Thursday, October 03, 2024

Blogtober Three: Cozy

 


There is something so cheerful about a round orange pumpkin. I grew five of them this year, but only one butternut squash. It was an odd year in the garden, and I'm thankful that I don't have to rely entirely on what I grow or I would become extremely thin. 

The pumpkins will become soup and possibly pie. One will be a jack-o-lantern at the end of the month. For now they sit outside on the back step, on a table on the front porch, adding to the autumnal feel in the air. I'll keep a watch out for frost and bring them in, for it would be a shame to lose them. 


Teacher Daughter's classes are in the afternoons this semester, so we've been walking or getting together for coffee once a week in the mornings. It's so lovely to walk just now. Leaves are showing colour and the temperature is just right. 

Lucy of Attic 24 crochets beautiful blankets. I've admired them for years, but I'm so slow at crocheting that I've never stitched one. But never say never. Her post for today talked about getting out the stack of blankets for coziness. I pulled some of my lap quilts and made a stack of them. I think it might be time to begin another. I like the scrappy look with lots of different fabrics. 


In autumn I pull out one of the first quilting projects I did - a table square with maple leaves. When we lived in the tropics it reminded me of faraway fall at home in Canada.


Today I worked outside, sweeping the patio and emptying some pots of their summer flowers. The petunias are looking very leggy, but are so cheerful that I can't bring myself to pull them just now. Probably next week. I find that when I go outside to work in the garden, I don't want to come inside. There's always more weeds to pull or pots to clean. Rain is coming tomorrow, so it was good to spend time outdoors today. 




4 comments:

  1. I know that feeling about the garden. Time seems to disappear once you start work out there. This time of year there is so much to do as everything starts to die back.
    I’m always in awe of your patchwork quilts. They look so beautiful. I have one that still needs completing that my mother in law was working on before she died. I really should finish it as it would be perfect for my granddaughter. Have a lovely day. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your orange pumpkins and quilts are so pretty and totally speak of Autumn. Love your maple leaf patchwork, quite lovely. We have been fortunate to visit Canada in all four seasons at various times, and Autumn/Fall is definitely the most beautiful, I feel. Wish I was there again! I can see that the seasons make you work in the garden, getting ready for the next chapter of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely your quilts are and they do look cosy all stacked up and ready to use on cool evenings. Pumpkins always look bright and cheerful at this time of year:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the stack of quilts. I really should do some puttering on the property. Sounds like we'll get just a touch of your rain here. Happy Friday to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Blogtober Three: Cozy

  There is something so cheerful about a round orange pumpkin. I grew five of them this year, but only one butternut squash. It was an odd y...