the meat recipes to the veggie recipes too...and the fruity ones too. Enjoy the season!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The pink blossoms are a treat to see. That fawn lily is a beautiful plant. Cute story about your little roamer!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such beautiful pink colour I am going to the Netherlands tomorrow to get some plants

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful pink colour. I am going to the Netherlands tomorow to get some plants

    ReplyDelete
  21. I try to leave comments but don.t know if it works

    ReplyDelete
  22. I try to leave a comment

    ReplyDelete
  23. Creamy Leeks with Mustard and Parmesan ... Delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh yes, this was wonderful. Seasonal food is absolutely the best and its fun for us to get two growing seasons (Florida's is already winding down and when we get back to Oregon it will be right in the middle of all the wonderful produce). I don't remember that I'd had a problem leaving comments on your blog, but I have had on several other favorites. The form you are using now always works well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...