Saturday, October 19, 2024

Blogtober Nineteen

 


Pumpkins are such a cheerful looking squash, round and orange. Five of them grew in my garden and I'm using them up in different ways. One went into a large batch of Pumpkin Herb Soup. Tonight we had family over and I thought the little girls might like Dinner in a Pumpkin. They quite liked the idea, and thought the filling of ground meat, onions and carrots in a creamy sauce delicious, but the scooped out pumpkin wasn't such a hit. The rest of us enjoyed it! 


Usually I discard the seeds, not wanting to bother with cleaning them. However, today I washed them and roasted them with some butter, Worcestershire sauce, and herbs. They are quite addictive once I start eating them. Crunchy and salty are my weakness. 


My cousin from Wales was over about ten days ago. She brought me a current issue (November) of UK Country Living. They are available in some bookstores here, but always a month or two behind. I've been saving the magazine for just the right moment. So far I've just paged through it and will spend more time with it tomorrow.

We are glad we came home from our getaway yesterday. Today the road to Port Renfrew is closed due to flooding. And the town's water treatment plant has been shut down, also due to the rain. It has poured down for most of the day. When I awoke this morning, there was no rain and I decided to go for a walk immediately. Before any breakfast. I'm glad I did for the rain started in earnest shortly after I got home and has barely let up all day. Tomorrow will be the same. 

8 comments:

  1. Your pumpkins sound amazing, especially the Pumpkin Herb Soup 😋
    Dinner in a Pumpkin is such a cool idea.

    Enjoy your UK Country Living magazine, Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Lorrie,
    You certainly enjoyed some cozy family time with good food, filled in a pumpkin. The soup no doubt was good too, especially when days turn rather gloom from rain.
    Roasted pumpkin seeds are good. As a matter of fact I had a huge ziplock bag with mixed pumpkin seeds and such on the way over to Japan and back. That was when I was the chaperone of a group of teenagers and we fled the Tsunami over there by flying a day earlier home for safety. Skipping lunch, that bag proved to be a life saver for the entire group!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our grandkids do their pumpkin carving this week. The seeds are always a huge hit with them. I have never used pumpkin for baking or cooking though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been enjoying your daily posts this month, Lorrie. Thanks for another fun read about pumpkins, your new magazine, and a walk before breakfast to miss the rain. We're slotted for a rainy afternoon here so I'm heading out for a walk soon before everything gets soggy. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your rain has made its way over to us! I enjoyed that magazine too. I get it free on a library app called PressReader. If you are a member of a library you might be able to use the same app. I gather it’s worldwide. B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good thing that you got back before the bad weather hit. Pumpkins are not a big thing here though some smaller farms are selling them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Country Living' is popular here, one of my daughter-in-laws takes, so I catch up with it when I am staying with them. Butternut Squash is our favourite pumpkin and I have just made some soup with one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son that lives with me is the one who roasts the pumpkin seeds now, Lorrie, which is fine by me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Blogtober Nineteen

  Pumpkins are such a cheerful looking squash, round and orange. Five of them grew in my garden and I'm using them up in different ways....