Thursday, August 24, 2023

L’Anse aux Meadows

 


L’Anse aux Meadows lies at the northern tip of Newfoundland. I have been captivated by this place for many years, since high school when I first learned about the Norse people who came here around the year 1000 AD. Parks Canada has done a stellar job of interpreting the site. Beyond the history, I am enchanted by the landscape, low green hills that flatten into the sea with long reefs where white waves curl. 

This is the furthest point on our trip and tomorrow we begin the trek homeward. There is still much to explore in the Maritimes, and we will be taking our time. 

I was shocked when we drove into the little town of St. Anthony to buy some groceries. The skyline was dominated by a familiar and most unexpected sight - a cruise ship! The first day we went to L’Anse aux Meadows, a bus full of cruise ship passengers arrived just as we did. Sadly, many made a beeline to the gift shop and spent no time at all learning about the history of this place. 

With so many people visiting the park, the park hosts altered their usual routines and did not offer guided tours but were instead stationed at various points to answer questions. So we decided to return the next day and had a wonderful tour by an excellent guide who grew up playing on the mounds before excavation began in 1961. 

15 comments:

  1. What a fascinating trip you are having.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so interesting following along on your trip. I've been telling my husband about it, and we would love to do something similar and visit Canada someday. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful and the history sunds fascinating. I like that you are doing that -- focusing on more than just gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice that you had the option to return on a calmer day to enjoy the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that place! The landscape is an integral part of the experience there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:27 PM

    What a lovely area and full of history too. Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a wonderful trip. You must be learning so much. Are you keeping a travel journal? I hope for those cruise ship tourists that the gift shop was at least selling locally made wares rather than cheap stuff made you know where. :) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful, and fantastic to know you have reached the furthest point, and that it is where the Norse people came, so long ago. I look forward to hearing more about their history when you write later. Meanwhile, the Maritimes and their delights await. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful trip, Lorrie!
    I am so envious!

    Hugs and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has been an amazing trip eastward Lorrie. May the reverse journey be full of more special moments, beautiful scenery, sunny days, and making memories to stay with you and Tim forever. Safe travels - happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m loving all your posts. What an amazing trip. Sad about the cruise ships. B x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful trip; it's the sort of holiday we would do, apart from the caravan aspect of it. I love these happily meandering journeys, discovering nooks and crannies somewhat off the beaten track and not totally overrun with tourists collecting sights.
    You will have years of "do you remember" which makes it happen all over again when you are home. Enjoy what you have left.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was fortunate that you could return on a quieter day.
    Continue your travels safely.
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard of the Norse people, but that's all I remember, the name. You obvioulsy paid better attention in high school. =)
    It's so nice when you can visit a place at your leisure rather than a quick, sometimes rushed, stop with a tour.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you made a very nice trip. Boat cruise are everywhere now and so many people. I wish you a safe journey back.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

In the Evening Light

  The light behind the waving trees I see through my window is pale yellow. The kitchen is tidy; my tasks for the day are complete. I love t...