Monday, October 05, 2026

Blogtober 5: Close to Home

 


My husband has breakfast with a group of friends on Monday mornings and leaves the house early. I tend to get up with him and go for a walk. A thin crescent moon hung in the sky as I started out. I debated which jacket to wear and was glad I chose the light down one for the air had a distinct chill. 

Groups of crows flew by, black silhouettes against the lightening sky. Other birds began singing their morning songs and I stopped to listen and identify them with the Merlin app. A trio of Sparrows - Golden-Crowned, White-Crowned, and White-Throated. The last has a distinctive whistling sound suggested by the app to say "sweet Canada," and now I think I'll recognize the sound always. There were Spotted Towhees and Dark-eyed Juncos, all making merry noises but staying hidden in trees and shrubs. 


Half-way through my walk the horizon changed to soft pink, not just in the east, but in every direction. Early cyclists raced by on their way to work or school. I met a few people walking their dogs. 


Breakfast has never been my favourite meal. When I was a child we often had cooked oatmeal, and I grew to hate it. The texture is what bothered me the most despite the added brown sugar and milk. I've heard a lot about Overnight Oats but couldn't imagine they would be an improvement. When we were in Mexico last December, overnight oats were on the breakfast buffet and I decided to give them a try. To my surprise, the texture was fine. I now enjoy them several times a week. I mix equal amounts of rolled oats (not quick), plain yogurt, milk, and a couple of teaspoons of maple syrup. This morning I added a handful of the raspberries that are still producing in the garden. I find it quite satisfying with a cup of tea alongside. 

The chilly morning soon gave way to a sunny warm afternoon. Roses continue to bloom. Molyneaux has now spent a full year in the garden and has produced beautifully. Her colour is rather autumnal now, a deeper yellow than earlier in the season.

I spent the day mostly at home doing this and that, and ventured out just to the grocery store this afternoon. For dinner I roasted a garden-grown zucchini along with carrots and mushrooms, made a lettuce salad with radishes from the garden, pan-roasted some chicken breasts, and my husband had some rice. Best of all, there's enough left over for another meal. 

The kitchen is tidy and I'm sitting in a pool of lamplight in the living room. After I post this, I'll begin reading a book I picked up from the library, The Cromarty Library Circle by Shona Maclean. I probably learned of the book from a blog, but I can't remember whose. 



14 comments:

  1. Early morning here in Finland. 🍁 I'm enjoying your blogtober posts and thinking of maybe having some oatmeal. Thanks for the tip 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oatmeal is good for our bodies, and tastes good, too. I like it in cakes and breads, and in crumble toppings on baked fruit, but the texture of cooked oatmeal is just too...ugh...for me.

      Delete
  2. Close to home is a nice theme for day 5, and a good reminder that there's usually plenty to see right around us. Looking forward to the rest of your Blogtober.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana. Yes, there's plenty to admire almost anywhere in the world.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:55 AM

    I feel exactly like you about cooked oatmeal and prefer the overnight oats with yogurt and fruit. It’s quite cool here this morning in southern Ontario, but temperature will warm up in the next few days. The photos on your blog are beautiful. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki. It's good to know there are others with the same taste distinctions. Autumn is definitely settling in across the country.

      Delete
  4. How lovely to still have raspberries in the garden. They do make an ordinary dish taste quite 'un ordinary!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The raspberries are fewer, but just as delicious!

      Delete
  5. My grandchildren have porridge every morning but I don’t like the taste even with honey and fruits.
    It’s nice to have vegetables and fruits from your garden. We used to have a big vegetable garden in the past, maybe we could have one next year when my husband will be retired end of December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine. I do enjoy gardening and eating the harvest. It does take time and might be something your husband will enjoy when retired.

      Delete
  6. I hope you enjoy the book, I mentioned how I loved it a while ago. A little bit Jane Austen. Nothing better than an early morning walk as the sun colours the sky, then breakfast on your return. Perfect. B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. My breakfast is overnight porridge of chia seeds and yoghurt, I love it :) Beautiful morning photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fall is beautiful at your home!! Dinner centered on your late-harvest produce sounds wonderful and I like and will try your simplified o-n oats recipe. I don't mind the hot porridge but I never ate it growing up because my dad said he hated it for the same reason you cite. (I ate it only rarely when we stayed overnight with my grandparents who, apparently, never stopped serving it every single morning....which I have to agree would get old.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful skies and lovely flower photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Blogtober 6: A Foggy Walk

  There was little definition between sea and sky this morning at Island View Beach. Fog made everything mysterious. I had an appointment no...