Wednesday, October 09, 2024

Blogtober Nine: A bit of This and That

 


It was interesting to read Barbara's comment about chrysanthemums being a funeral flower in France. It was the same in Ecuador. In the small jungle town where we first lived, there were no florist shops or flower stands at the market, but the funeral home had flowers and Tim occasionally bought some there for me. 

Today was much sunnier. The autumn crocuses (colchicum autumnale) are blooming now. They are known as "naked ladies" because they bloom without any leaves. I wonder who comes up with these names? 


I find the allium bulbs so sculptural, and cut four of them for a tall vase that's outside on the patio. 


A bouquet of sunflowers from a friend is a cheery sight on the dining room table. 
I was hoping that one coat of paint would be enough on the bathroom, but this morning's light revealed a few skimpy patches that needed to be re-rolled. That's done now, and I've tidied up the drop cloths and painting paraphernalia. We'll wait a day or two before re-hanging the towel bars and mirror to let the paint harden. I always get impatient to put it all back together, but it is best to wait. 


Our son gave me a large bowl of tomatoes from his garden. I made Crispy Baked Tomatoes for dinner one night. The tomatoes are unbaked in the photo above. Today I roasted a large pan of tomatoes and froze them. They make wonderful soup, or are good on a pastry crust for a simple tart. There are still more tomatoes to use up, so there might be some sauce in the making. I confess that I'm ready for the garden produce to take a break! 

We're thinking of Florida this evening and watched a bit of coverage of Hurricane Milton just coming ashore. We have friends in the area and so hope that they are out of harm's way. Weather can be truly dreadful. 



4 comments:

  1. We could never buy my mother in law chrysanthemums for the very same reason. I think a lot of older people feel the same. I must admit I prefer dahlias. Well done on the bathroom. Funny how you call them drop cloths. We call them dust sheets over here. Enjoy your sunshine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrysanthemums are funeral flowers in France especially in November.People don’t put them in their house, except me! I love these flowers and I am not superstitious!
    Today I will star painting a piece of furniture for our grandsons bedroom and grandpa is going to build another Ikea bed for the little one .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Lorrie,
    As for the chrysanthemums, to me they are associated with a typical graveside plant in The Netherlands. When I was gifted chrysanthemums in my first year here, for hosting a dinner, I had mixed feelings... But you slowly adjust to a different culture and really appreciate their happy colors for use in the fall.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:29 AM

    They must have a shortage of chrysanthemums now, since their failed open border policy has resulted in steep increases in murder, migrant crime and gang violence.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Blogtober Nine: A bit of This and That

  It was interesting to read Barbara's comment about chrysanthemums being a funeral flower in France. It was the same in Ecuador. In the...