Monday, October 21, 2024

Blogtober Twenty-one:

 



When I walked into the living room mid-morning, sun shining on the dahlias had standing still for a few seconds before running for my camera. What a welcome sight after the weekend deluge. 



October gave a party; the leaves by hundreds came
The Ashes, Oaks, and Maples, and leaves of every name.
The sunshine spread a carpet, and everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing, Professor Wind the band.
George Cooper

No dahlia petals are mentioned in the lines above, but it felt like a party on the mantel today. Sunshine gives me energy. 


I began cutting back the rosebushes today. Buds continue to form, but the job needs to be done. I saved a small vaseful. A little granddaughter was here with me for a few hours and she collected rose hips, dropped petals, and coloured leaves. We also read stories. I let her choose the books and am surprised at how often she will choose one that is in both English and Spanish. I don't translate them for her, and she is happy to listen to both languages. 


A friend gave us a bag of quince. Or is it quinces? Quinces - I just looked it up. They are so fragrant, perfuming the air around them with a floral scent. Related to roses, apples, and pears, quinces are relatively new to me. They are not eaten raw and take a bit of effort to core as the insides are very hard. 

I poached quarters of them in a spiced wine syrup, then cooled them at room temperature before filling them with a dollop of strained yogurt mixed with vanilla and icing sugar. A sprinkle of pistachios on top. They turn from pale yellow to deep crimson when cooked. I have more quinces and plan to make this again. They have almost a citrus flavour with a hint of floral. Hard to describe, but delicious. 





I took Cora to pre-school just before noon, then returned home and spent some time at my sewing machine. So satisfying. The jeans and trousers are hemmed and I started on another project. 

I thought you might enjoy seeing another one of the magnificent west coast trees, this one a Red Cedar. I like the way a smaller tree is growing up from its roots, and the burl that seems to curl around the slender tree in a hug. 

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Lorrie,
    That Dahlia looks almost like a still life painting from one of the Dutch Masters... Light is the most important ingredient!
    Quince is common in Italy and also in Spain and Portugal they know the delicious Membrillo paste . We enjoyed that in México City with our boss who hailed from Spain. It got served with Manchego cheese.
    The Red Cedar is indeed a majestic tree! Our home, designed by my husband Pieter, got built with Red Cedar and Pieter had them use less distances between the roof beams for more sturdiness. So far it has proven to be strong throughout all tornados and hurricanes. Of course our Canadian Aged Copper aluminum roof also helps as that got installed over the original shingles. Great insulation and lifetime warranty.https://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2013/08/our-home-with-aluminum-interlock.html
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Blogtober Twenty-one:

  When I walked into the living room mid-morning, sun shining on the dahlias had standing still for a few seconds before running for my came...