Monday, December 06, 2021

A Visit to Butchart Gardens

 


One of the traditions that we have enjoyed since our children moved into their own homes is attending some of the special Christmas events in our community. On a recent evening we bundled up and wandered around Butchart Gardens. Near the entrance is a photo opportunity that we took advantage of. Our Persian friends accompanied us and we took photos of each other in the wreath. 


I wonder how many lights the displays use? There are rivers of light pouring down hills and shining in the trees. The Butchart's house is beautifully lighted inside and out. The main floor is now a restaurant. 


Throughout the Gardens we look for the illustrations of The Twelve Days of Christmas song. I did a bit of research about the song in an effort to explain it to our friends. So much of what we do at Christmas has little or nothing to do with the story of Jesus' birth. I discovered that this English song was written during the time when Catholic Christians were forbidden to practice their faith traditions, during the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries. The song has two layers of meaning - the literal, fun one we sing - but the original meaning was a way for young Catholics to learn some of the essentials of their faith. 

For example, the Three French Hens, seen above having tea near the Eiffel Tower, are said to represent the virtues of Faith, Hope, and Charity. "My true love" represents Jesus Christ, whose birth is celebrated on Christmas Day. 

I thought it an interesting bit of history.



The Sunken Garden is awash with lights filling the beds where flowers bloom at other seasons. There are so many features to delight the senses and we took our time, in spite of the cold weather, to stand and enjoy. A mug of hot chocolate in the coffee shop was a great way to warm up afterwards. 

Over the weekend we drove down to Cattle Point and watched the lighted boats sail from the Royal Victoria Yacht Club, another cold and beautiful sight. 

Do you enjoy seeing Christmas light displays? What is available in your area? 


18 comments:

  1. What beautiful lights ! Thank you for sharing.
    We don’t have much Xmas lights in our area , I must go 20 km to my favorite town to see some lights.
    We are going to install some lights outside the house for the Holydays.
    I am going to do some shopping first to do my baking today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s a very nice picture of both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great photo of you both. The Gardens looks like a great place for a wander,

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place! Interesting information on the 12 days of Christmas song. We went to our local botanical gardens the other night to see the lights there. I will be sharing them soon in an upcoming post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I wish so much we could have been there with you - I love Butchart but have only visited in warm weather! You and Tim look awesome, as always. Was the Yacht Club where we met for dinner? Lovely memories of that evening - in fact all the memories of visits to Victoria are wonderful - we love your island as you know!
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. So delightful! Love how you take advantage of this treasure in your own backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sunken gardens are amazing with the colorful lights. We have such mild weather that lots of people decorate their homes so we drive around to look at them. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the beautiful lights!

    You and your hubby make a gorgeous couple!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have wondered if there was a deeper meaning to that song.
    We were at Butchart Gardens once at Christmas and it was so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like the photograph of you both.

    I always enjoy seeing Christmas lights, they are so cheering aren't they.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Te lights are spectacular and must have taken many hours to put together. Very nice photo of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I love looking at what others put up. It is kind of a tradition that sometime before Christmas Day, my sister and I drive around looking at lights.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a super photo of you two in the wreath! Definitely a framer. I never knew that story about the 12 days of Christmas, and it is quite intriguing. We went to a similar light display in Ottawa at Christmas 2017, and I really loved it, as there is nothing like that here. Brisbane has had a competition for Christmas house light displays for many years, but sadly has been dropped this year. I think it is about Covid caution. The Butchart gardens have been on my wish list for a long time - I do hope we get there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow - there are very few lights where I live - mainly because they would all have been blown away in the violent storms. I expect there will be a tree at the cathedral - I live near the smallest city in the UK (st David's) where our tiny town has a huge cathedral

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun for you and Tim to enjoy Butchart Gardens at Christmas time. The pic of the two of you is just darling, Lorrie! I watched my two youngest granddaughters last week and another son and I took them to the Dallas Arboretum which had displays of the 12 Days of Christmas and a darling German Village for kids to explore with a scavenger hunt. Such fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The gardens look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing photos and place I loved

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! How I wish I was close enough to these gardens to visit with each season.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...