Wednesday, November 08, 2023

Our First Day in Newfoundland - Cape St. Mary's Ecological Reserve

 



After an extremely rough overnight ferry crossing from Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, to Argentia, we began exploring Newfoundland. Our first stop was Cape St. Mary's, where tundra-covered cliffs tower over the ocean. It's a desolate place, often misty as it was during our visit. 

We're not hardcore birdwatchers, but oh, how we enjoyed this spot. A 1.4 km walk along the cliffs led us to a high rocky outcropping. Just beyond were sea stacks, small high islands, covered with birds. 



Huge colonies of seabirds nest here. Although it was late in the season, we observed thousands of Northern Gannets. They wheeled and soared above us. In the above photo a female Gannet has pre-digested food for her young who takes it from its mother's throat. Fascinating to watch. The young gannets are so fluffy looking. 


I had never seen a Northern Gannet before. Their heads look so smooth and unruffled. Below the birds the green-blue Atlantic Ocean crashed and roared. Exhilarating. 


Along with Northern Gannets, Black-legged Kittiwakes huddled on the rock faces. There were fewer of them, many having departed for other regions. They are very pretty with their black neck ring and striking colouring. 



Also present were Common Murres, standing watch on the rocks. With binoculars we could see hundreds of murres floating on the ocean far below us. 


We camped at the Reserve and all night long the mournful foghorn sounded through the mist. After a very short while we didn't hear it and slept most soundly, waking in the morning to more mist and drizzle. 

There are a number of songs written about the region including Let Me Fish Off Cape St. Mary's which is available on Youtube. 

Are you a birdwatcher? 

18 comments:

  1. I'm not a proper bird watcher in that I dont travel miles to see a rare species. However, I can spend a lot of time gazing from the kitchen window at garden birds on the bird table. You wonder why the gannets choose to raise their young in such inhospitable places!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like to watch birds, although I do not have the good camera needed to photograph most of them. What wonderful shots you have taken of the gannets, and what a precarious place they live in. I hope you were safe behind a guard rail or something! The Atlantic certainly looks dramatic from this angle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting comparing west and east coasts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got some amazing photos! I've never seen these birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely stunning photographs of a legendary seabird colony. I have long dreamed of visiting Newfoundland and Labrador, and as a dedicated lifelong birder you might have given me the final stimulus I need. I have visited the colony of Northern Gannets on Bonaventure Island in Québec and it is a spectacular experience one does not soon forget. In fact I have been there twice - but I think Cape St. Mary's deserves a turn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love that place. What amazing photos. Love to watch birds in their habitats b x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that area. It has always been foggy when I’ve been there too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved seeing your photos of bird species that are entirely new to me. And such beautiful scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would be a fabulous place -- that Northern Gannett is beautiful and so are your photos. I'm not a birdwatcher as such, but when I have the opportunity, I love watching, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos of the sea birds, Lorrie! They are so interesting to watch. We visited New Foundland 19 years ago at Corner Brook and really enjoyed our visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos. Yes I love birdwatching I do it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love bird watching and I am fascinated by seeing different kinds of birds, but I am not serious about it and don't often know what I am seeing. You got some amazing shots. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely place! Beautiful pictures too!
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos, Lorrie, of the birds and the cliffs and the sea. I have seen such places only in TV documentaries.
    I'm a lazy birdwatcher. Most of my bird photos have been taken near our home, many even through windows. With timid birds, it's really practical.
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your bird photos are incredible, Lorrie!
    I've never seen these birds before.

    Hugs and blessing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marilyn M4:49 PM

    What amazing bird photos. Not birds I have ever seen and so beautiful!! I do love watching birds, but not a dedicated birdwatcher.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The friend I walk with is a bird watcher and often points out birds and calls them by name. I'm always intrigued by how people know the type of bird. Like, how did you know the names of the birds you saw? I had to read that first sentence several times before realizing that you did not say "Argentina" ... and then I saw the penguin ... 😄

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an experience that must have been! You were so blessed to see all of the seabirds. They are so beautiful. We've never been the birdwatchers who go into the wild but we have faithfully fed and enjoyed birds for decades. They give such meaning to our daily life. You caught some amazing pictures there, Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

In the Evening Light

  The light behind the waving trees I see through my window is pale yellow. The kitchen is tidy; my tasks for the day are complete. I love t...