Thursday, December 18, 2008
These December days seem to rush by. Baking, shopping, decorating, crafting - all these good things can squeeze out the best things. This year I've been consciously trying to concentrate on the smaller moments, the everyday sweetness that crowds my life. Here's a list of what I'm enjoying right now.
Check out Melissa's post at the Inspired Room for 20 Little Things she treasures at this time of year - and Mr. Linky for a host of other sites to explore.
1. SNOW! I love the way it brightens up our landscape, usually dark green at this time of year. Snow fell last Saturday night and more yesterday.
2. Filling the freezer with cookies and goodies. I've got about 10 kinds of cookies and 4 savoury treats tucked away. I love filling a plate with an assortment when company drops by or just for my husband to enjoy. (and me!)
3. Christmas music - TransSiberian Orchestra's Lost Christmas is a current favourite. Josh Groban's Noel. Also some older CDs - Twila Paris, Michael Card, Neil Diamond.
4. Warming cups of tea and hot chocolate shared with my family.
5. The dance of flames in the fireplace.
6. Soup for supper! Satisfying and simple.
7. Anticipation of family get togethers.
8. Time spent at my sewing machine or in the living room stitching.
9. Wrapping gifts for the people I love - anticipating their pleasure when the gifts are opened.
10. The soft lights of the Christmas tree.
11. Driving home from an evening out and seeing festive light displays.
12. Candlelight - on my kitchen windowsill, on the dinner table, in the living room. Just lighting one candle makes me feel cozy.
13. Walking outside on a blustery day and coming in to a warm house.
14. Saying "Merry Christmas" to store clerks and winning a smile.
15. My Advent readings, which help me focus on God's wonderful gift of Christmas, his son Jesus.
Choosing a favourite season is a toss-up between summer and autumn. As August ends and September begins, my thoughts drift towards cozy ev...
Late Sunday afternoon Tim and I walked down Oak Bay Avenue, a part of town that has old-world charm and lots of Christmas lights. This is ...
Last Thursday was my last day of classes and Friday I cleaned out my desk. There was a socially distanced morning tea where my colleagues ...
This morning I looked out of my bedroom window at 6:30 am to see the fat gold full moon shining over the Sooke Hills. Each day is a bit lo...