Thursday, July 24, 2008

Stitches


When I was 10 or 11, I asked my mom to teach me how to embroider. I read incessantly and often my heroines from long ago days sat and worked with needle and thread. Little Women, Eight Cousins, the Little House books, Anne of Green Gables - the characters in those books were my companions.

My mom gave me a piece of fabric - I wanted to make a hanky (again, the idea came from my books because we always used disposable tissue.) She had some transfers and helped me press the design onto the cloth, then showed me how to make the stem stitch, lazy daisies and french knots. I remember working on it downstairs in the cool basement during a hot summer.

When I found this little square in my sentimental trunk, I could see myself, bent over my stitching, and I felt the satisfaction I felt then at learning something new, the joy of creating.

When I was a young mom, I rarely sat down without something in my hands - cross stitch, crewel work, embroidery - but I lost that over the years. Now, I'm feeling the urge to embroider again - to thread my needle with beautiful colours, to feel the rhythm of the needle going in and out.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lorrie...

    A charming little piece of cloth and embroidery.
    I am like you...I like the calm and satisfaction of creating with my hands.

    Hope you will share your new pieces.
    Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very sweet! I used to do a little bit of stitching work as a young girl, but eventually lost sight of my love of that sort of handwork. I keep telling myself I would love to get into embroidering but so far, I have an embroidery kit sitting in my craft space but I haven't picked it up. I think after the wedding I might start bringing it with me in my tote bag so when I am waiting places for kids or whatever I can start giving it a try.

    Happy day!

    PS. I redid that style quiz and chose a few different photos but my result came out the same! I wouldn't think I was 'classic country' (in the American sense) but in European terms, that probably does suit me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is quite beautiful for a young girl. Thanks for sharing that bit of nostalgia with us. As for your mozzarella, basil, and tomatoes... aren't summer tomatoes just the best things? Although I have to say I am a little jealous of your basil ...mine is too puny to use! YUMMY photo.

    Happy Friday!
    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lorrie,

    Thank you for your heartfelt comment.
    It was very much appreciated. It has been a difficult time but God has seen us through.

    hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the embroidery! I love sitting and stitching, too...very soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooooh, I want to learn embroidery!! What is it about motherhood that causes us to constantly multi-task?? I always tell my hubby, "I have a way shorter attention span now!" I can sit through a movie, but not without a craft project or a magazine! Weird. ANYway, cute flower--would love to see any future projects!! :)
    -Tab

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...