Tuesday, August 08, 2023

A quick note

 


Hello there!  Are you a history buff? I am. I love visiting sites where history comes alive and often imagine characters and events that might have taken place. 

The Isle aux Coudres in the Saint Laurence River is a place where stories lie around every corner. Settled by the French, there are charming homes, curving bays, and intriguing paths everywhere. We had hoped to cycle the 23 km perimeter of the island, but rain prevented that. Instead we visited an old mill, still grinding local flour today after more than 250 years, wandered a beach trail when the rain eased, and drove around the perimeter. Still so lovely. 


I’m finding internet and wifi connections rather difficult and have decided to create little postcard style posts like this one. 

The stories and other photos will happily wait until we return home. On Wednesday we take the ferry (16 hours) to Newfoundland. Exciting! We’ve almost reached the easternmost point of our trip. 

Thanks for coming along. 


 


 



10 comments:

  1. So nice to know that you are enjoying your adventure despite the rain. Postcards seem very appropriate while vacationing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very pretty postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huge history buff here! Your trip sounds ideal. And the ferry ride would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:41 PM

    Newfoundland should be interesting. Hopefully you have sunshine. Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy Newfoundland! Love my homeland!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems this trip is going so quickly! Before I knew it you were in Quebec and now on to Newfoundland. Your little home on wheels is serving you well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Lorrie, this sounds so lovely, and as interesting as the ile d'Orleans which you would have passed further up-river. We visited it when we went to Quebec and I adored the charming red and white cottages and houses. Absolutely wonderful to know a 250 year old mill is still operating. We see so many of them in our travels which have ceased working and often become museums, or other tourist attractions. The French seem to leave their chic footprint wherever they go :) Continue having a fantastic holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your idea of "little postcard posts"! What a wonderful trip you are enjoying! Newfoundland is such a unique place. We enjoyed a trip there back in the mid-1990s.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great trip for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your postcards. I enjoy the history too and this looks so full of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

In the Evening Light

  The light behind the waving trees I see through my window is pale yellow. The kitchen is tidy; my tasks for the day are complete. I love t...