Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Early May in the Garden

 


The bright sunshine outside my window looks like spring, but the chilly blast that greets me when I step out the door assures me that we're still below normal temperature for the season. Looking on the positive side - the tulips and rhododendrons are lasting longer than usual. 


And the lilacs are in bloom! I have a small vase on the window ledge beside my computer and the fragrance is so sweet. Lilacs make me think of Anne of Green Gables. One of my favourite things about L.M. Montgomery's writing is how in tune with the seasons she was. Anne's affinity for the natural world is evident in every book in the Green Gable series - she delights in blossoms and light, and mourns the loss of beautiful trees. She said, "The world looks like something God had just imagined for his own pleasure, doesn't it?"


In 2016 Tim had a business trip out to Prince Edward Island, and we took a week's vacation before his conference. It was June, and a very late spring on PEI. A friend took me to the Green Gables site and I was so pleased to see the lilacs blooming all around the white house. 


More than lilacs are blooming in my garden just now. There are hopes of strawberries, the wisteria is draped over the garden shed in profusely scented clusters, and tulips still stand proudly. Little Italian Wall Lizards are awakening from their winter sleep and scampering all over the garden. They are invasive and I do wish there was some way to be rid of them. A number of years ago a man had a private zoo in our area and when he died, or was done with the zoo, the lizards were set loose. They have multiplied like crazy and are spreading throughout the south island. 


Cornflowers (centaurea montana) are also considered invasive here, but I enjoy seeing them in my garden. They are easy enough to control here, and I haven't seen many of them while out in the woods. How happy I was to see a half-dozen bees busy about the blue flowers on Sunday. It's been so cold that many insects have not yet appeared. We have done some pollinating with a paintbrush on our apricot and apple trees. 

I'll leave you with a quote from Anne, "Dear old world, you are very lovely and I am glad to be alive in you." 


23 comments:

  1. I echo Anne's words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many lilacs in my corner at the moment. And wisteria too. I love Anne of Green gables and all the quotes too. Maybe I’ll get to visit P EI one of these days. Love the corn flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were at Cavendish today. We are weeks from lilacs yet. Anne was so right though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful quote. The anticipation of the beauty that is to come as the season unfurls is always a great joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do miss the smell of lilacs! Lovely words of Anne's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love lilacs, but with age, have developed an allergy to them. sigh

    🌼 🌼 🌼 🌼 🌼 🌼

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the weather we are having lately - brrr.

    I envy your trip to PEI - I have read other books set there, I think, and it is sooo far away and seemingly fantastical, that I always think it would make a lovely vacation spot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photo of the lilac blooming against the white clapperboard house. Strawberries for tea definitely appears to be on the cards. I can see that their little berries are already beginning to set. We have a large patch of wild ones that have suddenly appeared from who knows where this year?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic spring blooming dear Lorrie. I will see blooming lilacs and Centaurea montana appr. one month’s time, because it is cool also here. Wishing a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always wanted to travel to Prince Edward Island. I always imagined myself walking on the beach with a white dress...and a sash...and a hat in my hand! Beautiful flowers and lovely quotes. I need to watch those old movies again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anne is so quotable! I agree with this quote 100%!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an beautiful world we live in! Your flowers are more advanced than mine and so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently watched Anne with an E and absolutely loved it. Hated to see it end. I would love to get to PEI one day. What a lovely memory of the lilacs for you. Yours are looking so pretty and I am trying to conjure up the scent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know cornflowers were invasive. I like them too.
    Love the Anne quote at the end of your post.
    And lilacs, oh my how I do love them. How exciting to have seen them on Prince Edward Island.
    I have been waiting for wisteria to bloom, now I must go looking for them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful Spring blooms. That's sad about those lizards and how they were set loose in the south of the island. Yikes. There have been lots of incidents of animals and plants that were brought to different regions that have become invasive and destructive...like Kudzu!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful world this is...and there's nothing like lilacs in spring to remind us of it. Your bouquet makes me want to nuzzle my nose in it for a whiff.

    Like you, I love that L.M. Montgomery's writing is so in tune with the seasons. She has some wonderful lines that are quite unforgettable.

    Such lovely things in your garden. Thanks for letting us have a peek.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love lilacs. Years ago we visited the Hulda Klager lilac gardens in Washington state. Hulda created new varieties and colours of lilacs. It was amazing
    ( although my favourite colour for them is the dark purple one).
    I don't think I'd like those little lizards much either. Unfortunate that they were released and now are pests.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our lilacs are in bloom and there is a nice smell with the heat.
    I am scared of lizards ! The blue flowers are called «  bleuet » in France I remember we had a lot when I was a child, but now they are disappearing from the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The rhododendron in our yard is putting on a show, nearly fully bloomed! I love your Anne of Green Gables quotes and "Anne's" affinity for nature. Spring is a glorious season!

    (Oh dear. Those lizards!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lorrie - so happy for you that your garden is coming alive (with the possible exception of the lizards!) At first, I thought this was a new plant I didn't know about! We are still quite a ways behind you, but that's OK ... nature has her own timeline in every environment!

    ReplyDelete
  21. *Sigh!* So very beautiful! Again, your spring looks like our summer. Lilacs and rhododendrons will bloom in June here.
    The invasive lizard sounds worrying. People are very concerned about some alien plants but invasive animal species are often more harmful and even dangerous.
    I too love Montgomery's descriptions of landscapes, nature, seasons, time of the day. And I love the word "quotable".
    Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Enjoyed the photos, especially of the cornflower. How I would love to have lilacs. AND a visit to PEI and Green Gables! I love the same things about Anne that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello, Lorrie. I would not be to fond of the lizards either. I remember them(probably a different specie) from my summers in Mississippi. They were everywhere, including inside the house.
    I have always enjoyed the writing of Lucy M. Montgomery and the two quotes you used today are favorites and are so true.
    Enjoy these spring days..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...