Saturday, October 03, 2026

Blogtober 3: Lingering in the Garden

 


The garden keeps showing off beautiful blooms day after day. I know that their time is short and I am cutting flowers with abandon, placing vases on tables and mantels throughout the house. I photographed a collection of three arrangements all crowded together on the dining room table - dahlias, zinnias, and cosmos, each in their own container. 


I've since cut down most of the cosmos as I need to tidy the garden beds in order to plant garlic in the next few weeks, and these sprawling flowers had taken over a lot of space. I've left one or two smaller plants in out-of-the-way spots where the bees can still enjoy them. 


Hydrangeas are fading, but still so pretty. 


While out in the garden on a recent sunny day, I heard a loud whirring behind me and turned to see an Anna's Hummingbird so close that I could have touched it. It's hard to capture them in photos for they move so fast and don't stay anywhere for any length of time. The birds will winter here, feeding on seed heads and anything that might bloom. 

I cannot endure to waste anything so precious as 
autumnal sunshine by staying in the house. 
Nathanial Hawthorne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Blogtober 3: Lingering in the Garden

  The garden keeps showing off beautiful blooms day after day. I know that their time is short and I am cutting flowers with abandon, placin...