Thursday, March 03, 2022

From My Mazy Mind on Friday (or Thursday Night)

 


It's been difficult to concentrate this week. Yet daily life continues. There are lessons to prepare, classes to teach, meals to make and eat, along with all the ordinary tasks of everyday life. 

One morning, while walking, I heard a choked honk above me. It didn't sound like Canada Geese, and I looked up to see a straggly skein of Trumpeter Swans fly over me. Two led, seven followed in a V, and one lagged behind. Long necks stretched forward as their white wings beat against a soft grey sky. I didn't have a camera, but it's a sight that has stayed with me this week, reminding me of the beauty in this world.


Then there is this naturalized lawn I walk by, awash with purple crocuses, dark pink cyclamen, and just a few blue scilla flowers beginning to open. 


I walked around the bog with a friend on another grey morning. Muted tones of grey and brown. 

I found my way to a blog - Transactions with Beauty, written by Shawna Lemay. Brenda of It's a Beautiful Life has mentioned her writing several times. I poked around on Shawna's site, reading here and there. I copied some words down into my journal:

"Do your own work first." (Molly Spencer)

"Take the time to write. You can do your life's work in a half-hour a day." (Robert Hass)


I am working on a writing project that has been seriously stalled for several months. For the past two weeks, I've taken their advice, and first thing in the morning, after Tim leaves for work, I set the timer for 30 minutes and write. I do it before my lesson prep - taking to heart Molly's advice to do my own work first. 

That 30 minutes could be applied to whatever it is I'm procrastinating - a sewing project, cleaning out a closet, gardening, or ???


I was out admiring the burgeoning growth in the garden and noticed the juxtaposition of the blue grape hyacinths and the yellow tete-a-tete daffodils, and I was reminded, once again, of Ukraine and her people. They are never far from my mind. 

I read a poem this week by Ann Weems, a Presbyterian poet who died in 2016. Her poem "I No Longer Pray for Peace" seems very apt for today. I'm quoting just a few lines - it's available on multiple sites, if you do a search using the title. 

"On the edge of war, one foot already in,
I no longer pray for peace:
I pray for miracles.
I pray that stone hearts will turn 
to tenderness,
and evil intentions will turn
to mercifulness,
and all the soldiers already deployed
will be snatched out of harm's way,
and the whole world will be 
astounded onto its knees.


26 comments:

  1. A perfect poem for these troubled times, thank you Lorrie. I too see yellow and blue and think of the Ukraine. Today it was at a fabric store where there was a sunflower print on a blue background, and I suggested the store owner might put it at the front because I think other people would have the same reaction. How absolutely beautiful to see the trumpeter swans overhead, something I have never seen. I do like to see the Canada geese in formation, even if my daughter dislikes them. The 30 minute challenge is a good one; worth trying again. I have used it to finish projects sometimes. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How apt that beautiful poem is.
    We need to take every little joy, the daffodils, crocus, magnolia and hug it to ourselves as the world seems to get darker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots to mull on in this post. Thank you. Have a good weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it really just over a week ago that our main concerns centre around Covid-19 and its aftermath? So many of us are now feeling totally helpless in the face of what the Ukraine and her people are now facing each day from their very dangerous and erratic neighbour - Putin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that natural lawn. The words of that poem are exactly how I am feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weem's words are spot on. Thank you. I will check out her poetry.
    Setting a timer! That is such a procrastination breaker!
    There isn't much worse for a muse than to be restricted. Obstinate to the end, my muse will surely push me to write after the timer bell rings. :)

    Your lawn looks spring magical

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right about that poem. So appropriate. We need a miracle. Meanwhile, we take comfort in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We certainly need to notice the Beauty in Nature, especially at such horrible times. Lovely... 🌼

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too have been finding treasure in the garden, round here Spring is slowly but surely on its way.

    I still pray for peace, without much hope though.
    I also pray that evil will be punished, equally without much hope.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully, written, Lorrie. I will look at the sites you recommend.

    The Ukraine is dear to my heart as my maternal grandparents both immigrated from that country. I often wondered if their relatives who remained behind (who we never knew) survived WWI and WWII? The country's history has been plagued with sorrow. Ukraine does need a miracle and I continue to pray. It does make the beauty of nature and all the wonderful normalcy of an ordinary day I experience all the more precious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like that first picture. There's such beauty in the bare winter trees.
    Our swans have left Mill Lake. I'm happy they stayed for those weeks. We loved seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lorrie, I'm so glad you were given the beautiful sight of the swans flying overhead. I believe these things are a gift from above at a time when our heart most needs it. The poem made me remember a favorite Sunday school teacher that RH and I once had. He was a history lover and one Sunday spent the whole time talking about how God had used the weather to turn the tides of war throughout history. We must pray for miracles for Ukraine.

    Thank you for sharing with us the blog you found through Brenda's blog. Your points are so helpful. It is so easy to think we have too much to do to take time for our heart's work.

    As always, your photographs are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos show a world of beauty, even as we think of the pain of war.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That poem is so appropriate right now. I am holding the Ukrainian people in my heart and prayers. What a good idea to do the 30 minutes first. I sometimes get so lost in other things and then don't get done those little things I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've shared the poem with friends, it moved me to tears. It tells me to pray hard and not only to pray hard but to give hard and be willing to accept hard outcomes. Our political leaders warning us we will feel some effects from the sanctions makes me uncomfortable, whatever our hardships they are nothing in comparison to those currently endured by the Ukrainian people. I think we can take it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad I wandered over to your blog this morning.
    Beautiful photos and an encouraging poem have refreshed my soul. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's been difficult to center my thoughts this week. The lines you quoted from the poem were good to read. The sun is shining today which is so welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some beautiful thoughts from a 'mazy' mind, Lorrie. I loved those lines you jotted in your journal from Shawna's site. Now they are jotted in mine. And the lines from Ann Weems's prayer poem, well, they are absolutely perfect. They are going in my journal too. Thank you!

    I feel refreshed.
    Brenda xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wrote a comment, and it is gone! Sigh.
    A lovey post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. " . . . and the whole world astounded to its knees" brought my mind to this passage in Isaiah:

    He shall judge between the nations,
    And rebuke many people;
    They shall beat their swords into plowshares,
    And their spears into pruning hooks;
    Nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
    Neither shall they learn war anymore.


    What a day that will be!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A perfect poem, Lorrie.

    A miracle is what we need.

    Your lovely photos are such a balm for the soul in these troubled times.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing this beautiful poem, Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! What a prayer for today! I may have to pass it along ...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful photos & touching thoughts. Also my ability of concentrating has blown away. The Finnish nature does not yet offer any confort.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Wander Through my Mind

  Nothing is so beautiful as Spring -  When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush; Gerard Manley Hopkins When I opened my bedroom...