Saturday, December 10, 2022

Enjoying the Days

 



Outside my window I see the lights of the houses below us and a dark sky above. Night falls earlier and earlier these days as the winter solstice approaches. I am thankful for light and warmth, and can't help but think of those who suffer in cold and darkness under the attacks of evil men. I pray for them and admire their courage.

Some of my favourite memories emerge along with the ornaments and decorations pulled from the Christmas boxes. Last night we put up our tree, and for the first time in many years, a child helped hang the sparkly stars and bells. Her parents were at a work party and she spent the night with us. She was surprised at how many of our ornaments were the same as the ones hanging on her tree. So I told her of my tradition of giving an ornament to my children each year, ornaments that they took with them into their grown-up homes. I often bought or made an ornament for ourselves, too.  Those ornaments bring joy to my heart and I remember where each one came from. 



I am smelling the pumpkin soup that I pulled from the freezer for an easy supper this evening. We had friends over for breakfast and cooking one big meal a day is enough for me!

Christmas preparations are coming along at a gentle pace. I feel peaceful and calm, most of the time, and am reveling in these days of quiet. I should clarify that not all moment are gentle and quiet - no indeed - life continues with its frustrations and unexpected happenings. 


Small, creative activities are bringing me a lot of pleasure. Often, those are the things that get scratched from my list because I think I should be doing something different, more useful perhaps. I baked sugar cookie stars a few weeks ago for the grands to decorate some of them. I was inspired by Shayda Campbell to try painting some simple designs with food colouring on them. What fun I had. I stuck with green and painted trees and leaves in various designs. Some are more successful than others. 

I am reading Bess Streeter Aldrich's Journey into Christmas on the recommendation of blogging friend Dewena. The book is a collection of short stories written before I was born - gentle tales of Christmas past. 

Baking is high on my list for this coming week - Christmas favourites from years ago like shortbread, rugelach, and peppermint bars. I have a few new recipes I'd like to try, as well. 

Wishing you a week filled with gentle moments in the midst of busy days, moments that carry you through when things don't go as planned. 



19 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to pictures of the beautiful products of your kitchen!

    GretchenJoanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baking is something that is definitely part of this season, and your painted cookies look delightful. I'm sure there are going to be some eager grandchildren wanting to taste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a peaceful, lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is wonderful your grandaughter has discovered the reach of her family line through the ornament experience. The cookies look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your star cookies look pretty. I think I've baked enough sweets now and will not look at any more recipes lest I give in and try "just one more" recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Light and warmth, ornaments and decorations bring so much pleasure and delight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely post ...
    Your star cookies do look nice.

    I think it's wonderful to have family traditions at Christmastime.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your painted cookies look amazing. How fun to decorate the tree with a grandchild. Keep enjoying the wonder of it all...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lorrie - your photos exude peace and the magical spirit of the season. I am (mostly) staying calm and focused, not allowing the artificial pressures get to me ... right now, the fire is glowing, and the lights on the tree are twinkling. Ah. The joys of Christmas. Our kids have Christmas trees this year, and it warms my heart to see the ornaments that I made by hand on them! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Christmas ornament, I like it very much.
    I still have the sewing machine running :-), a few more baking projects and at the weekend I'll get meat from my farmer and it will be a chef - 4th weekend in Advent... I'm looking forward to it.
    Otherwise snow here with us, maybe it goes on the skis... and I make myself comfortable... I wish you a relaxing week too.
    Warm Advent greetings from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful glass ornaments Lorrie, and gorgeous photos of them. It sounds lovely and calm at your place, and a beautiful Christmas approaches. Your cookies are so pretty, and expertly painted. Enjoy the season.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your calm and gentle spirit, Lorrie! That is the key, I think. Not the absence of troubles or interruptions or busyness, but an inner calm that comes from The Prince of Peace. Your cookies are beautiful! Trimming the tree with your granddaughter must have been very special. Thank you for your encouragement to embrace the calm in the busyness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A gentle pace at this time of the year is a wonderful thing. Your beautiful pictures and descriptions brought peace to me today. The cookies are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bess Streeter Aldrich is a wonderful author. I haven't read the short story collection you mentioned, I'll have to look for it. Her home and museum is on a route that we often take to visit my son and family. It's on my bucket list to stop there some day. Your iced cookies look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that everyone would just simply enjoy these days leading up to Christmas, Lorrie. We're meant to! I'm glad you got Journey Into Christmas, it's a calming book in itself. I hope Karen, above, gets to visit Aldrich's home someday. It made me feel calmer this hectic morning when the phone kept ringing and text notifications sounding to read your post about doing the very things that are part of a wonderful Christmas season. I especially loved hearing your experience of having a granddaughter help trim the Christmas tree, that's priceless! Lovely cookies, I've never tried that and so admire them. Stay calm!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still have very vivid memories of the tree lights that my parents brought out year after year at Christmas, but I do still wonder what happened to them. They were completely unlike any that we see today. They appeared to have been made out of porcelain and each one was different - there was a clown, a santa claus, a lantern, a star, a dancing girl and a sailor boy and many more. I suspect that your grandchildren will also have lovely memories of the decorations on your tree which will remain with them for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely Christmas ornament tradition. And how special to have that certain young person recognize that your house and her house had many of the same ornaments. Beautiful. Lovely photos, Lorrie. Everything feels so cozy and inviting. Your pumpkin soup sounds perfect for a cold winter supper.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cookies are almost too pretty to eat!

    I also give my godson a Christmas ornament each year. I'm not crafty, but have also attempted to make my own ornaments, like my bejeweled teapot ornaments. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such pretty cookies. Thank you for sharing that link. I may want to try this with one of our granddaughters, who is very keen to bake.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...