Saturday, October 26, 2024

Blogtober Twenty-Six

 



Instructions for living a life:
Pay attention.
Be astonished.
Tell about it.
Mary Oliver


In the night wind tore at the corners of the house, rattling and clattering its way around town. But in the morning, all was calm, with a tiny bit of sunshine. A good day to spend in the garden. I pulled up all of the tomatoes and have the green ones ripening on a platter (or two). A bowl of carrots was pulled and cleaned. Tim organized the raspberries, cutting canes and digging up crowded plants. We chatted with the neighbours over the fence.  



Son came over to pick up the mended soccer jersey and stayed for a bit, catching us up on all the happenings in his family's world. I made a beef stew for tomorrow, this one a very different dish to what I normally make. It has quince and prunes and tomatoes in it. We will see what the verdict is tomorrow.


Squirrels run through our garden and on the patio, digging for treasure or burying it in my flower pots. I'll be planting spring bulbs in the pots soon. I've learned to cover them with mesh, well fastened with sticks along the edges, to prevent the cute pesky critters from digging up and eating the bulbs.

An ordinary day that has been very satisfying. We'll spend the evening visiting with my brother and sister-in-law who are here overnight. I'll work on my stitching while chatting. 


8 comments:

  1. Dearest Lorrie,
    That describes a perfect late October day!
    Garden and Family with home cooked food is pure bliss.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relaxed.
    I believe the beautiful autumn brings peace and relaxation.
    Mended jersey... I have to mend some knitted socks for the grandson :-))
    I can imagine your beef stew very well... be sure to write what it was like, yes, I would like to taste it :-)) Yesterday I made jam from small cranberries from the market and then I tried it from the large cranberries that are now fresh in the store... delicious.
    It's fun to try things out.
    A hug for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squirrels are very naughty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ordinary days and long to have another one sooner than I think I will! We got back a couple of days ago to some chaos (on the blog so won't go into it here). Seeing these lovely photos is a calming way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That photo of the bird is amazing. Sounds like a very satisfying day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:05 AM

      This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous8:03 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your storms have been making the news here! Whew.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Blogtober Twenty-Six

  Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it. Mary Oliver In the night wind tore at the corners of the hous...