Sunday, May 29, 2022

Sunny Sunday Evening

 


Today is my parents' 67th wedding anniversary. How young they look - my mother was just 18. 
Regarding my previous post about my childhood home, someone asked if my parents still lived in that home. No, they don't. We moved from there the year I turned 13. My parents were having a larger home built, but before we could move into it, my father was transferred to another town in the Interior of BC, and that's where I spent my high school years, and met my husband. 
My parents now live in the Fraser Valley region of BC, where they themselves grew up and still have lots of siblings and friends. My two siblings also live nearby. We joke in the family that I'm still living "overseas" because I'm on an island, although not nearly as far away as I once was in Ecuador! 


I've been doing a little sewing lately. We purchased a travel trailer, used, just when Covid began, and we're very glad we did. But the interior was all brown upholstery and I found it rather dark and dreary. I stitched new upholstery covers and cushions to brighten it up. The table is off just now because Tim is replacing the dark tabletop with a brighter one. 


Iris will be having her third birthday soon, and requested a nightgown similar to the flannel pajamas I made for Christmas.
I found some fun fabric with pink zebras, swinging monkeys, flowered hippos, and other animals, and stitched up a new nightgown. Then I thought it would be fun to make her a tutu skirt for dressing-up play. Of course, if I made one for Iris, her little sister, Cora, would want one, too, so I made two of them, one smaller than the other. I think they will enjoy playing with them. 


Now, around 7:30 pm, bright sunshine slants in through one side of the house, and shadows play on the living room wall. It's been very windy all day, and rather chill at times. But the warmth of the sun seems to be increasing, and I'm so very pleased about that. 

An early peony, red, bloomed lush and full. I cut a bouquet last week, and yesterday, while sitting reading, I heard a soft plop as most of the petals fell in one swoop onto the fireplace hearth. The later peonies are slowly forming fat blossoms and they will be pink and white. 

Columbine, Siberian Iris, California Poppy, and White Alliums are currently blooming. I planted the alliums a number of years ago and they bloomed one year and never again. I thought they had died, but this year, with the cedar hedge removed, they shot up and produced some lovely blooms. The bees enjoy them, too. The unnamed rose in our front garden produced the first roses, as usual. Lots of buds are forming on Gertrude Jekyll and Boscobel, too. 

We've been eating radishes, baby spinach, and arugula (rocket). I planted them at Easter, and the cool weather slowed down their growth. 

Tomorrow begins another week of teaching - just three weeks remaining. It's flown by, mostly enjoyable, but I'm ready to retire for good this time. 

I hope your week is full of lovely moments. 

21 comments:

  1. What a lovely photo of your parents, and how pretty the dress is compared to many today which tend to show a lot more skin. Very elegant.
    My peonies are covered in buds but reluctant to open. We need a bit more sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous wedding picture. Though it's interesting that you say how young they look - because although they do, I sense by today's standards they look mature for their age.
    And 67 years together - what a milestone to have reached; I wonder how many thousands of hours that is together... mind-boggling. I hope they have a happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your wonderful parents Lorrie - wow that's a long time, 10 years more than us which definitely makes me think how many more we'll see! Beautiful gown, so very different from what some brides choose to wear these days - I often wonder how they keep them up!!!

    Your camper must be looking really neat, you are such a great seamstress and now upholsterer. Love the pillows with the writing.
    Enjoy your week - hope there are more lovely moments, and the sun shines on your pretty garden. The radishes look tasty!
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to your parents! How fun that you purchased a travel trailer. It must be fun decorating it your way. Your flowers are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to have a travel trailer!
    The fabric colour is very nice you did a good job!
    Congratulations to your parents on your wedding anniversary.
    The girls will be very happy!
    I wish you a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the blue shades for your camper. I also love seeing those flowers. My early Peonies are almost ready to open. Spring and early summer are filled with anticipation and excitement .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so lovely... Your parents wedding picture. Happy they are back with those they knew.

    Today is our Memorial Day...

    Soooooo...

    My Sig. Line...

    💟Celebrate ~ Honor ~ Remember💟

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure your little sweeties will love their tutus. Our loved wearing theirs for their “ballet moves.”

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your granddaughters tutus are adorable, I am sure they will be thrilled with them! This is a gorgeous time. Today warm & sunny, tomorrow again rainy. But I enjoy so much my garden and the plants!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very impressed with your continued teaching! That wedding photo is beautiful and I love your mothers dress. great covers for your camper van and I love those tutus. I bet they will have fun playing with them. B x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your sewing projects. Oh those tutu's are just precious. I bet they love them. Our early peony is finished and now each day I am out in the garden watching the buds on my other peonies. Isn't garden watching the best and then of course picking and eating.
    Happy anniversary to your parents. That is a very long marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your updates on the travel trailer. So nice! Fun tutus! Congratulations to your dear folks on their 67th wedding anniversary! Hope your work week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary to your parents. What a lovely wedding photo.
    Your travel trailer interior looks anything by drab and dreary with the cheerful cushion covers you sewed. I hope you get lots of opportunities to go camping.
    Those tutus are adorable as no doubt Iris and Cora will also be when they parade around wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job on the camper cushions! Your granddaughters will be thrilled with their tutus. I’m not sure how you accomplish so much while teaching. Happy 67th anniversary to your parents! I almost feel like I know them, since they are good friends of my uncle and aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope YOUR week is full of good moments!
    Cheers from Ontario and our heat wave!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My parents married young, too! Your parents photo is beautiful.

    As always your garden is producing beauty, and your camera and good eye have captured it so well!

    Those tutus are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a pretty photo of your parents. Sixty-seven years is amazing and to them, I am sure the years have flown by. We will celebrate 50 years July 1 and it is hard to believe.

    The girls will enjoy your creations and their skirts show your skill. You may be sewing them real ones before too many years.

    Your blooms are gorgeous. Your red peony is my favorite and it looks like one I have named Red Grace.

    It has turned quite warm here and the plants are not happy. That means lots of watering. Have a great week, Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful wedding photo of your parents. Happy Anniversary to them!

    The new camper is perhaps much easier for traveling over the boat, which can not go
    just anywhere. Your granddaughters are going to love the tulle skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've given me lots of lovely moments from your pictures and accompanying stories today, Lorrie. Your mom's wedding dress is so similar to my mom's - same era (1956 for my parents). I have always loved it. Your travel trailer looks so inviting with your new cushions - love the ones with the buttons! And those tutus - oh I am swooning. I want to be Iris and swirl about in it. You do such lovely work. Your garden sounds heavenly, what a nice surprise to have the allium pop up from the grave, as it were.

    Wishing you a wonderful week ahead...
    Brenda xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing the lovely photograph of your parents, I send them happy anniversary wishes.

    I did enjoy seeing your colourful blooms, such a nice time of year for the garden.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Anniversary to your parents! I know your mom is one who knows some of my feelings about a daughter moving overseas. As a side note, my sister's daughter moved to Vancouver Island and likes to tease me that her daughter also lives overseas. =)
    Your granddaughters are lucky!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...