Thursday, May 05, 2022

Tulips on a Whim

 


On the spur of the moment, I took myself out to Butchart Gardens yesterday morning. A bit of mizzle covered the car windshield as I drove and I wondered if the rain would continue. It did not, although the sky was heavy all day. Let's walk together through this beautiful site. 


As we walk from the parking lot, through the trellised walkway and into the patio surrounding the café and gift store, you might, as I did, feel the corners of your mouth lifting involuntarily. It's such a happy place with huge pots of tulip adding colour to the patio. 


As we enter the gardens themselves, wave after wave of tulip heads nods a welcome. Stand still for a bit, to simply admire the explosion of colour and texture. Behind the tulip beds blooms rhododendrons and azaleas, and a few late prunus trees. You will feel like you are inside a painting. 


The fountain waves a cheery greeting at all of us behind not-quite-open tulips. 


Behind an open gate blooms bright pink tulips. There are so many wonderful combinations - fuschia tulips planted with white hyacinths, lots of blue or pink or white forget-me-nots underplanted with red, yellow, or pink tulips. Some beds focus on contrast; other beds are more monochrome. 


Delicately scented narcissus still bloom in many beds, interspersing the glowing tulips with paler shades. 


Many of these photos were taken in the Sunken Garden, seen above from a small shelter where we stand admiring the flowing colour below. Just under the center red flower you might notice a pair of black legs. Three employees stood in front of one of the beds, each of them holding a three-ring binder and a variety of flower catalogues. I heard them talking about "not variegated here" and "dahlias". As we passed by, we complimented them on their design work. 


Isn't it beautiful how your eye is drawn further into the garden to the narrowing river of tulips surrounded by shrubs and trees? Along with plenty to admire, there is much to learn here.  


Along with many hues and tints, the tulips display a wide variety of shapes and textures. There are ruffled petals, fringed petals, short round blossoms, tall thin blossoms, and everything in between. With our cool spring, the tulips are lasting a long time, and there are still plenty of tightly closed buds. 


We exit through the Italian Gardens where mass plantings of single colours fill each geometric bed. Our mouths are still curved up, as the beauty of this place stays with us for a long time, filling our minds and hearts.

There was no time for tea this morning, but you can be sure there will be another visit soon.   

29 comments:

  1. Oh the fringed petals!

    All, lovely....

    Thank you for your answer to my question.

    🌸🌷🌹🌸

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tulips beautiful colours.
    We did not have time to go and look for the tulip fields in the Netherlands but we did visit once and it was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much planning must go into that wonderful palette of co;our. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the Tulips ( and other flowers) are lovely but my favourite picture is the one with yellow tulips in a sea of forget-me-nots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for that. Tulips are probably one of my favourite flowers so that post was a real winner. B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for inviting me to join you at the Gardens. I smiled as I slowly scrolled through the photos. Gorgeous beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning garden. We have nothing this elaborate or as far into spring. I would surely be visiting if we did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for taking us along on this very enjoyable visit. Our tulips here have come and gone so it is especially nice to extend the season virtually like this. You are wise to take advantage of that beautiful garden treasure. The designers have done a fantastic job of planning the different colors and textures. Breathtakingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heavenly…the colours are so uplifting! The world needs more such gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful for you to be able to visit Butchart Gardens on a whim! It must refresh your soul to take in all that beauty, Lorrie. Happy Mother’s Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful for you to be able to visit Butchart Gardens on a whim! It must refresh your soul to take in all that beauty, Lorrie. Happy Mother’s Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet you were weak kneed seeing all of these lovely things at close range. What luscious colors! How fortunate you are to be able to visit there. My father's tulip sales rep lived in Holland and would visit us when he came to the states selling next year's bulbs and he had a book showing photographs of the tulip fields. I loved looking at them but even fields of them were not as beautiful as those set in the gardens you visited.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you took that ‘spur of the moment’ visit yo Butchart Gardens and have as the tour. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a feast for they eyes, simply stunning. I am so glad you took us along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a treat to walk through Butchart this time of year, or any time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful display of tulips - I do like the ones with the ruffled or finged petals. Sometimes tulips can look rather regimented, but in Butchart Garden, the way that they have been displayed amongst forget-me-nots and other pretty little delights is far more attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lorrie - there are few things in life that make me happier than a garden, especially one as beautiful as this! I am smiling as I type, and so pleased that I had the opportunity to see this garden through the lens of your camera and via the "ink" in your "pen"!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, gorgeous eye candy! I loved all the photos but especially that with the fountain at the background. Happy Sunday Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How beautiful! When we lived in NC we would go to the Biltmore Estate often. Thier gardens were lovely in the spring. Your photos remind me of them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful post this is, your photographs a joy to see.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a delightful, colorful post! This is one thing I truly regret, that we didn't visit the Butchart Gardens when we were in Victoria many years ago. My husband wasn't interested and my daughter was too young to appreciate. Instead we visited the Bug Zoo which was fascinating. I certainly would have enjoyed the Butchart Gardens as well - your photos are lovely and I love all these seas of tulips. How amazingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful tulips and flowers, Lorrie!

    I'm sad that Covid -19 fears made us cancel a cruise trip a year ago that would have also included a visit to Butchart Gardens during the spring season. I hope I get to visit one day in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A spur-of-the-moment trip to Butchart Gardens sounds like heaven and it was pretty darn close as your pictures prove! What a wonderful day. We've been lucky enough to walk those paths a couple of times but not in the Spring. Thank you for the virtual tour at this wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous photos, the garden fountain is a perfect accent to the pretty flowers. The mixed border speaks spring beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So beautiful Lorrie! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for taking us along with you on this feast of the senses!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tulips don't grow in our corner of the world so these are really a treat for my eyes! I especially love the fringed ones. How beautiful!

    Thank you so much for sharing with us, Lorrie!

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good morning, Lorrie. This post was a delightful treat. Goodness, I don't know how you managed to leave such a glorious place. I love to see flowers planted in a mass of one color. It is always so striking.

    Wishing you lovely spring days. And your comments are now showing on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Maybe this summer we'll finaly head out to Butchart Gardens. We have probably not been there for a decade or two. I am sad that our local Minter Gardens is no more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...