Tuesday, October 08, 2024

Blogtober Eight: A Dreich Day

 


Lerwick on the Shetland Islands, Scotland. Misty skies that turned to a downpour marked our wanderings through the town. In my reading of novels set in Scotland, I'd come across the word "dreich." It seemed to me that this was such a day, but I wanted to make certain. As I lined up to return to the ship, I asked one of the port workers if this was a dreich day. A big grin split his face and he agreed that it was indeed dreich. He thought it great fun that this Canadian would use a local word.  

Today has been another dreich (wet, overcast, gloomy). Little Cora came for the morning and we walked to the park thinking to beat the rain. Alas, we came home with wet jackets and frizzy hair. After taking her to preschool, I changed my clothes and painted a bathroom. We've replaced all of the windows in the house over the past 18 months and a few rooms still need paint. It's good to be nearing the very end of this major house renovation, done in very large part by my husband. I come up with the ideas; he makes them real. Teamwork of the uneven sort. 


On a sunny day I snapped this photo of the naturalized lawn now bright with cyclamen. 


The grocery store has a large flower display area outside the store. It's so full of colour just now - those pots of mums for porches and patios. 



At our family birthday party a couple of weeks ago, we all visited a corn maze, tramping this way and that, turning around at dead ends, and playing a bit of hide and seek. In the middle was a pile of hay bales and pumpkins for picture taking. Here are our five darlings; 4 girls and a boy, all dearly loved and growing up so quickly!


1 comment:

  1. A lovely photo of the Grands: you have only one boy, I have only one girl :) A lawn full of Cyclamen would be heavenly, such a pretty colour. You have set me dreaming again of Scotland, a land I have never seen but would very much like to go.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Blogtober Eight: A Dreich Day

  Lerwick on the Shetland Islands, Scotland. Misty skies that turned to a downpour marked our wanderings through the town. In my reading of ...