Saturday, October 05, 2024

Blogtober Five: Saturday in October

 


Hiking or walking? When I put one foot in front of another in my neighbourhood I call it walking, even if I'm going through the woods. Hiking takes more effort and the terrain is rougher. Today's outing was definitely a hike. Up and down, clambering over rocks, huffing and puffing at the steep climbs. Several hours out in the woods on an October afternoon was most lovely. 


Trees here are mostly coniferous; cedar, hemlock, and fir, with some deciduous golden maples whose leaves turn yellow and brown rather than red. 


We arrive at McKenzie Bight, a shallow curve along the shoreline. The streams are dry, but will soon fill as the autumn rains come. Gentle waves lap at the shoreline, clouds dull the sky, and not a bird in sight. A crow caws loud and insistent from the top of a tree, but we never catch a glimpse.


A cluster of barnacles clings to a rock, visible at low tide. Tiny black snails perch among the rough barnacles. 


Mountains march right down to the shoreline along much of our coast. 


Native arbutus trees (arbutus menziesii) grow within 8 kilometres (5 miles) of the ocean. The tree's distinctive peeling bark has earned it the name of "crazy lady tree" because only a crazy lady would take off her clothes in the winter time.


Our hike took about three hours - I did a bit of housekeeping, made soup, and read for the remainder of the day. Mellow. 


Bright rosehips against the forest, anchored on both sides by cobwebs. One thing I really dislike is walking into a cobweb. The feel of it on my face has me brushing frantically. This week I walked with my youngest grandchild, 3 1/2. She wanted to play hide and seek, so off she went into the woods. I kept an eye out while pretending to not watch her, so she didn't go too far. When I heard a sharp scream I asked what was wrong. Nothing. Not a peep. She stood there, frozen, completely silent, wide-eyed. Then I noticed the cobweb, with a little bug on it, across her cheek. When I brushed it away, she relaxed, but thought we should stay on the path. 

Evening now. Lamps are glowing. A bouquet of sunflowers sits on the table. Time to get out some stitching and later watch Midsomer Murders. 

Thank you to those who are following along with Blogtober. It's a fun challenge, and it's never to late to join in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Blogtober Five: Saturday in October

  Hiking or walking? When I put one foot in front of another in my neighbourhood I call it walking, even if I'm going through the woods....