Saturday, October 22, 2022

October Daily 22: Puttering

 


It was a puttery sort of day here. Much cooler, with a damp freshness from the little bit of lovely rain we had. More of that to come next week. 
It was the kind of day when there are little things that could be done, but nothing is very urgent. We spent some time in the garden arranging things so that we can transplant a couple of blueberry bushes once the soil is damp. 

I was inspired by Monique (La Table de Nana) to create several bouquets garni for the soups and stews that will simmer this winter. Some bouquets contain the classic French combination of parsley, thyme, and a bay leaf. Others have rosemary, sage, and thyme. I set them on a platter to dry and will pop them into glass jars for storage. 


Gingersnaps are an autumn cookie, and I baked a batch of those this afternoon. It's a recipe that I've made for 40 years or more. The cookbook page is stained with molasses and spices, clearly marking it a favourite.

Time for some reading - another Martin Walker mystery featuring Bruno, and some sewing completed the day. I feel utterly relaxed. 

14 comments:

  1. Hello Lorrie, your little bouquet garni are so pretty, and I bet they smell delicious. I have never made them - I never have all the herbs going at the same time. I think you have provided some inspiration. I do love a ginger cookie and these look very good indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used rosemary, sage and thyme is a chicken stew I made this week. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea with the herbs! Your gingersnaps so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bouquets are neat.I thought at first they're boutonnieres.
    Ginger cookies in fall are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea, the bouquet garni. Alas I only have basil growing. Will have to plan better next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done. We spoke to Jesse in YVR yesterday. He said it wasn't much rain, but better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a yummy kind of puttering. Your gingersnaps look so inviting. And yes, they are perfect for this time of year. Happy week ahead. Bren xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep meaning to reserve the first Martin Walker book from the library. I shall go and do it now. Those ginger cookies look yummy. B x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to make those Gingersnaps this week. They sound like a cookie I'd like. I'm also going to request some of Martin Walker's books but I see that many of them are only available as ebooks at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you are going to putter this is the way to do it! Hooray for puttering!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am taking note of your bouquet garnis. What a great idea and they look so attractive too. Gosh those gingersnaps look good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had been thinking about gingersnap cookies and now I must make some. Yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, now you've got me craving gingersnap cookies! It's funny because I used to dislike ginger teas (too strong for my taste), but now I enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I want a ginger snap! We are still away on vacation and I always look forward to baking again once we get home.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Wander Through my Mind

  Nothing is so beautiful as Spring -  When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush; Gerard Manley Hopkins When I opened my bedroom...