Tuesday, September 06, 2022

Sweet peas, and Midnight in Inuvik

 


Inuvik, Northwest Territories, lies at 68.36 degrees north latitude, above the Arctic Circle, and on the vast McKenzie River delta. It's a planned town, started in the 1950s to replace another across the river that was constantly flooded. 

Because of its northern location, Inuvik enjoys over 50 days of continual light during the summer, along with the opposite of 30 days of polar night during the winter. I took the above photo at 3 minutes before midnight on the 5th of August. Actual sunset was about 20 minutes later, very early the next morning. 

I set up my tripod in a little park overlooking the river, around 11:30 pm. Young children were splashing in the water, having a great time. A Muslim family with two young children were enjoying the evening. It felt very odd to me to not have any complete darkness throughout the night. During this portion of our trip we stayed in a hotel and were very thankful for blackout curtains. 

The temperature that day was a sunny 26 degrees Celsius (79 F). The next day was 14 C (57F), and the next even cooler. It warmed up again after we left. 


Construction in Inuvik must consider the permafrost. Buildings are raised on pilings. All services reach homes via an utilidor system which you can see above. Water, electricity, gas, and sewer run through above ground steel pipes behind the houses. 

Landscaping is minimal because of the climate, but I saw lots of pots of petunias in the north, bright and colourful bits of summer. 


An iconic landmark in the town is the "igloo church" - also known as Our Lady of Victory church. We took a very interesting tour through the church and were able to climb into the cupola with narrow stained glass windows. The cupola is lighted at night in winter and is said to be very beautiful. The shiny effect on the domed roof is created by diamond-shaped aluminum "scales". 


The growing season in Inuvik is extremely short, and not suitable for growing much food. An old hockey rink has been converted into a community greenhouse where members can have garden plots for a small membership fee and some volunteer hours. With 24-hour light for a couple of months, the protected gardens grow very quickly. We toured the greenhouse with a gardener who was very enthusiastic. 


But what about the sweet peas? We asked the tour guide to show us her garden, which she was happy to do. "But," she commented, "I don't know why my peas aren't forming big pods." It was her first time growing garden peas, and she had ordered sweet pea seeds. She had a lovely colourful array of flowers, and was quite shocked when I told her that all parts of the sweet pea plant are toxic. "I'll just pull them out, then," she said, "because I want to grow food." 

Once home again, I was very happy to see my own sweet pea flowers still producing a few blooms. Above are the last of them, and I've harvested the seeds to plant next year. The twisted pods in the photo are ones where they burst open on their own. Perhaps they will come up as volunteers next spring. I'll be happy to see them. 

For now, I'm still enjoying summer and am in no hurry to think about autumn. Today is our son's birthday, born on a sunny morning in the Ecuadorian jungle. We'll be getting together later in the month for a family party celebrating three birthdays. Today I plan to deal with all the apples that are falling off the trees! Applesauce, here we come!


15 comments:

  1. Oh my word! imagine if the lady had eaten the 'sweet peas'. Mine finished a couple of weeks ago but I didnt save seed from this group, the colours were a bit 'sameish.'
    What fascinating photos of the buildings. I imagine things have to be planned very differently in those temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must be something to experience so much light with very little darkness. What an interesting adventure to experience. Happy birthday to your son. We'll be celebrating Dear's birthday on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice community greenhouse!
    I suppose the 'igloo church' is the main attraction in town!
    Happy Birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The orchards are opening here this week. Love this harvest.

    Interesting info about Inuvik, the light and gardening. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so interesting about the gardens. I guess it's something I never thought about, gardening in such a location. The igloo church is really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting post!
    I have tried to grow sweet peas, I think that we are just to hot and dry here.
    I love them and they smell heavenly :)
    Have a lovely week, sweet blogging friend.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another interesting post. That is a great use of the old hockey rink. Hard to imagine such a short growing season. How fortunate that you had that conversation about the sweet peas. I have never grown them, but yours sure are pretty.
    Happy Birthday to your son.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like your first photograph ...

    Happy Birthday to your son.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. That church is beautiful and I can imagine how lovely the stained glass windows are all lit up at night.
    Your Sweet Peas are lovely. Mine were so late in coming up but are blooming now. Mainly I have white ones and sort of navy. Pretty but I had hoped for more colours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In a life spent birding all over the world it has been one of my great omissions never to have visited Canada's far north, so I view your trip to Inuvik with a touch of envy. I fear that the warming climate is about to radically change the lifestyle of the Inuits, in ways they can barely imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lorrie, I loved reading your first hand account of Inuvik. I can imagine that it would take some adjustment to get used to continual light. And even more adjustment to get used to continual darkness. (Could one ever get used to that?!) Your observations and photos are a lovely and informative travelogue! Thank you!

    A belated happy birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy travelling and discover new people, new food… your road trip was very interesting too! I have only been to Anchorage once but not further.
    I did not know your ancestors came from the Netherlands and were Mennonites . This is a country we love to go !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous photos and information, Lorrie. I saw a few of the igloo buildings in Alaska When we visited Alaska and the Yukon a few years ago we also experienced the "midnight sun" and also the giant vegetables that grew from so much constant light. It was also interesting that rhubarb was a life-saving crop as it is high in Vit C and other vitamins which the population does not get when it is dark the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The church looks fascinating, indeed like an igloo. I hadn't even considered a different way of building because of the permafrost, but of course it makes so much sense. We experienced the continuous light when we traveled Alaska in 2005 - I enjoyed being able to pitch our tent in daylight even though it was 10 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness you may have saved some lives there in that greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...