Monday, December 10, 2007

Use It Up

 

I have a quantity of white felt - the acrylic kind, not the lovely wool felt. I'm making a concerted effort to use up what I have instead of rushing out to purchase something new all the time. Lots and lots of fabric fill shelves in my office/studio closet. Earlier in the fall I was also looking for something to do in the evenings while sitting on the couch recovering from teaching Grade 8 French.

I came up with these embroidered hearts - hearts with a secret. On the back they have a small pocket in which to tuck in a gift card or simply a tag to say "This is for you." I'm planning on using them as package tie-ons for my Christmas presents.

This is my first tutorial and I had a lot of fun doing it.

 

Cut out two hearts from felt. Mine are 4 1/2 inches wide and 5 inches tall. Then cut a third piece using the bottom of the heart as a pattern. Mine is 3 inches tall. This will form the pocket on the back of the heart.

 

Embroider a design on the front. Although I show a finished heart, do not embroider the edges just yet. I did a variety of things - swirls for which I used a pattern, and also free hand flowers and snowflake/stars. You could add buttons as well.

 

Using two threads of red embroidery floss, make a running stitch along the top of the pocket piece.


Sandwich all three pieces together, the embroidered front, the plain back, and the pocket piece. Stitch around the heart using a blanket stitch. Stop before going all the way around.

Add some stuffing to plump it up and voila, an easy and unique package adornment.
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

  1. Lorrie, these little hearts are beautiful. I love the red embroidery on the white felt. I can do a blanket stitch and embroider...so this is something I can make too!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Lorrie, how creative. What lucky gift recipients you will have this Christmas! Those hearts are very special.

    Blessings,
    Christi
    Charm & Grace Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! The colors of the red on white are a perfect combination! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are seriously SO CUTE! I have a couple of friends who love to do redwork embroidery...I must show these to them. Thanks for the tutorial.
    M.L. @the house of whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll make some of those hearts very soon! They're very pretty. I bet they'd look pretty as Christmas ornaments too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous! I think I will put a small pin on the back so they can be used as a lapel pin! I'm SO into brights and black...maybe I will try my hand at a dark one with bright stitching. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so cute. I can do that! thanks for the tip

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been trying to use up what I have, also. This is a great idea!
    Visiting via several links to your mobile, which is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh these are cute! And I have a ton of felt scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice idea, all your hearts are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love red work, so this looks like a fun project that won't take up too much time. The red color is great for Valentine's packages too. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the hearts. I made some many years ago and attached a ribbon, We have an old house with key holes on all the doors, so I hung them from door handles to cover the key holes. We had kids at the time.
    I think I will make some more for Christmas ornaments white with blue would be pretty and especially if one could find a metalic thread.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had this post open all day looking at your pretty hearts! I think it would be fun to make some...I just need to get busy! ♥♥♥ Thanks for the directions! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these felt hearts with gift pockets- thanks for sharing!
    I plan to get busy and make some- hope they will turn out as pretty as yours :)
    May I subscribe to your blog by email please?
    mgemmill@xtra.co.nz
    Mary, New Zealand, pleased to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so pretty! Thank you for the tutorial. I"ll use these and enjoy them for gifts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...