Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Spring of Deception

 


Unseasonably warm and pleasant temperatures have everyone outdoors. Over the past four days I've gardened, walked along the water, kayaked, and hiked a coastal trail. We all know this false spring won't last, but we're making the most of it. 
Yesterday Tim and I hiked part of the Coast Trail, a rugged path overlooking the Strait of Juan de Fuca. It's one of our favourite places, a bit rugged with lots of uneven rocks to scramble over, and gorgeous ocean and mountain views at every turn. 



We met a number of people on the trail, all enjoying this wonderful weather. While walking we both go at a good pace, but we stop frequently to admire sights along the way. One of these serendipitous discoveries yesterday was a patch of Henderson Shooting Stars (dodecathedron hendersonii). It was the only patch I found, a little off the beaten path where we paused to watch a quartet of Black Oystercatchers.


The four of them (only two visible in the photo) were obviously in a meeting of some sorts, taking turns to whistle shrilly at each other through their long red beaks. Things calmed down when two left and only two remained. 


We'd packed a lunch and ate while stretched out on a rock shelf warmed by the sun. What a view!


On the way back we smelled it before we saw it - Skunk Cabbage (lysichiton americanus) - smells exactly like its name. It grows in wet areas and is one of the first plants to emerge in the spring. Do you have Skunk Cabbage in your area? In the eastern part of the continent I understand it's purple, not yellow. 


We met an elderly man walking with his dogs on the trail back to our car. He asked if we had seen the rock walls said to have been built by two women over a period of time, before he moved to the area in 1977. We'd never heard of it, but after he told us how to get there, we took a short detour. There are probably 100 feet of dry stone walls 1-2 feet tall meandering over the hillside in graceful curves. Now moss-covered, no one really knows their history. A puzzle indeed. 

The sun is calling me again. Tomorrow things will cool again, but what a treat to have enjoyed these pleasant days. 

15 comments:

  1. You are SO lucky to have such a view! And what a nice walk! Here too it is sunny warm and dry ( too hot for the season) around 19C in March! I think the cabbage plant we have it in purple here.
    I may take the dog for a walk this afternoon in the village I have to wait until Saturday to see the vet and get his prescription again spring grass allergies! 😆

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rock walls are curious indeed. Love the oystercatchers. I’ve never seen any myself. The photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Lorrie! Thank you for taking me along on your beautiful hike through your words and photos. I have never heard of skunk cabbage. It’s so pretty, and too bad that it’s nasty smelling. The rock wall is intriguing! Make one wonder why these ladies felt the need to build it.
    I’m glad you enjoyed the outdoors while it’s so nice there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post Lorrie. Nice view and paths, flowers birds and sea. Thanks for the ride, we had a great time. Have a nice spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great views and captures!
    The word 'deception' fits not only the weather , but also other aspects of life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely walk you had. The rock walls are indeed a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our hiking days are over! Thanks for taking me along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delightful day! We woke to snow this morning. All gone now, but only 30 so below freezing and you can tell. I like your day better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Lorrie,
    We've worked several times in your area and went to the North American Mushroom Conference where Pieter was a speaker. We also found the biological Mom of Pieter's adopted daughter who was born in Prince Rupert.
    You live in a gorgeous area and if we would be fit and younger we would love to explore it more.
    That suspension bridge and garden was on my bucket list but no longer doable.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  10. How brilliant the light is there on your walk! I've always wanted to see skunk cabbage but never have. There is something about dry stone walls that tugs at my heartstrings. I have some favorite old ones in Nashville that I love to drive by, many of them crumbling down and I always wonder why someone doesn't keep them repaired. How observant of you to notice the purple flowers! I had to look them up, and found they're not in our area at all, and also looked up the name of the strait as it seemed odd for your part of the world. Interesting history there as well as great beauty where you hike.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:54 PM

    Stretched out on a rock in the sun -- that sounds perfect for a spring day. Though I suppose, if the rock is very bumpy, one can't stay there too long! I love to accompany you on your outings.

    Gretchen Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried to grow Skunk Cabbage in my small pond but sadly it wasn't happy. I have dodecathedron hendersonii envy - how lovely to have and see it growing in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The landscapes look so beautiful there, and the flowers are very pretty. I liked also the Skunk Cabbage before I read its name and your description. :) I read that the Lysichiton are grown also in Europe as decorative plants and may be found even in Finland as very recent neophytes.
    The stone walls are wonderfully mysterious.
    Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always a good idea to make the most of good weather... and you did!
    Lovely photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the lovely weather before it turned cool again. It is always fun to "walk" along with you, as you see different flora and fauna than we see on the East Coast.

    Our spring has been fickle too. Last Saturday, it was sunny and mild-ish. This Saturday it is chilly, windy, and quite wet . . . a good day to stay inside!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Friday Favourites

  Today I awoke to the soft beat of rain punctuated by a chorus of birds singing their morning songs. It's a soft rain, soaking into the...