Sunday, October 13, 2024

Blogtober Thirteen: Happy Thanksgiving!

 


There be three gentle and goodlie things
To be here
 To be together
And to think well of one another

L.M. Montgomery (from Pat of Silver Bush)



We put all the leaves in the dining room table to make room for 13 of us to sit down to dinner. Often, we have a children's table in the kitchen. It's nice to have everyone together from time to time. Everyone was very well behaved, even the adults! Lots of laughter and chatter.

It's become usual to eat our main meal, then clean up the dishes before dessert. Today was so warm and sunny that we all drifted outdoors to eat dessert. My eldest daughter made two luscious Cranberry Curd Pies, and my youngest daughter brought fruit with a chocolate dip and a caramel peanut dip. I contributed Pumpkin Pie. There is LOTS of pie leftover. 

Everyone goes home with enough leftovers for another meal of turkey with all the trimmings. Now the house is quiet again. Turkey broth is simmering on the stove.


 "I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; 
and that happiness is gratitude doubled by wonder." 

G. K. Chesterton


A quiet evening is ahead. We'll maybe nibble on some leftovers. I'll settle in with a new book. The evening is cooling off and we'll close the windows as dusk settles in. 

Thank you to those who read my blog, and to those who comment. I'm grateful for each one of you. 










3 comments:

  1. Your table is lovely! I, too, love those occasions when young and old gather around one table! Beautiful memories are made during those times. Your desserts sound yummy. How to choose? Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorrie - belated Happy Thanksgiving! I think it is wonderful that everyone was able to sit around the same table - we are headed to my nephew's wedding in Nashville on Saturday, and I am so excited to see the extended family! I am curious about the Cranberry Curd pie - I think this is the first time I have heard of it - I probably could find a recipe on the web, or perhaps you could share it with me? Have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:28 PM

    Cranberry Curd Pie is a new idea for me -- I didn't see it on your recipe site but I found several examples online, and it sounds really yummy. Maybe I will try one this Thanksgiving... do you have any tips for how to choose which version? Maybe they are all the same -- I haven't looked yet.

    Your Thanksgiving celebration sounds just delightful in every way. That you have that many family members sitting around one table on one day is a priceless gift.

    Gretchen Joanna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Blogtober Thirteen: Happy Thanksgiving!

  There be three gentle and goodlie things To be here  To be together And to think well of one another L.M. Montgomery (from Pat of Silver B...