Friday, September 11, 2009

It's Pen to Paper

I have kept a journal for many years. It's not a diary of my daily deeds, or of what's going on in my world. I don't feel compelled to write everyday. Sometimes I write just a few lines, sometimes I write pages. I find writing very cathartic - it's my go-to place when I am confused, frustrated or pensive. I usually come away from writing feeling calmer and more directed in my thoughts.

I recently took some books out of the library on book binding. And as a beginning project I hand stitched this little journal. The covers are pieces of thin chipboard that were saved from something. I glued on a scrap of paper, stamped a couple of leaves and found the word to glue onto the front cover.
I hand stitched the binding using linen thread. I made three signatures of four sheets each - a combination of drawing paper and some other paper I had lying around. The entire project took a very short time and I'm pretty pleased with it for a first effort. I'd like to make some using old book covers now. I like the look of the exposed stitching, and I love the fact that the book lies flat - great for drawing and collaging. I think there will be more handmade journals in my future.

What about you? Do you confide your thoughts to a journal? Do you collect quotations and poems? What do you collect them in?
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. Love that! I love to write also. I have always written in journals of all shapes and size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try/tried to write in a journal..have difficulty with words..so painting/collages seem to be my way...love the book you made...we were in Victoria the last few days..take care..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorrie, I wish we lived closer..... if I hung around you a little bit, I know I'd be doing more creative things. I used to do all kinds of things, but it kinda slipped away after the trauma of dealing some family and personal illness a few years back.

    I used to be a member of the Calligraphic Society in Edmonton and always enjoyed the wonderful creativity housed in the group....book binding included.

    So glad you shared.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lorrie,

    I actually do not keep a personal journal. But I do keep a garden journal.

    Yours looks fabulous!


    ~ Gabriela ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this journal is so lovely !! I would do things like that when I was younger : I kept all sorts of journals - that I've thrown away because they were about not-so-good times - and if I wasn't journalling I was penpalling, all over the world. I used to decorate Friendship Books and I loved that. Now I miss this a little, that's why I started blogging ! And I keep my gardening agenda and Dream book. The funny thing is, Elise is now doing the same ! I'm very proud and I encourage her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks fun ! I'll add it to my list of things I'll do .....or , to be more realistic , the things-I'd-love-to-do list .
    I've just read your last entry and I hope another job interview with a happier ending turns up for your husband soon . So much talent is just being wasted at the moment .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! I think you've inspired me to make a journal. I love quotes and have them written on little scraps of paper that get lost:( Have a nice week! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your handmade journal, you did such a great job! I love making handmade books too and have kept a journal for 13 years now.

    Thank you for dropping in and for your sweet congrats on our new family member. I hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...