Friday, December 23, 2022

Ducks in a Row

 


Our world is still white, with rain to come tonight, turning all into a slushy mess. Walking by the pond these ducks in a row perched above the snow that was too deep for waddling. 

Here at home, I've got my ducks in a row - we are celebrating on the 24th this year as we alternate years with in-laws. Presents are wrapped, and all that remains is to do a little cleaning this morning, and some cooking this afternoon. 


We've had very cold temperatures for a couple of days, nothing like the cold further east, but highly unusual. The American Robins generally go south for the winter so I was surprised to see a fluffed-up female in a hawthorn tree. 


I finished up some last minute sewing - neck pillow for all the grands, made from the remnants of Christmas pajamas over the years. When I tried one out, I found it very comfortable and think that they would be good gifts for adults, as well. But not this year. 


I'm nibbling on a small bowl of snack mix as I write this post. It's not "nuts 'n bolts" because there are no bolts - pretzels. I find that I always pick out the pretzels first and eat them right away as I don't enjoy them. So I'm calling this mix "nuts 'n washers". It's packaged into jars to send home with everyone tomorrow. 


Merry Christmas blessings of love, joy, peace, and hope for all, and wishes for days of mingled quiet and delight, whether with family and friends, or alone. 


18 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas!! Your photos are gorgeous, and the, nuts n' washers look delicious! Your grands will love the neck pillows...made with love my grandma. Have a wonderful day! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:08 AM

    Just found your blog and really enjoy your photos and your view of the world via Victoria. I live up the island in Campbell River. Well done and I hope you continue in 2023. Blessings for you and your family in the coming year..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those neck pillows and what a great way to use the scraps from years gone by! A very Merry Slushy Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lorrie, and may your Christmas be everything you hope for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The neck pillows are such a good idea!! So are the "washers and nuts". I'm making another batch for a son who loves them and who doesn't want any other gift. Easy enough to do.
    The freezing rain has reached us here. Not at all pleasant outside but we're hopeful that by the 25th streets will be cleared.
    Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I have remembered to write my comment elsewhere so I can paste it in.
    So this is Christmas Eve for you. So civilized to share with the in-laws. Christmas can
    be whenever we need it to be.

    My shopping is not even done. The storm that raged across the continent got us today. I briefly considered going out in it, but thought better of it after visiting the garage. It was all rain and howling wind and took off all our snow. I did make a point of breathing in the 50°F air this afternoon. So odd. Tomorrow will be back to the usual temps in the 20s.

    The neck pillows for the grands will be perfect for those car rides that aren't so comfortable for kids.

    Oh I do hope that my daughter-in-law makes some Chex mix. I love that stuff, but do not make it.

    Have a relaxing, happy time with your darlings tomorrow. Take some pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ducks are in shock.

    Blessings to you this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy being surrounded by your lovely family, and have a very happy Christmas. Lovely photo of the ducks - they actually look very contented and not at all perturbed by the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Striking photo of the ducks in a row! Merry Christmas to you, Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful photo of the ducks, who look quite unconcerned. Your family will love the delicious snack jars. Enjoy a beautiful Christmas celebration full of merry joy and laughter, love and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best wishes for a very happy and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Love, Titti

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing you a very happy Christmas with all your family. B x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:18 PM

    Your photographs are so lovely.
    Stay safe and warm and have a very Merry Christmas.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pillows are great, especially because they were made from things that were no longer used... I am also anxious to do this - make new from old :-))) I like.
    Many greetings to you. I wish you a Merry Christmas from the bottom of my heart.
    Viola

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you are staying warm and dry. What lovely gifts of the nuts in jars and the pillow for the neck. It seems like the robins are staying around more in the winter here more recently also. Hoping they don't freeze their toes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The ducks are so cute but must be cold. I love your snow pictures. The gifts you made are perfect I am sure the children will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Miriam has made those neck pillows for years and we use them all the time, especially in the car. On a long road trip she'll give me a break from driving for twenty minutes and they are perfect for a quick nap.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...