Thursday, May 20, 2010

How to Make a Framed Monogram



The idea for this monogram has been rolling around in my head for quite some time but getting around to actually doing something has taken longer. Yesterday morning I finished the course work for my Medieval History - exam on the 7th of June, so I rewarded myself by making this monogram for above our bed. Call me paranoid, but I don't like having anything heavy above the bed - too many earthquake scares. This piece does not have glass in it.


First choose a font. I wanted something flowing, but not too elaborate. This French Script MT seemed just right to me. A less curvy script like Verdana or Arial would give a more modern, graphic look. I printed out the letters, T, L, and O on 8 x 11 paper. The T and L are size 500, the O, 800. 



Cut out the letters. I find using a small pair of scissors, like these suture scissors, easiest.


For the background, lightly spray a piece of white board with silver paint. I did not cover the board completely because I wanted a mottled effect to give some texture. Let it dry.


Arrange the cut out letters on the board, then trace them lightly in pencil.


Paint the letters using black acrylic craft paint. It took two coats to cover thoroughly. A black marker could also be used.


Et voilĂ , a simple, inexpensive monogram. The size is about 16 x 20 (inside), and I chose that size because I had an old frame I wanted to use. Changing the font size means you can make your monogram the size to fit any frame you might have.

I'm encouraging a serene and simple feeling in the master bedroom and I'm very pleased with the way this looks. The silver paint on the mat is almost the same colour as the gray walls. 

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful...serene. I like it!

    And the monogram looks so nice next to all that white tulle in the post below.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! You made me look at what is hanging over the beds...good thing we're not prone to earthquakes here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks very good! From what I can see, your wish for a serene look in your MB is working - just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lorrie,

    I am loving your monogram. It looks very elegant.
    A wedding in September- I bet Ashley is so excited. The wedding and reception sound like a fairy tale.
    I can't wait to see pics.
    The idea of saving the trim from your veil for future grandbabies, made me a little weepy. I think it is a brilliant idea.

    Big hugs,
    Barb

    Thank you for your prayers. We will gladly take all we can get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an elegant and clever idea. I'd be worried about something heavy on the wall above my head, too, if I lived in an area subject to earthquakes. What a great solution and beautiful result.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute idea ... and unique too !! : -)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this and may have to make one too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your kind comment and for including me in your prayers.
    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    Warm greetings,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  10. The monogram is simple but elegant and the slightly distressed frame enhances it beautifully.
    I like the look of the MB so far,what's next?
    ~Maggie~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lorrie -thanks for the comment on my blog. I love the idea of using the daisies from your veil for your grandchildren. My friend has had a grandmother's trunk for years - in the "Hope" chest tradition. A lovely small box would be a special place to save a bit of special lace like this. You're making great progress in the bedroom,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello sweet Lorrie - I'm a new follower of your blog via The Inspired Room! I love your framed monogram. What a great idea. And thank you for the tutorial!

    Blessings,
    Marie
    http://emmacallsmemama.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great in your room. Sweet and very easy decor. Jane F

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simple & elegant. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...