Sunday, October 09, 2022

October Daily 9: Thanksgiving Sunday

 


Thanksgiving Sunday. In Canada the holiday falls on the second Monday of October, but our tradition is to have turkey dinner on Sunday, leaving Monday for relaxation. 

I was up early to put the turkey in the oven and puttered around setting the table and making things look pretty. I wandered out into the garden in bare feet to see what I could find, and ended up with dahlias, grapes, and marigolds to play with. It's still so very warm, although the morning dew was chilly on my feet. 


After morning church everyone converged here, and there was lots of chatting, playing, and helping out until dinner was served around 12:45. By then little Cora was napping upstairs, so she's missing from these quick snapshots taken around the table. 


When I was a child and visiting grandparents for special occasions, there was always one end of the table where we cousins sat, supervised by one of the aunties, I'm sure. There was likely a lot of silliness and fun back then just as there was today where the cousins sat together. 


Ashley brought brussels sprouts, picked fresh from her garden this morning, and how fresh they tasted. Katie brought a beautiful and delicious apple pie cake.


Cristal provided a family favourite - two Chocolate Pecan pies. How delicious everything was. We rolled away from the table. For a big meal such as this, we usually stop at the main course, clean up the kitchen, load the dishes, and wash up what's left (thanks Gerry and Cristal!), before making coffee and tea, and serving dessert in the living room. A little time to digest suits us all well. 


Before sitting down to dinner I had each grandchild choose a mini pumpkin and we went outdoors for a very quick photo shoot. What fun they are! How I love them! 

G. K. Chesterton once said, "I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that happiness is gratitude doubled by wonder." 

I sit here now in the quiet and watch the pink sunset steal across the sky. A white contrail catches the light as it moves westward. Two pine trees stand silhouetted against the horizon. The air coming in through the open doors and windows is cooling dramatically. This moment, this day. I am filled with thanksgiving to God for the people in my life. 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Lorrie~ What a beautiful, Thanksgiving table, and how wonderful that you were able to go into your garden to put it together! The pie and cake look so delicious, dessert is one of the best parts of a Thanksgiving dinner. You have a beautiful family and that is truly something to be grateful for! I loved the quote at the end of your post, "...gratitude doubled by wonder", perfect way to describe our love for family! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfection! I love the Chesterton quote, which perfectly complements the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chesterton was a wise man!

    Beautiful family photos! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful Thanksgiving post! Your table is just lovely, and the photo of the grands is so sweet. I love the GKC quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table setting and centerpiece looks lovely and lovelier still with all the happy faces sitting together at the table. The food looked wonderful including those amazing looking desserts! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your extended family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How blessed you are to get to spend this special day with your family! Everyone looks happy and the food looks amazing! Look how pretty your table is too! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a lovely day all around. Enjoyed seeing all of your photos, especially the grands with the little pumpkins. Precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a very special family day with lots of delicious food. Glad it all went well . B x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful post. I haven't been around much in the last little while; I didn't realize you were doing a post every day in October. I have to go back and catch up. Love your holiday photos and the pics of those delicious looking desserts. Happy Thanksgiving, Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We celebrate Thanksgiving on Sunday too!

    Glad you had a wonderful turkey dinner with the family. The outdoor photo shoot with the grandkids is too cute!

    Happy Thanksgiving, Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving to you! Your table centerpiece is perfect . . . so colorful and fresh and beautiful! Your meal sounds delicious! But the sweet smiles of your dear ones are the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have my post in draft, and I couldn't help but see the similarities in our traditions. I love your fresh table centerpiece and totally relate to scouring the yard for fresh cuttings. Setting the table is always so much fun! Cousins on one end, is another tradition now that the kids don't need a parent beside them. I did place cards and those young ones love checking ahead of time to see where they are sitting! It seems like they feel special to see their name. =) The desserts look amazing! I'm curious about that apple pie cake! A beautiful family you have! We have so much to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of these years I will remember to wish my Canadian friends Happy Thanksgiving! Your day looked wonderful as did the Monday "day after" in your subsequent post -- a perfect way to celebrate the two -day holiday

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Belated Thanksgiving, Lorrie. I loved seeing all those smiling faces around your table. The desserts looked especially delectable and I’m sure everyone loved them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...