Thursday, December 18, 2008
These December days seem to rush by. Baking, shopping, decorating, crafting - all these good things can squeeze out the best things. This year I've been consciously trying to concentrate on the smaller moments, the everyday sweetness that crowds my life. Here's a list of what I'm enjoying right now.
Check out Melissa's post at the Inspired Room for 20 Little Things she treasures at this time of year - and Mr. Linky for a host of other sites to explore.
1. SNOW! I love the way it brightens up our landscape, usually dark green at this time of year. Snow fell last Saturday night and more yesterday.
2. Filling the freezer with cookies and goodies. I've got about 10 kinds of cookies and 4 savoury treats tucked away. I love filling a plate with an assortment when company drops by or just for my husband to enjoy. (and me!)
3. Christmas music - TransSiberian Orchestra's Lost Christmas is a current favourite. Josh Groban's Noel. Also some older CDs - Twila Paris, Michael Card, Neil Diamond.
4. Warming cups of tea and hot chocolate shared with my family.
5. The dance of flames in the fireplace.
6. Soup for supper! Satisfying and simple.
7. Anticipation of family get togethers.
8. Time spent at my sewing machine or in the living room stitching.
9. Wrapping gifts for the people I love - anticipating their pleasure when the gifts are opened.
10. The soft lights of the Christmas tree.
11. Driving home from an evening out and seeing festive light displays.
12. Candlelight - on my kitchen windowsill, on the dinner table, in the living room. Just lighting one candle makes me feel cozy.
13. Walking outside on a blustery day and coming in to a warm house.
14. Saying "Merry Christmas" to store clerks and winning a smile.
15. My Advent readings, which help me focus on God's wonderful gift of Christmas, his son Jesus.
Hello, Summer. It's almost 8 pm on a late June evening. The sun slants warm and golden along the Sooke Hills visible from our patio. ...
1 . Goodbye hedge. Our back garden is hedged in on two sides with very tall cedars providing a green wall seen in the blurred background o...
Presented with a day off work (Canada Day), Tim suggested we invite some friends for dinner. Two quick phone calls and everything was set....
Sunny days in February are pure joy. There is always the possibility, more likely than not, that winter will blow at least one more blast ...