Friday, April 01, 2022

Soaking in the Sights

 


While on our little getaway, we hiked the Cable Bay Trail to Joan Point. It's a beautifully maintained trail, very wide at first, before narrowing to wind along the water. Our goal was Dodd Narrows. Tim checked the tide table so that we could ensure being there at maximum current. En route, I noticed a few pink petals on the ground and looked up to see where they came from. The blooms are from salmonberry bushes that will ripen in late summer. 


Watching the water swirl and rush by is enjoyable, but how fun it was to watch numerous sea lions cavorting in the current. They swam, lithe and smooth, diving and leaping in pure joy, with snorts and puffs of air as they surfaced. Upstream they went, then turned around and rode the current downstream in the rapids. Occasionally they surfaced in front of the rock where we sat, and regarded us with curious eyes.


(edited) Bald eagles soared overhead. I noticed the white head of the Bald Eagle and photographed him calling out to his buddies, but I didn't notice the other eagle, very likely a juvenile eagle, until I looked at the photo on my computer. 

Thanks to Judy who suggested these might be juvenile eagles and not Golden Eagles. I think she's right. 


Just around the corner from the foaming rapids and sea lion activity is a small cove with still green water. Deep in the water a few bright orange starfish curled against the rocks. Here the water looks green rather than blue, yet this scene is less than 100 feet from the rushing current.


I was so happy to see the delicate fawn lilies studding the forest floor with their star-like beauty. To take a photo of the flower center requires getting right down onto the ground for they are shy and never look up. 

And so begins another month - April - when spring rushes out in full force. 

19 comments:

  1. I did wonder what the little pink flower was. I have not heard of Salmonberry. What fun the sea lions were having. nothing so exciting here, though we do get the occasional Walrus or Whale that has wandered off track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhh, so much beauty!!!

    🌸🌱🌺 Little Break 🌺🌱🌸

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could almost cry....

    thank you for sharing it with us.

    🌸🌱🌺 Little Break 🌺🌱🌸

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwe. Such beauty! 'Can words describe the fragrance of the very breath of spring?' N. Blanchard

    The golden eagle (perched up there with the bald eagle) could also be a young bald eagle. The young bald eagles look a mottled brown and don't get their white heads for 4 or 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful post! I can feel myself there!
    My son and family are coming this summer. I am happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful hike ending up in a spot where you could watch Sea Lions and spot Eagles. The Fawn Lilies are beautiful; I don't think I've ever seen one in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing photographs, not just the eagle, but those flowers, so pretty.. Spring has certainly sprung!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am reminded once again of what a beautiful area you call home. How fun to watch the sea lions cavorting. Thank you for the fawn lily shot. All the more impressive when you went to such lengths to obtain it. Enjoy your lovely getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous photos! The seals having fun on the current is a good image.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such lovely sights ...
    I can't believe April is here, I wish you a good month.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your day with us. The scenes are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful hike! Your time and effort was well rewarded!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had not heard of the salmonberry, but looked it up. Apparently they have it here in the Highlands of Scotland where it is considered to be rather invasive.
    My white and yellow Erythroniums are also showing now. I always consider that spring is well underway when they appear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful discoveries to soak in. Love that Fawn Lily! Happy April to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful tour you had. Thank you very much for the beautiful photos.
    Seeing sea lions in action and spotting bald eagles is a treat.
    Yes, spring surrounds us with its joy.
    Viola sends you many greetings

    ReplyDelete
  16. Splendid sights for sure. Happy April.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved this -- I am learning to identify Bald Eagles at various stages of development this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...