Thursday, December 18, 2008

December Pleasures


These December days seem to rush by. Baking, shopping, decorating, crafting - all these good things can squeeze out the best things. This year I've been consciously trying to concentrate on the smaller moments, the everyday sweetness that crowds my life. Here's a list of what I'm enjoying right now.

Check out Melissa's post at the Inspired Room for 20 Little Things she treasures at this time of year - and Mr. Linky for a host of other sites to explore.

1. SNOW! I love the way it brightens up our landscape, usually dark green at this time of year. Snow fell last Saturday night and more yesterday.

2. Filling the freezer with cookies and goodies. I've got about 10 kinds of cookies and 4 savoury treats tucked away. I love filling a plate with an assortment when company drops by or just for my husband to enjoy. (and me!)

3. Christmas music - TransSiberian Orchestra's Lost Christmas is a current favourite. Josh Groban's Noel. Also some older CDs - Twila Paris, Michael Card, Neil Diamond.

4. Warming cups of tea and hot chocolate shared with my family.

5. The dance of flames in the fireplace.

6. Soup for supper! Satisfying and simple.

7. Anticipation of family get togethers.

8. Time spent at my sewing machine or in the living room stitching.

9. Wrapping gifts for the people I love - anticipating their pleasure when the gifts are opened.

10. The soft lights of the Christmas tree.

11. Driving home from an evening out and seeing festive light displays.

12. Candlelight - on my kitchen windowsill, on the dinner table, in the living room. Just lighting one candle makes me feel cozy.

13. Walking outside on a blustery day and coming in to a warm house.

14. Saying "Merry Christmas" to store clerks and winning a smile.

15. My Advent readings, which help me focus on God's wonderful gift of Christmas, his son Jesus.



Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. Hi Lorrie,
    Loved your post - it puts it all in perspective doesn't it? We all get so busy this time of year and forget to stop and "be in the moment of it all" Thank you for reminding us all of what is important. To just enjoy the process because it is so fleeting!
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment - I appreciate it so much.
    Blessings to you
    Kymber

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all need to stop and cherish the little things. This year I have made and effort to be kind to people while I am out running errands. People usually look so surprised when you just smile or say something nice. I hope they remember that little gesture and that it made their day a little better.
    Peggy
    http://pegslifeinthebuttonjar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are such kindred spirits Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lowe all that you told and olso your writing so beautifuly those things .
    For me this fall is been so good . I started blogings an met here so meny and so nice peoples . THANKS .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lorrie, waht a wonderful list! I am a Twila and Michael Card fan. Such classic Christmas music with "meat" from the Word! I am a huge candle person, too. It just instantly adds warmth and coziness to any room. As for the snow, I wouldn't know... but would really love to. It's in the mid 70's here. YUCK! But by Monday it's supposed to go back down into the 20's. Crazy, huh?

    Christmas blessings to you and your family,
    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your beautiful list. I plan to do this on Christmas Eve.

    Thanks for visiting my blog - come again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lorrie, I really enjoyed your list. It's the smallest things that are the dearest. Thank you for stopping by my blog. We do have a few things in common! Merry Christmas. ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many of your favorites are mine as well. My mom is visiting and I am so enjoying the season.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...