Friday, October 09, 2026

Blogtober 9: Random Thoughts

 


Bright drifts of colour lighten the wooded spaces around the library where I went to return a few books and pick up others I'd ordered. One I returned was The Cromarty Library Circle by Shona MacLean. The story revolves around a group of people in Scotland in the 1820s who form a library for purchasing and sharing books. It's a very exclusive group of which only the "right people" can be a part.

I couldn't help but think of my own public library with branches throughout the region where anyone can freely borrow books, use the computers, and spend time reading newspapers or playing chess. How wonderful it is to live in an age where books are so widely available. I am thankful. 


Rain overnight and dark clouds this morning. The ominous clouds hung around for most of the day, but only in half of the sky. And that half changed throughout the day. First the clouds were in the south, then the west, then the east, then the north. It looked like rain, but none fell. The wind blew those clouds round and round throughout the day. 

The wild cyclamen are so lovely right now. The ones above grow in a naturalized lawn I pass on one of my walking routes. But others line the path in the woods.


Also growing alongside the path are autumn crocuses, (colchicum autumnale) that are not true crocus. But I don't mind at all what they are called - I just like seeing them them. 


Tim and I had a bit of an education today. Since we purchased our new vehicle, the old one must be sold. Tim wrote an ad and put it online. We had at least a dozen potential buyers contact us, some saying they wouldn't quibble on the price and would buy it sight unseen, if only we would get a report verifying there were no liens or the vehicle hadn't been in an accident. However, they all wanted reports from different companies. We began to smell something fishy and did a little research. 

These scammers send a link for you to order a report from a certain company, and once you do, you've given them your credit card number for fraud. Fortunately, we did none of that and are much more cautious now about anyone who says they will be here at 4:30 with a certified cheque if we just get that report. Nonsense. I just don't understand people who live by scamming others. 


But back to happier things. In the evenings now we need lights everywhere. I prefer lamps to overhead lights for reading and ambiance and found a cordless touch lamp for the entry hall that I like very much. 

Today's been a day for laundry, grocery shopping, and getting a few more things ready for dinner on Sunday. This evening we will be watching another episode or two of the Durrells. Have you watched it? I read a book by Gerry Durrell several years ago and enjoyed it. Then just this week I ran across a quote by Lawrence Durrell in one of my commonplace books - "a taste as old as cold water" - speaking of the culture of the Mediterranean. 

This has been quite the ramble today. I'll sign off and wish you all a beautiful day/evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Blogtober 9: Random Thoughts

  Bright drifts of colour lighten the wooded spaces around the library where I went to return a few books and pick up others I'd ordered...