Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Boats and Lilacs

 



We belong to a small boating group with the only criteria being that the members have to have owned, at some point, an Albin boat. Quite a number of these Swedish-made boats were imported to British Columbia in the 1970s, and ours is one of them. They are small and very sea-worthy. 

Between May and September several rendezvous bring a number of Albin boats and owners together. We enjoy chatting, and there is a lot of looking at boats and engines and other boring-to-me things, as well as a potluck barbecue one night. This past weekend was one such meet-up. On Saturday morning we pulled out from the dock in the pouring rain and made our way to Port Browning, about 1.5 hours away. In the end, it was a small, select group of four boats, each with two people. Rain and wind caused quite a few to cancel. 


Late afternoon the skies brightened and I took a few photos. We stood and watched the heron hunting for a few moments. How quick he is, darting that menacing beak into the mud with ferocious accuracy and coming up with a bite to gulp. 


In recent posts I may have mentioned been whining about the chilly weather. I felt vindicated when I read that this is the coldest May in 100 years. Farmers are worried about their crops and the lack of bees.  

The cold weather caused we hardy sailors to cancel the barbecue plans and eat dinner together in the pub, seen above. We were warm, dry, and much more comfortable. 


Apple blossom in the evening light is a beautiful sight. The rain returned with a vengeance on Sunday morning as we made our way back to our island. It was so lovely to take a hot shower and put on warm clothes at home. 


Today we are between systems. I watch the clouds moving in, covering this morning's blue sky, and I'm glad I went for a walk early. As I type, the lilacs outside my window wave at me. 

My piano is being tuned this morning. The tuner came last Tuesday and after a bit asked me if I wanted an adequate tuning, or a really good one. It was VERY out of tune. The really good tuning requires this second visit. A job worth doing is worth doing well! Even last week's tuning was a great improvement. I'm looking forward to playing more often now that it sounds better. 


There is a vase filled with lilacs on the mantel. How lovely they smell when I walk through the room. Their season is so short that I make every effort to enjoy it to the full.


25 comments:

  1. Oh weather systems can dampen spirits for sure. (I don't know where they are headed, but hope they fade out before arriving here.) Your lilacs are blooming; mine are as well. You are a plucky one to go on the boating adventure. I would not be. Cold? Nope. When my piano was last tuned, I was told that there were a number of issues that could not be addressed, unless I wanted the internal workings to be lifted out and taken to the shop. 😳 I declined. I will make like Mr. Livingstone and make do. You will be so pleased with your properly tuned piano.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your boat outing sounds wonderful despite the cold and rain.

    I am reminded that those cold and damp bonding moments gathering with friends in Nature, can only go so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a rough and impressive sea trip on your boat... it's nice to do something like that with friends. I imagine it wonderful :-))) Thanks for the beautiful photos. The lilacs also bloom in my garden... the glory :-) happy evening to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That reminds me, I ought to get mine done!
    I can just smell the blossoms! Yum!
    (ツ) from <A HREF="https://mymuskoka.blogspot.com/2022/05/flora-and-fauna-tails.html> Cottage Country Ontario </A>, ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the scent of lilac. It looks so pretty on your mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad the weather last weekend was so awful. Good thing you opted for dinner at that pub rather than trying to BBQ.
    Your lilacs are wonderful. I wish the season was longer but like you I bring in a few and enjoy them while they last.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Lilacs. I so wish I could still smell that wonderful fragrance, but I can still enjoy the beauty of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your boating group sounds like fun. Nice to eat inside the pub during the cold rain for sure! I always wanted to learn to play the piano!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photos fill the senses. I can almost smell the lilacs! I wish you good weather!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have headed straight for that pub, too. Those lilacs are so gorgeous and the apple blossoms, too. How fun to have a unique boat with enthusiasts to enjoy trips with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here the Weather is too hot 30C and in some place 35 C! It is very, very dry.
    I stay inside in the afternoons and tonight violent thunderstorm !
    The lilac blooming here is over, but roses are replacing them.
    The weather is very strange …
    Nice to have a boat and go out with other people
    You should have had our weather it would have been better for your outing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can almost smell those lilacs here from my Skye apartment. Heavy rain here too. I’m impressed with your resilience and enthusiasm for boating. I’m sure you had fun despite the cold and a meal at the pub sounds excellent. At home they’ve had a really hot week for May. This weather is so topsy turvy at the moment. B x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your apple blossoms and lilacs are gorgeous πŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and Tim are adventurous! I'm glad you all chose the pub rather than the bbq!

    Your lilacs are lovely. I didn't have as many this year, as I had given it a good pruning last year. The ones I did have were delightful.

    We've had lots of rain, and been rather cool this spring, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Only the hardy, reap the rewards!

    🌼🌱🌼🌱🌼🌱🌼

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the scent of lilacs, but they make both of us sneeze. -sigh-

    🌼🌱🌼🌱🌼🌱🌼

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lorrie - we have had a much colder than normal Spring. For us, April was the coldest ever on record. Looking back through my garden journal, I can see that plant growth and flowering is at least 2 weeks behind the normal pace! Interesting that your piano would require more than one tuning - we experienced this when having our vintage upright piano tuned. The piano tuner said he would have broken the strings if he had tried to do it in one go! He has been twice, and says he thinks it will be fully tuned with one more visit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm smiling at Ellen's comment about 'heading straight for the pub' in that kind of weather! This weather is not good for farmers or sailors or bees...not even for the birds! Thankfully the lilacs are still blooming...beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your boat group sounds like lots of fun! And I can't help envying you the beautiful part of our world that you live in, shown in this post and so many others in your superb photos. It's easy to see why you would want to be out enjoying every season there, even the chilly days. Especially ending up in a pub with friends! Surely it will turn warm soon?

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's so nice to cut some blooms and enjoy them inside! I remember getting pianos tuned...so interesting to watch them work. My piano is electric now and I don't play as much as I would like. I forget to practice! lol Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed hearing about your boating adventure. High winds were never a happy time for me on the water. When we lived in VA we had a 16ft. catamaran and would sail it in Chesapeake Bay. We had some interesting experiences.

    Your lilacs are beautiful and I know you are enjoying them, as you will your piano now that it is tuned.

    Have a lovely weekend, Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely to see your apple blossoms and pretty lilacs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lorrie I have been catching up with Pass To the Left and this blog this morning. Your posts always fill me with such joy. You capture the most wonderful images. Thank you for adding such beauty to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh the lilacs!! (Repeat of my comment on your post above>) Wow, you two are intrepid sailors -- I know it's a good boat as ours is too -- but I am a definitely a fair weather boater! (Of course in defense, rain is usually accompanied by lightning in these parts. No boat is good enough for that!)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your lilacs, candles and mirror above the mantle!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...