Monday, November 13, 2023

A Walk in the Woods

 


I went for a walk with my youngest daughter, her two little ones, and their other grandmother on an overcast, but pleasant morning. Just steps from the road one plunges immediately into woods with tall cedar, golden maple, and fir trees. There is the feeling of otherworldliness here. 


Leaves tumble down in clusters, silently falling to the ground with little waves and twirls, dancing as they go. One can almost hear them whisper a faint 'goodbye' 'goodbye' as they pass. 


The falling leaves, the quiet, the muted light all combine to replace care with deep relief and contentment. The little girls chattered and the eldest one wanted to explore a different path, so we all took a little detour, but soon returned to the main trail. 


Old cement posts that once formed part of a busy work area now host purple martin houses. Bright autumn colours still dot the green coniferous forest, but not for long. 


This little one marches off on her own, back up the hill, turning to see if the rest of us are coming. 


Some days, a walk in the woods is just what is needed. The past couple of weeks have been busy for me as I'm teaching part time for a former colleague on medical leave. Two classes of Foods four days per week. I have a feeling that this will be my last short-term contract - I'm missing being at home, particularly now with Christmas approaching. Now, after Remembrance Day (November 11), preparations begin with joy. There will be some sewing, plenty of baking, and decorating, but I'm taking things slowly, focusing on enjoying doing a little bit at a time. 

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:21 PM

    A chance to go walking in an Autumn woods with loved ones is not to be passed up. Who knows how many lovely days we'll have while the trees still look so beautiful. GM

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect walk and your grand children sound like wonderful characters. Enjoy your slow run up to Christmas. B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a very beautiful walk. To see the colours of the trees is magical. I'm sure your little people enjoyed scuffling through the fallen leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love forest walks throughout the year, but an Autumn walk with crunchy leaves underfoot and golden colours reaching skywards is extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a very nice walk in the forest. It is very nice this time of year. I did not start to decorate yet not feeling too well. I hope to get well soon to start the decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a lovely walk with the generations. So beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A walk in the woods with loved ones is a delight. Lovely fall photos. We have one more event to enjoy before we start Christmas preparations in earnest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how they turned the old cement posts into homes for the purple martins.
    That looks like a wonderful walk. So glad you were able to go despite your busy schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the thought of the leaves whispering "goodbye."

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is true, you do almost hear the leaves telling us goodbye as they fall. What a curious sight those white pillars are. I wonder if someone goes by boat each spring to clean out the martin houses? What a rare treat for little girls to have both their grandmothers with them on an adventure! Good memories there, all around. Oh Lorrie, I'm both proud of you for helping out by teaching again and at the same time I'm thinking of all you could get done for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful woods path to have in your area. A treasure of memories there. Your photographs are beautiful with a magical charm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those "littles" must have planned for quite a hike, their backpacks almost as big as them! They are so cute Lorrie - can understand how you grandmothers must have enjoyed that walk.
    You are very busy again - don't forget to take time to relax now and then through the run up to Christmas.
    Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. That path looks just like the one I've walked for years! It is beautiful in the woods, even if it's just a park near a busy street. I can't imagine working part time at this time of the year, Wishing you time to enjoy your preparations.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

In the Evening Light

  The light behind the waving trees I see through my window is pale yellow. The kitchen is tidy; my tasks for the day are complete. I love t...