Friday, July 26, 2024

Summer Sightings

 



Not really a sighting, but a look back. We celebrated our anniversary this past week. How young we were and how in love. Still very much in love, and not quite so young. 


We went out on the boat for a few days. Lovely sunshine, but a not so lovely wind until we were tucked away in our quiet anchorage. Chugging past the light on Sidney Spit I took a photo with Mount Baker in the background. The gull flew in to photo-bomb at the last second. 


We anchored in narrow Annette Inlet, sheltered from the wind. One of our favourite things to do is paddle around the shore in kayaks or the dinghy. I was so pleased to get close enough to a kingfisher for a good photo. They are notoriously skittish. Holding my camera steady on a tippy watercraft adds to the challenge. This little one flew off just after I clicked the shutter. I love their cheerful cry and the way they swoop up and down over the water.


Seals look so funny perched on rocky islets, head and tails out of the water. As our boat swings at anchor, the view is ever-changing. We look up from our books and discover something new every time. One hot afternoon we observed a buck deer resting near the shore in the shade behind a fallen log, almost imperceptible in colouring. He lay quietly for an hour or more then gracefully rose and walked off. 


A small heron rookery lies at the head of the inlet. Paddling by one evening one of the herons flew in front of us, dropping a large feather enroute. It wafted slowly downwards, back and forth, landing softly on the water right in front of our boat. Magical. 


Then a few days of camping on the island with my brother and his wife. Parksville is one of the few places here with a wide sandy beach (this is the rocky part). There are hundreds of little rock stacks on one corner of the beach. 

We've been following the news about the wildfires in Jasper. Have you ever visited the town and national park? It's such a beautiful spot, now partially destroyed. The fire continues and the full damage won't be known for some time. At home earlier in the week I awoke in the night to the strong smell of smoke. After wandering about the house I looked outside and saw the horizon blurred by wildfire smoke that burned my nose and throat. Fortunately, no humans have been injured in either fire. 

Temperatures have cooled, but winds and lightning are contributing to a difficult fire season. 

Time for another walk along the beach. 

20 comments:

  1. Lorrie, what lovely sightings you have come upon. Love that heron on his perch - as you say, magical. Happy belated anniversary to you and Tim. Wishing you many more years of sunshine and roses, love and companionship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated anniversary! What a lovely couple you were and no doubt—still are.
    Your boat trip was kind of magical with such nature to observe!
    Hoping all the wildfires will be controlled soon.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Viktoria9:05 PM

    I hope everyone is doing well, I have some news to share today.... In the next week I am moving to NOLA and hoping this new journey will put me back into the attitude that change is good. So much to do and not enough time to do it. I am so thankful for all the wonderful people in my life (including Pedro Jerome) a loan lender that support me at all times I am excited and also worried my life has been such a downer for so long that getting out of it has been hard, but I do really feel that this change is going to be the best thing I need right now, and I have hopes that all good things do come to those that wait.
    I'm thanking a loan lender who helped me with a loan of 1 millions dollars to boost up my business once again at the rate of 2% annual return which is so wonderful, and I would like anyone stuck in financial situation to reach out to Pedro the loan lender on pedroloanss@gmail.com WhatsApp: +393510140339. For loan assistance.
    So please keep me in your thoughts, and thanks to this blog I can at least keep in contact with all of you.


    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated happy anniversary wishes, Lorrie! The photo is so beautiful!
    This morning there is an article about the Alberta wildfires in our local newspaper. It seems such a beautiful and interesting area. I wish I could send rain and calmer winds there.
    Your wildlife photos are lovely; I liked especially the cute seals.
    Have a pleasant weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely photo Lorrie. When I look back at mine I wish for that youthfulness to return!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your wedding photo is lovely - congratulations to you both. Lovely capture of the Kingfisher, but what a cute little fellow he is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belated anniversary wishes for many more happy years together.

    I love your photos and description of your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happiest of anniversaries to you two! So sorry and sad for all the fire devastation. We have another day of hazy and smoky skies here. So many evacuations in the state. Your getaway looked so refreshing with some great sightings. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary!
    You both look so much in love, a tender photo.
    Your days on the water have lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have not changed a bit over the years! WOW! What a beautiful photo! Happy Anniversary. Keep celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many happy belated anniversary wishes.

    I did enjoy seeing your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary. That's a lovely picture of the two of you.
    You were lucky to get such a good shot of the Kingfisher!!
    Yes, we have visited Jasper and feel so sad about the fire damage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary to you. It sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate. Love the wildlife photos, especially the kingfisher. That is a great capture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that first photo. A very happy anniversary to you both. I’m always intrigued how your birds are so different. Our variety of kingfisher looks totally different. I can imagine those few days away on your boat were idyllic.
    So sad about Jasper. We travelled there with our campervan and three sons back in 2000. We had the most amazing holiday and still talk about it now. So sad to see the images of the fire and the loss of properties. It takes so long to come back after such an awful event like that. B x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy anniversary and thank you for this beautiful photo.
    It's great that you had a great boat trip.
    The forest fires are terrible, we also had one in the national park in 2022 that came from the neighboring country... it was the summer with the great drought.
    This year we have a lot of refreshing rain, normal temperatures, lots of sun... nature is in its most beautiful splendor... just to enjoy.
    A hug to you from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your wedding anniversary!

    I've never been to Jasper, but it's on my bucket list. The wildfires are heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Asha from India10:10 AM

    Happy Anniversary! Lovely pic of the two of you. Yes, have been to Jasper for a conference way back in 2006! We had done some white water rafting there which was great fun! Sad to hear about the wildfires.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marilyn M2:21 PM

    Happy belated anniversary! A few days on your boat and being surrounded by nature sounds just perfect for celebrating. Hoping the fires diminish and go away without anymore destruction.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happiest of anniversaries to you! Love the wedding photo . . . and love that you're still in love! You celebrated in a way that seems perfect for you and you were rewarded with some beautiful sights!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aw.
    Our kids spent a week together at Lindell, at Jess' cottage. It is so beautlful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Friday Favourites

  The stars are always above us, swirling in the vast reaches of space, hidden by clouds or, more frequently, by light, that of the sun or o...