Thursday, December 14, 2023

It Comes and Goes

 


I love this season of the year. Advent, with all its heart-focused preparations for Christmas, is deeply meaningful. Then there are the physical plans - considering gifts to make or buy for loved ones, filling the freezer with cookies and other treats, and decorating the house with lights and festive greenery. All this can add up to overly busy days.


On top of all the preparations, I want to feel Christmassy. I want to be excited about the season, to revel in the glow of lights, to find myself smiling throughout the day. I've learned, however, that feelings come and go, and to be okay with that. Christmas doesn't mean that frustrations, difficulties, and sorrows disappear. Indeed, sometimes hard things are magnified by the expectations of the season. Walking under the stars (or in falling snow), sitting quietly by the fire, hearing Christmas music in the stores, or just being content puttering away in my home are moments when that elusive "Christmas spirit" fills me with a measure of happiness. I am learning to be content with those moments, knowing that they will pass, but also that they will come again. 


This week I made Almond Crescents, a recipe from my mom. Not too sweet, but nutty and buttery - a lovely treat. Last night I packaged up cookies and treats and put them into small tins to share with friends. What fun that was!



We decorated the Christmas tree this week, always a real one. It's on the small side so I chose the most meaningful ornaments to hang on it - "Remember this one," he or I would say?
I'm mindful of the BeeGee's song lyrics 

"When I was small, and Christmas trees were tall..." 
"Now we are tall, and Christmas trees are small..."

And so the years are counted in stories told and memories cherished. And the happiness comes and goes. And that's just fine.




18 comments:

  1. Lovely sentiments that echo my own thoughts. It’s the scents from cooking, the smell of logfires and roasting chestnuts. They all bring that special magic that is Christmas. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully expressed and illustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our life is made up of moments; good ones, bad ones. They come and go filling us with happiness, or expectations of happiness.
    Ornaments, greenery, cookies - all participate in the festivities of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely thoughts of the season, beautifully written. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tears are in my eyes reading your lovely post because your message is so true. And I've learned to accept both ends of those feelings because you just can't control feelings and the beautiful ones are so very beautiful. I don't remember the BeeGee lyrics and will have to ask RH about them as he remains such a fan. Growing up with my father in the Christmas tree business and RH having a garden center for 15 years where we sold them meant that we always had a real tree until we sold our farm 8 years ago and downsized. I'm glad you have a real one, as we passed Christmas tree lots yesterday driving to Nashville where it seemed as if so many lots were still very full. RH still misses his annual trips to North Carolina to tag Christmas trees he wanted for the store, and I still remember going with my father when the railway car was opened to reveal the beauty and scent of Christmas trees shipped from Canada when I was a little girl, and the letter hidden in one from a little girl in Canada whose daddy grew them. Precious memories, loaded with fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:18 PM

    There's nothing quite like a real tree. The Almond Crescents look delicious. So many special things in this wonderful season. GM

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look nice and cozy...
    I always bake this type of almond croissant at Christmas time.
    A cheerful greeting goes to you from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the post I needed to read today. I'm living in the land of the crazies where things are getting done but in high speed and some of the joy of doing it is gone when you have to work so fast and plan so carefully to get it all in. I'm hoping that after today I can take a little more time to truly celebrate the season in a more calm way. So, thanks for this, Lorrie. It's a fine reminder. I loved all the photos and the crescents look lovely. I hope your holiday is absolutely wonderful in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such heartfelt thoughts of the season, Lorrie.
    And so beautifully expressed.

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marilyn M5:31 PM

    I love your description of the Christmas feeling. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lorrie - your post really resonated with me. I also find that the elusive "Christmas spirit" comes and goes, and if I experience that with my faith, what must others be feeling? I am so blessed to know that my salvation does not depend on how I feel from day to day! Thanks for your beautiful post, in words and images!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your sentiment about the years being counted in stories told and memories cherished! For some reason your post also reminded me of how joy and sorrow interwine to shape our character and cause us to lean in on Jesus. He truly is Emmanuel, God with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post reminded me of the song, "Where are you Christmas?" By Faith Hill, I think.

    I listened to the BeeGees growing up, but I never knew they did a Christmas song.

    I agree that the Christmas season comes with highs and lows.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You describe those feelings very well and I think you capture the essence of the time of Advent. Celebrating Advent has always been more important in Germany that it is here in the US and this is the time when I miss my native country the most. Your first photo is so wonderful and says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well said, Lorrie. I think the sooner we can learn to be okay with the highs and lows of the Christmas season the more content we will feel. Your photo of the almond crescents is so pretty, not to mention looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

In the Evening Light

  The light behind the waving trees I see through my window is pale yellow. The kitchen is tidy; my tasks for the day are complete. I love t...