Doors hold fascination. Secrets of all kinds linger behind doors - unknown worlds to be explored. Britt has a beautiful post on doorways. Here are a few of my own.
In Avignon, I looked down from a park and saw this tower and doorway. The only direction to go is down, curving around the stairs that follow the tower construction. Round and round, down and down.
A doorway for escape. But Marie Antoinette did not escape for long. This door leads from her bedroom in Versailles and it is through here that she fled from the angry crowd. I like the fact that the door still holds signs of the hundreds or thousands of hands that touched it.
"Keep out," says this iron grill in Sevilla, Spain. But at the same time it tantalizes with glimpses of the cool garden and fountain beyond. A paradox. Inviting and detracting all at once.
Moorish architecture found in Sevilla contains beautiful arches and intricate detail.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Friday: A Simple Woman's Daybook
September is dressing herself in a show of dahlias and splendid marigolds and starry zinnias. Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. After weeks and...
-
"So where did your adventure take you, Bilbo?" "There and back again." J. R. R. Tolkien Our adventure was much shorter t...
-
It's Friday evening and it's good to relax after a busy day. I did laundry, a little gardening, and preparations for a short trip ...
-
I slipped out of the house a bit earlier this morning just as the sun in the east reflected pink light on the clouds in the west. It was a...

A lovely post, I'm always fascinated by architecture. And doorways and gates are intriguing to me.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed your doors. Initially I almost thought that the first one was from the great wall of China!
ReplyDelete