Thursday, October 08, 2026

Blogtober 8: Home Comforts

 



Yesterday morning I opened the door at 7 am to go for a walk, and almost tripped over a parcel lying on the mat. What a delight to receive Miranda Mills' latest book - The Cozy Commonplace Book. I have barely cracked the cover and am looking forward to sitting down with a cup of tea and reading the book. 

Do you keep a Commonplace Book? I have one, and it's very disorganized. I also collect quotations in my journals. That works to a certain degree, but I find that I have to flip many pages sometimes to find the quote I want. Perhaps collecting them by seasons would be better. I'd love to know your system, if you have one. 


Thanksgiving is this weekend, a relaxed, casual holiday. Monday is the official day, but many people eat their turkey dinner on Sunday and then go for needed walks or take naps on Monday. I made cranberry sauce, enough for sending home with the children and for using with roast chicken throughout the year. Fresh cranberries only appear between now and Christmas. 


I also baked dinner rolls today, with oats and sunflower seeds. These are pre-baked and are in the freezer until Sunday morning when I'll take them out and bake them another 10 minutes or so. That way they taste fresh, but I'm not fussing at the last minute. I'm a great believer in doing things ahead. 

Edited to add: Recipe found here. 


A corner of the living room - the cream-coloured chair is where I sit to read. We've rearranged the furniture a bit, and I bought new cushions and lamps. The yellow cushions (there are two) are covered with new tea towels that I stitched into envelope style covers. The old lamps have been knocked over by grandchildren over the years and one was very crooked. 


On Thursday afternoons I meet the school bus and bring Iris and Cora to our house. Today I had a little project for them - adding stickers and names for place cards for Thanksgiving dinner. They worked together very happily and all the names were spelled correctly. They copied them from a list I'd made. Afterwards, we played a couple of games of Go Fish. 


How beautiful the afternoons are, bathed in golden sunshine. I noticed the sun shining on the patio mid-afternoon and thought that I would make a cup of tea and sit and enjoy it for a bit. Well, I never got there, but if tomorrow is equally as sunny, I'm going to make a point to soak in the light and warmth - I might need a light jacket, but it will still be pleasant. 

Tim's at a Beekeeper's meeting this evening, so the house is quiet. I've made a cup of herbal tea (Bengal Spice) and will be continuing with the novel I'm reading. 


12 comments:

  1. I don’t keep a common place book but that sounds like a lovely idea. As does using tea towels to make cushion covers. Inspired. I’m sure your grandchildren loved making those place cards. I hope. you have a lovely family meal. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a lot of yellow in my house, but I wanted just a bit this year and couldn't find what I liked for small cushion covers, hence the tea towels!

      Delete
  2. Judging by the number of place cards you're going to have a full table for thanksgiving. They children made a very good job of them.
    The cosy commonplace book looks interesting. I don't have a system for mine; but am trying to think of one. When I read an old one it is always full of memories and surprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be 13, maybe 14 - a lovely group of beloved faces around the table. It will be lively!

      Delete
  3. I don't know the Cozy Commonplace Book but I love the idea. I have journals scattered here and there and, sadly, no real organization in them. I have to flip around through this and that to find what I am looking for. I really should do something about that! Love the project for the grandkids and Happy Thanksgiving that you are preparing for now. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana. I have to flip around my journals, too, to find things I want.

      Delete
  4. I love that the kids made place cards -- and they're really cute! And boy, your culinary talents are to be admired. I love cranberries and cranberry sauce. This year, going low carb, I might be less able to enjoy but I'll still make some. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls had a great time and were very careful with their printing - they are in Grades One and Two.

      Delete
  5. Those rolls look scrumptious. Can you put the recipe on your other blog, please? Or let me know if you have it there already.
    I started thinking about Thanksgiving though ours is not for another 6 weeks or so. Don't expect youngest daughter to make the trip but oldest daughter is very close by and I invited a niece and her family who live near Boston. She said yes today and wanted to know what to make! I told her we'd talk as the date gets closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've put the recipe on my other blog, and there's a link to it up in this post.

      Delete
  6. I have 4 fat Commonplace books that I've filled through the years. They were fun to do.
    Your rolls look good and what a great idea to underbake them and give them 10 minutes to finish baking when you need them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you a happy Thanksgiving. I wish I had our two grandsons close to us to do crafts with them.
    I like your new arrangements in your room.it’s nice to change things in the house before winter I am enjoying to sit by the fire to read a book with my dog.
    I also like cooking during Autumn I will try to make jam.
    I wish you a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Blogtober 8: Home Comforts

  Yesterday morning I opened the door at 7 am to go for a walk, and almost tripped over a parcel lying on the mat. What a delight to receive...