Sunday, October 04, 2026

Blogtober 4: Over the Mountains and Back Again

 



When a short trip we wanted to take conflicted with the start of Blogtober, where I, along with Barbara plan to blog every day of the month, I decided to schedule a few posts ahead of time. Those were Days 1, 2, and 3. We arrived home yesterday afternoon.

Our trip began with a flight over the Rockies to Calgary. It was a very early morning flight and I watched the sunrise as we flew east. There is fresh snow in parts of the mountains we flew over, but the lakes are not yet frozen nor covered with ice. I was fascinated by the number of lakes I saw nestled among the mountain peaks - some small and some large. Canada really does have a lot of fresh water. 

We were met at the airport and were soon on our way, driving our new-to-us vehicle that we'd purchased unseen. Tim had done a lot of research and knew exactly what he wanted and had made certain that all was as it should be. He's very thorough. We needed a new vehicle for towing our camping trailer as our old one (a 2009), is beginning to show its age. 

And so we began our trek homewards, a 14 hour drive according to our map program. However, we took the opportunity to visit Tim's siblings and also to stop in Jasper for one night. 

So let me take you along the road, beginning with the flat prairies seen above, where derelict barns are sometimes all that remains of old homesteads. 



After spending the night at Tim's sister's home in Red Deer, and enjoying dinner with her and her husband, and Tim's brother and SIL, we set out westward. The sky was blue, and the temperature -1 Celsius, crisp and clear. It didn't take long before we were in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Such expansive scenery that takes my breath away every time I see it.


Autumn colour is beginning. In the west, we don't have the brilliant red maples of the east, but the warm golds are achingly beautiful against the blue skies. 


The highway is lined with coniferous and deciduous trees, mingling dark green and those autumn hues. There wasn't much traffic on the road and our new truck, a Ford F-150, was very comfortable. I loved watching the mountains get closer and closer, and leaves fall from the trees in small flurries.


And then the first snow appears, glistening white. 


There are a couple of different routes through the mountains, but my favourite is the Icefields Parkway that links Lake Louise with Jasper. Soaring mountain peaks, glacial lakes, glaciers, and deep valleys characterize the landscape. 

There are six major glaciers fed by the Columbia Icefield, which span 352 square kilometres. Water from the Icefield feeds into the Atlantic Ocean via the North Saskatchewan River flowing into Hudson Bay; the Pacific Ocean via the Fraser and Columbia Rivers, and into the Arctic Ocean via the Athabasca River flowing into the Mackenzie River. Above is the Athabasca Glacier that supplies water for the river of the same name. 

I remember when the glacier came almost to the roadside. It has receded dramatically even within my lifetime, and is now shrinking by about 5 metres (16 feet) per year. There are many smaller glaciers in the Rockies, as well, and all of them are receding (save one). 


After spending the night in Jasper, we set off for home, stopping at Rearguard Falls enroute. The glacier minerals make the water such a beautiful colour. These falls mark the upper limit of the 800 mile migration of salmon from the Pacific Ocean. Only a few salmon make it this far. The spawning season is over in the north and we didn't see any salmon. 


I love the golden leaves against the green water. 


There is a short walk to the falls, and a viewing platform that brings the falls very close. I can imagine that in the spring the volume of water would cause great clouds of spray to thoroughly soak anyone who ventures here. 


We didn't rush this trip and spent a second night in the town of Merritt on the interior plain, a dry landscape of rolling hills, few trees, and great ranchland. 

Then upwards again to cross the coastal mountains through deep narrow valleys where the mountains on one side cast shadows across to the other. 


The scale is astounding. I always feel privileged to see such sights along the way. Morning cloud hung in the valley, but soon burned off as the sun rose higher. 


We stopped and enjoyed lunch with my parents before driving to the ferry. I do love the mountains, but the sea has its own beauty, as well. A calm 90 minute sailing followed by a short drive and we were soon home, thankful for safety and beauty along the way. 

Both of us slept very well in our own bed, and we've had a more normal day today, with plenty of relaxation. We're ready for a new week!

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish that I could occupy a seat in your car, because this little adventure was filled with beautiful sites to see. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie. I love driving through the mountains. There is always so much to see.

      Delete
  2. Hello Lorrie, all your posts are beautiful and interesting but this is one of the most gorgeous ones.
    Such handsome landscapes and lovely autumn colours! I googled the model of your new car. It looks strong and comfortable. You have been able to put together an important purchase, having a beautiful trip and meeting family members.
    Happy new week and happy Blogtober!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara. We have a smaller car that I use most of the time. My husband drives the larger vehicle when needed, and of course for pulling our camping trailer. This new-to-us vehicle did well on the long mountain hills. It was very good to spend time with family, too.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I forgot, I tried running my post through Google Translate for both English and French, and your name was always correct. I can't explain the Adrien thing.
      Have a nice day!

      Delete
  3. What a great way to get a new vehicle. I remember the parkway and Athabaskan glacier from over 20 years ago. The scenery is stunning and I love the misty views. It sounds like you had a perfect few days away. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that scenery is breath-taking. You would probably notice how much the glacier has receded if you visited it today.

      Delete
  4. What a trip! Such a beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never tire of the scenery while driving through the mountains.

      Delete
  5. Stunning sights to see along that drive! I have not been on the roads west of Jasper. I keep saying I will go there one day, maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always used to take the #1 through Golden, but since we visit family in Red Deer, the distance is about the same if we go through the Icefields and Jasper. We've found that the roads are not as busy coming through Tete Jaune Cache and Clearwater, and there's stunning scenery there, too. We live in an amazingly beautiful part of our great country.

      Delete
  6. What a trip. What kind of car did you purchase? Did I miss that somehow?
    I have found memories of flying to Calgary with Dan and girls in 1999. Emily had graduated from high school. We visited the Columbia Ice Fields and Banff then headed south to Glacier National Park before heading back to Calgary. We've also done the drive from Seattle to Jasper National Park then west to the coast and taking the inland cruise to your island. Beautiful country you live in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What stunning country!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a wonderful -- and gorgeous getaway. I've never been to glacier country!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Blogtober 5: Close to Home

  My husband has breakfast with a group of friends on Monday mornings and leaves the house early. I tend to get up with him and go for a wal...