Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Fall Mantel


I've been itching to get at some fall decorating. We left on our vacation the first week of September when it was still summery and warm. Since our return we've had rain, wind and chilly temperatures. Today, however, the sky is bright and clear, with lovely autumn light that has a special pureness.

I turned in my final essay today. Final. I have an exam on Tuesday and then - I'm done my degree. I'm not certain what the future will hold, but I'm know that God will reveal it all in time. 


To celebrate that essay I indulged in a little creativity. When I use old book covers for my handstitched journals, the guts of the book are left behind. I use individual pages for various things, but have a lot of coverless books lying about. I saw these pumpkins at Craftberry Bush and thought, "aha! just the ticket!" They were fast and easy to do. Keen eyes will note that one pumpkin's words are upside down. It wasn't intentional, but it gives a rather whimsical appearance, I think. 

You can see I'm not really into orange, and very little yellow. I'd like to find a nice big red maple leaf to press and dry - but they are still green around here.

The twig wreath in the top picture was another crafty effort, but didn't turn out the way I'd hoped. I had it marked on Pinterest, from The Bungalow Blog. Then I saw Vee's wreath. And so I went out in the dark one night looking for sticks. Obviously, mine are too small. I want to do another one with a little more heft, but in the meantime, I propped this one up with a couple of feathers and a dried leaf. A corner mantel has a lot of space to fill.


11 comments:

  1. Those pumpkins are so cute - I'm already planning them as a hostess gift for Saturday night, when we're invited to dinner at our daughter's future in-laws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pumpkins! I saw apples done this way as well. The words upside down might work very well if it's a book that you really don't want featured...yes, that's what I have from the free pile at the Flea Market. Your twig wreath is well suited for the mantel. I like it! Thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on all your hard work writing essays and exams! Great idea for using book "guts".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pumpkins, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's so pretty.... I love how you decorate!

    And congrats on the final, final essay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Lorrie!

    Those are the cutest things! I love your Fall mantle.

    Happy to hear you are finished with your degree. You certainly have worked diligently on getting that behind you.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Done! CONGRATS. The way will become clear.... eventually. You will survive the waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is not one single thing that I don't love about your mantle.

    For the record the pumpkin books ~ I too make journals and have paper innards lying about. I am totally doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot the most important part. You DID IT! Congratulations. I am SO very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's looking good over on your mantel! Thanks for sharing your crafty fall ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun way to use old unwanted books.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Wander Through my Mind

  Nothing is so beautiful as Spring -  When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush; Gerard Manley Hopkins When I opened my bedroom...