Thursday, February 10, 2022

An Indoor Garden and Mental Dawdling

 

 
Little by little the light grows. I walked into the living room one morning this week and what I saw had me reaching for my camera. I can feel my spirits lifting as the light increases. We have enjoyed above seasonal temperatures and days without rain. Winter could have a last hurrah, but for now, I'm enjoying the bright days. 


I want to surround myself with green and growing things, although I need to be patient for gardening season is not quite here. Tim pruned the blueberry bushes last weekend, and I brought some of them indoors, along with sword fern, cotoneaster, fluffy weeds, and what I think is pittosporum or mock orange. 


A pot of "Pleasure" tulips found their way home from the grocery store and are beginning to reveal their pretty pink, white and yellow blooms. 

I'm reading Flower Diary, by poet Molly Peacock - a biography of artist Mary Hiester Reid. Mary and Molly's stories are woven throughout the book. Each chapter begins with one of Mary's paintings, and her story is revealed through interpreting the painting. It's interesting and lyrical. On page 102, Molly talks about the long process of creativity, where ideas can simmer in the background for years before bursting forth. She writes, 

"Mental dawdling is fostered by waiting. Enforced stillness leads a person to attend more closely to the senses: sniffing the metal smell of petrichor before the rain, then hearing the ping of raindrops on a windowsill. Close attention, being present in the present, paradoxically allows the past to bubble up." 

My attention was caught by "mental dawdling". Dawdling is often used in a negative sense - "don't dawdle" - but taking time to allow one's thoughts to mature and ripen before surfacing into consciousness is not a bad thing at all in this day of spewing out unformed thoughts and opinions to all and sundry. A little mental dawdling can be a good thing. 


A little indoor garden on the table in the front hall makes me smile when I pass through. Indoor gardens, dawdling, - are you doing any of these things these days?

edited to add: I've had to enable comment moderation for all comments due to increasing spam. 



31 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arent we getting some strange comments lately?
    I love mental dawdling, such a useful term, and so easy to fall into. My dawdling is usually gazing out of a window, enjoying snowdrops and vaguely planning what to do this year. Your greenery is lovely and just gives the feeling of freshness which we all need after this Winter. (Fluffy weeds, so descriptive!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Being present in the present…allows the past to bubble up.” So true and beautifully put. The strength of the sun and the lengthening days keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think mental dawdling is a great thing! Your tulips are so pretty, I need to go buy some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely term, "mental dawdling". I am taking my time to ponder/mental dawdling over recent events and putting life into perspective. Love the indoor garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always up for a little mental dawdling. The brain seems to relish those down times, ideas rise unbidden and swirl around.

    I bought bunches of tulips yesterday when I was out. What a treat to set them on the dining table - we're having friends in for lunch today. Your tulips are looking quite lovely.

    The sun rose this morning before 8 am. What a treat! Like you, I feel my spirits lifting to see the light increasing.

    Happy weekend, Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your scene in your first photo is striking! You have captured it well and it draws me it.

    I am intrigued by the term "mental dawdling." I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lorrie, your tulips are lovely. I promised myself that I would sort my books this winter, but that hasn't happened. I suppose I am 'dawdling' about it. Just like I did about putting Christmas away. However, that has now been done so maybe there is hope for my books. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those touches of green indoors sure help to shorten the winter months. A small pot of miniature roses found their way into my shopping cart and into my home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about the spam, but I have come to the conclusion, over many, many years of blogging, that Comment Moderation is a constant necessity.

    Lovely post. Very lovely...

    😊Blogs are little 1st Amendment machines😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I got that whole comment, to post!!!!!

    -happy-

    😊Blogs are little 1st Amendment machines😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how you captured the light in the photos! I hope for some dawdling tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Tulips. Beautiful weather we're having too! I did some dawdling on the enclosed porch today where it was a balmy 18*.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tulips are so pretty, Lorrie.

    I agree - a little mental dawdling can be a good thing.

    Happy weekending!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos, green again, I hope is an early spring. Mental dawdling is a much better term than vegging out. From now on, mental dawdling it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I 1ove your flowers. I am trying to grow a sunf1ower indoors for fun. So far it has sprouted and has its second set of 1eaves. It is p1anted in a p1astic pop bott1e. It brings me joy t watch it grow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The light catching your lovely collection of candlesticks is very attractive.
    I have had comments moderation switched on for two months now due to spam, and intend to leave it on permanently.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You were fortunate to capture that first picture when you did as light can change so suddenly. An example of when not to dawdle! But the mental kind? I love that idea. Wouldn't Facebook, etc. be a kinder place with more mental dawdling? I guess this is why I have so very many post it notes. I read a book and write a sentence or two, keep a pad and pen by my bedside, have them handy while watching a movie and then eventually they all get sorted and I stew over the ones that fit my life. The world really is so full of inspiration. I hope your gardening weather comes soon for you, Lorrie. Little green shoots of bulbs are popping up all over our front yard in Tennessee even though it's been so cold at night that we leave our faucets dripping. But I am babying my houseplants carefully as they do add so much joy inside. I think RH is still not quite ready for gardening tasks to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your tulips look a lot like mine Lorrie, and if so be prepared, they get huge! Mine are now two weeks old and very tall with gigantic fully open flowers. A few more days and I may have to say thanks for brightening up the dining room for so long, they have been such fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Returning to the light and colors of springtime is definitely dancing in my head. What a happy post to encourage my thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your indoor garden! I think one of the first things that will go into my grocery cart this week is a bunch of tulips. I can relate to mental dawdling. Ideas simmering before they find their way onto a page. It feels like wasting time, doesn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your indoor garden! I think that one of the first items to go into my grocery cart this week will be a bunch of tulips! I think I’ve been doing some mental dawdling. Sometimes it takes a while to get your thoughts together. Thank you for putting it in a good light.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your tulips are lovely, and such a nice colour.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous11:23 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...