Monday, July 15, 2024

On a Monday in July

 


A quick post on this sunny Monday morning. The air is fresh and cool in the shade, but the heat of the sun on my head tells me it will be another warm day. Roses and hydrangeas bloom and bloom. Tiny lizards race to escape the spray of the hose as I give potted plants an extra dose of moisture. 
I pick blueberries. They ping in the pail until a softer sound tells me the bottom is covered. I harvest lettuce, almost done now, but a new crop is growing nicely. Pole beans reach out their long tendrils to curl around the lattice. Squashes of various sorts sprawl into the paths between the beds, intent on taking over the garden. Tomatoes show lots of blossoms and a few fruits begin to form. 


Days are busy enough with gardens and household chores, and the presence of two little grand girlies. Their mother has two full courses to complete in one month, and we try to help as we can. It's good to let the days of July drift a little, taking a break from projects. 

I'll leave you with these words from Edna Jaques, a Canadian poet who published between the war years of the 20th century. 

"Go out, go out I beg of you
and taste the beauty of the wild.
Behold the miracle of the earth
with all the wonder of a child."

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:13 AM

    There's nothing sweeter than little grand girlies in the summer! Your comment brought back so many memories of the early 1990's with my two small granddaughters. The poem describes so well the joy of those times. Thank you for expressing it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The artansias are beautiful,
    so representative of the summer!!
    Have a nice Week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a wonderful song by The Fisherfolk, years ago. I'm paraphrasing, but I think it said 'I want to be a child again. I want to see the world again.... through five year old eyes'. I wonder if the awe escapes us as we get older?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edna Jaques is so right :-)))
    Enjoy!
    Enjoy... the garden, the grandchildren, nature, the sunshine with blue skies.
    A hug for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edna knew what she was talking about! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:22 PM

    Thank you for sharing your blog. I love how your words mix together to form beautiful sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The vase with flowers looks impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Lorrie,
    Lovely photos of your summer garden dreams.
    ENJOY your precious little grand girlies.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our summers are way too short, so I'm trying to enjoy my outdoor walks as much as possible.

    The purple flowers are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lovely little poem. July can be a very busy month. It's good to be reminded to enjoy those miracles of the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A perfect post. I can feel the heat in your corner. B x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lorrie from first-time visitor who came over from Barbara's Coastal Ripples blog. I so enjoyed the way you describe your gardens and what is growing in them. The poet's words were wise ones that when heeded bring much joy. You have obviously taken heed of that advice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely post to read...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Monday morning in the garden sounds delightful!
    Edna Jaques' poem was a perfect touch, reminding us to cherish nature's wonders like children.

    Happy Thursday, Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the image of July days drifting. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marilyn M7:43 PM

    We picked our first tomato today, which is quite early for us in Portland. It must be all the hot weather.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Friday Favourites: Baking, Flowers, Books

  In the evening light the garden glows. I hate to admit to the waning of summer, but it's coming. Days are shorter, nights are cooler. ...